Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

I have a question: Did I overreact and was too cautious? Here's what happened:

On Wednesday I had an appointment for my annual mammogram. I went to a new (to me) facility, and got lost wandering around to find the place. After finally getting to the place, on time, one of the computers was down, and the waiting room was packed. I was told to take a seat, which I did.

One of the other women who was waiting asked the receptionist for the ladies room. The receptionist told her that the building had a plumbing problem, that there was no water, that there were rest rooms but no running water. I sat there taking it in, and I began to think about the X-ray techs and staff who had used the rest room all day, which didn't flush, and no washing of hands, only I suppose, hand sanitizer. And something in me just snapped, and I decided to leave. I didn't want to expose myself to that kind of environment.

I told the receptionist I was leaving, and why - due to the plumbing problem - and she assured me that I could clean my hands using hand sanitizer. I told her that my concern was not for my hands, but for the hands of the people who would be taking care of me. I told her that it was very unsanitary and that I would be cancelling my appointment and leaving. We went back and forth a little bit, and I won't bore you with the details, I just wanted to make sure medicare didn't get billed and I wouldn't get billed for a "no-show" at the appointment.

I second guessed myself all the way home, because the traffic to and from the place was horrendous, my knees hurt from all the walking around looking for the place, including walking up three flights of stairs of about 10 steps each, which is way beyond where I am at with my knees, and I was just generally in a terrible mood. However, I just didn't want to expose myself to anything, 15 weeks out from surgery, especially after all the problems and infections I have had with my stitches.

When I got home I actually felt relieved. I went online and found a different place to get the mammogram, closer to home, which takes my insurance and they had my doctor's name on file, and got an appointment for a couple of weeks out. How could that other place keep the medical center open all day with all those people in and out using the bathroom facility with no ability to flush and no ability to use soap and water? I would think it was a health department violation.

Anyway, that was my adventure on Wednesday, and my knees are still a little sore from all of it. Did I overreact? Well, of course I want you to say, no ML, of course not, you did the right thing protecting yourself. I think bottom line is I have to do what I think is right in a situation like that, and it just didn't feel right to stay. Thanks for reading and comments are welcome.

Happy New Year to all! Stay warm to all the smarties who are cold today. I hear its pretty brutal in parts of the US.
 
It doesn’t matter whether or not you overreacted. What matters is that you did what was right for you! I applaud you for going with your instincts! Too often I don’t go with my instincts and just go with the flow, no matter how much I don’t want to. You have inspired me to do better on that!
 
The loooonnnnggggg saga of my skin issues continue, but I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I went to my dermatologist today, with my surgeon's blessing. While my stitch abscesses have 90% healed, I have a rash with peeling skin on both knees. My surgeon thought it might be a fungus, but after treating it for a month with anti-fungal cream with no resolution, I made the appointment with the dermatologist, and I'm so glad I did.

My dermatologist has the best bed side manner, she is so sweet, caring and supportive. She looked me over closely, and pronounced that I do not have any fungus at all on my knees. What I have is psoriasis, which is a form of autoimmune response that can sometimes occur after surgery in the incision area, due to the stress and trauma. She prescribed a cream and asked me to come back in a month. She assured me there was no infection whatsoever, and that she was confident the rash would disappear with the treatment, although she did said it might reappear at some point. However, it was such a relief to hear all that, because I had been feeling that I was going to be dealing with disgusting things like abscesses and fungus on my beautiful new knees for the years to come.

Also to update now that I am four months old in the knee area, and just turned 73 last week, I feel like I am doing fabulously well. I am up to 11 minutes on the stationary bike with no hassle, I can go downstairs fairly well although slowly, and upstairs slowly as well. I continue my daily walks, and I was even able to walk part of the pier on my birthday with my son after he took me to lunch. I have missed walking the pier. I did have some discomfort for a few days after the long walk down from parking to pier, but that has completely resolved.

I still feel a bit edgy from time to time, in that I just don't want to deal with any hassles. I am back tutoring my students, and it really is a stretch for me right now. However, it is good to keep my mind occupied, and I can always use the money. I make sure to get up from my desk and walk around for at least five minutes between students.

Sleep has improved immensely as well. I can sleep comfortably on either side with a pillow between my knees. I continue to ice and elevate at least once a day, and many times twice.

All in all, life is good!
 
You're not imagining it: you're doing wonderfully! That walk on the pier sounds worth having the surgery all by itself. And just think, there's more like that to come. :roseshwr:

I too developed an eccentric skin rash about five to six months out from surgery. Mine took the form of hives on my arms and one spot of psoriasis near but not on my left knee. My dermatologist too said the rashes were an autoimmune response to my surgery. I'd been afraid of metal allergy or something dire, but it's just one of those strange things that sometimes happen. The rash went away. I'm glad yours, too, is nothing serious. Annoying is bad enough!

Glad too to hear you're back to work, even if it is a stretch. Your energy and equilibrium should improve rapidly now that you're over the hump and it will all become easier and more rewarding soon.
 
I'd been afraid of metal allergy or something dire, but it's just one of those strange things that sometimes happen.

@SusieShoes I confess I have worried about that a bit too, with the monkey mind logic of well if I'm allergic to the suture material causing abscesses, and having an autoimmune reaction of psoriasis, will I develop an allergy to the metal in the implants. I also confess I thought of that pre surgery as well. But everything I read is that the metals in the implants are neutral, tested, and very rarely cause problems. So basically, I'm not going to borrow trouble, there's enough other stuff going on to worry about something that hasn't happened, and probably won't happen. I had lung surgery 25 years ago after a spontaneous pneumothorax, and the staples they used to repair the lung have never given me a bit of problem. Ever. They are probably some kind of plastic and not metal, but still. . . .
 
Metal was an early concern of mine, too, because I react to some jewelry. My OS tested me for metal allergies and... I'm moderately allergic to gold. This surprised me because I wear gold ALL the time, including my wedding band. As for nickel, barely at all. The allergist said I should not have a problem. Still, that's not the same as "no possibility whatsoever of a problem." The mind will go there, as you know.

I'm glad you never had an issue with your thoracic staples. A pneumothorax is a scary event no one would care to repeat!

I think when it comes to something as monumental as new knees --if they fail, what are our options?-- it's natural to become a little hyper-vigilant. As long as we know that's what we're doing, we're good. :wink:
 
I'm glad you never had an issue with your thoracic staples. A pneumothorax is a scary event no one would care to repeat!

@SusieShoes I agree except I am sometimes so not in touch with my body, I apparently walked around with the thing collapsed for about a week. When I finally went to the doctor, she sent me across the street to the hospital, and I never left the building for 12 days. It was pretty traumatic, but it all got fixed. I was waiting for bar exam results for the second time, after not passing the first time. And I had a teenager at home as a single mom. And I only had short term, interim health insurance, pre-Obamacare, and after I got results which said I passed, and got a job in a small firm, I couldn't get health insurance for a long time because of my pre-existing condition. Remember those days? Awful.

I think when it comes to something as monumental as new knees --if they fail, what are our options?-- it's natural to become a little hyper-vigilant. As long as we know that's what we're doing, we're good. :wink:

I have had that "if we fail" thought so many times, especially in the early days when no one was sure if I was developing cellulitis, and then all the other stitch problems. I am grateful for some peace and relative physical comfort which is going on in my life right now, and feeling satisfied with small victories, like my pier walk last week.

I am just back from getting a mammogram, and I have four student assignments to review for tomorrow. I'm going for a walk after I finish a couple of them. I hope you are having a great day back there in PA. Stay warm and be careful when walking outside - do you still do your walks when it is so cold?

ML
 
I hope everyone is doing well on this January week-end.

I am still swollen at a little over 4 months, and wondering if others have experienced this? My right knee is only slightly swollen. My left knee is on the border between slight and medium, maybe more slight than medium, but definitely more than the right knee. The left knee has been a bit more of a problem child from the date of the surgery, but it's still progressing very well with walking and stationary bike, as well as stairs. Nothing too drastic, 15 - 20 minutes of walking, 12 minutes on the stationary bike, and up and down a flight of 15 stairs once a day. I feel much more in control when walking - when I first started walking after surgery I felt like I was staggering all over the place. Probably wasn't as bad as it felt, but if I was walking with someone I'd say - "oops, last drink I had".

Also, I am experiencing what I only can describe as modified zingers. About five or so weeks ago I was really experiencing quite sharp zingers, but they have definitely mellowed. I'm still getting them from time to time, seems like they originate in the areas that are swollen. Also, I am very comfortable sleeping on my side most nights, but once in a while I'll wake up because lefty is hurting. When I switch over to my back the pain subsides.

I do ice and elevate daily, usually twice a day, once after my exercise and once at night before bed.

Any feedback would be so appreciated. I know if I was commenting on these thoughts on someone else's post I'd be reminding them that four months is only 1/3 of the way through the year's journey, that they are doing great, keep up the moderate exercise and icing and elevating, one day you will notice the swelling is less, and then one day it will be gone. Am I getting this advice to myself correct? Thanks smarties.
 
I am still swollen at a little over 4 months,
Nothing too drastic, 15 - 20 minutes of walking, 12 minutes on the stationary bike, and up and down a flight of 15 stairs once a day
Stairs should be OK (I did them right from the off) but I wonder if 32 minutes of exercise is too much? I suggest you think about going back to just 2 minutes on the bike (more than once a day if you like), zero resistance, the saddle set as low as you can.

I feel much more in control when walking - when I first started walking after surgery I felt like I was staggering all over the place.
So did I, hardly a surprise, the knees are Brand New!
 
but I wonder if 32 minutes of exercise is too much? I suggest you think about going back to just 2 minutes on the bike (more than once a day if you like), zero resistance, the saddle set as low as you can.

Well, I guess it never occurred to me that I was overdoing the stationary bike, and that might be what is contributing to the zingers, swelling and occasional night pain. Thank you Roy. That is the beauty of this forum, by putting my question out there I get objective feedback. I will definitely reduce the stationary bike. I built up to the 12 minutes gradually, but as I think back on it, the zingers and occasional nighttime discomfort are a fairly recent occurrence. I have been doing it at 0 resistance all along, but I am going to cut back time-wise. I'll post again in a week or so with a report. Love this forum!
 
Think of it as a stretch, not an exercise. You shouldn't have a high pulse rate nor be breathing heavily, and you pedal nice and slowly.
 
Think of it as a stretch, not an exercise. You shouldn't have a high pulse rate nor be breathing heavily, and you pedal nice and slowly.

Thanks Roy. That has been my approach, slow and steady, no elevated pulse or breathing. So no cowboy stuff on the stationary bike. But I do notice that after about 4 or so minutes, the muscles in the back of my knees start to cramp and hurt. But, like the novice I am, I just power through because I'm thinking I'm helping to strengthen those muscles. The old Jane Fonda no pain no gain. I will stop doing that. Period. Two minutes - no more. Starting today! :)
 
Also, I am very comfortable sleeping on my side most nights, but once in a while I'll wake up because lefty is hurting. When I switch over to my back the pain subsides..
I found the knee sensitive to some positions or movements for several months, but it gradually went away.
 
Hello smarties: I wanted to post my latest update on my skin conditions post-surgery in the incision areas of both knees. Here's the history: First 10 days post-surgery, stitches weepy. Then inflamed. Then staples come out, diagnosis of possible superficial cellulitis (my doctor's description), antibiotics, infection cleared up. Then at six weeks abscesses form on both knees, I'm rejecting the subcutaneous dissolving sutures, and as old abscesses heal, new ones pop up. At about 2 1/2 months, one of the darn things pop and bleed. Doc puts me on antibiotics. Return to doc at 3 months for follow up. Abscesses healing well, but now he says I have fungus on both knees. Get otc anti fungal cream and apply twice a day. Finally at almost four months, I have had it with the skin stuff. Go to dermatologist, she says NO FUNGUS. But I do have a touch of psoriasis on knees, which is autoimmune reaction to the stress of incisions. Not that common, but she has seen it before. Prescribes coticosteroid cream. And guess what, one week later and the rash is almost completely gone. For the first time since my surgery, all that is on my knees are the scars from the stitches, and the remnants of three of the abscesses. No itching, nothing. I may even be able to shave my legs pretty soon. Wouldn't that be something after over four months.

So I guess I want to say that I am very happy to see the back side of that rash. My dermatologist did say that the psoriasis might flare up again, but it is nothing serious and no infection or fungus is present. Music to my ears.

And I cut back on the stationary bike in the past two days to none yesterday and four minutes today, and no zingers and no knee pain tonight. But I did do my 20 minute walk and 15 stairs up and down. Grateful am I.
 
Hooray for the last of the rash (even if it might flare up again). Rashes are annoying. I too had/have an autoimmune skin rash and my dermatologist said the same thing, and that mine should go away altogether in time. Right now the hives are down to one or two bumps every third or fourth week. Maybe yours will be the same and become little more than a faded memory in a year. Guess we got to be in the unlucky percent for post-TKR autoimmune skin rashes.

Everything else about your recovery sounds great! It’s such a great feeling to be able to stretch your legs in bed and feel just a gentle, welcome stretch inside the knees again. Almost normal. Sure, there’s the occasional day where a knee decides to act up a little, but by and by those lovely victories become your everyday.
 
Right now the hives are down to one or two bumps every third or fourth week. Maybe yours will be the same and become little more than a faded memory in a year. Guess we got to be in the unlucky percent for post-TKR autoimmune skin rashes.

@SusieShoes Yup we are in the 1% - so did your doc prescribe an ointment or is it just playing out on the natch, your rash that is. Also, are you still walking and writing and all that other good stuff? You are about four months ahead of me, so you have been my upperclassman (remember how the upperclassman in school seemed so sophisticated and knowledgable?) Aren't we just awesome!!!!!!!!!!
 
So recently I got up from the stationary bike in our fitness room here at the place where I live, and for some reason I stood still in front of the full length mirror, pulled my slacks up over my knees and stared. I am no longer bow legged!!!!! My bone on bone had gotten so bad on my right leg prior to surgery that I had become bow legged in my right knee. And here's another thing - when I left rehab about 10 days after my surgery, they weighed and measured me. I had gained an inch in height - is that possible? Over the years I had lost about 1 1/2 inches, but now it seems I've gained an inch back. Will wonders never cease? Or did they just measure wrong at the rehab place? Anyone else gain any inches (in height, not gain any inches around - lol.)

And while I'm posting I wonder if anyone has any advice for me. I am moving next month, and I'm not exactly sure how that will play out with my new knees at what will be close to six months out from surgery at that time. It is a long-planned move that had to get postponed from last year because my knees got so bad I had to have the surgery before I could undertake the move. Now a great little apartment has opened up in the city I am moving to, and I feel like I need to grab this opportunity and run with it. I'm just a little apprehensive about the physicality of the move. My son and his wife are planning to come and pack me up and ship my stuff, and we will fly out together. I am moving to a whole new state, and will live about a mile from them and my two little grand girls. I work at home on the internet, so my work can come with me. Any thoughts or advice? (Hmmm, let me see what I would tell me if I were responding: Take lots of breaks, don't overdo, move slowly to avoid any falls, ice and elevate frequently, don't be surprised if you become emotional, take it one day at a time, let your young and strong children do most of the hard stuff. How did I do?)

Thanks bonesmarties. I love this forum. I have become addicted to reading all the latest posts every night for an hour or so before bed. It makes me feel so connected.
 
I know the move will be stressful but what a joy to be close to your grand girls. That is exactly what I did when my youngest started her family. I was able to convert my job to remote and then I was off from Tucson AZ to Rhode Island.

I’m hoping I will regain some height as i couldn’t straighten my legs and stood a bit bent over

Best of luck for upcoming move and thank you for posting. So great to be able to track felloe BTKR
 
I think your advice to yourself was right on!

Will there be any stairs involved? If so going up and down them repeatedly could be a problem.

A while back I read about a member that was moving at 6 months and she had been doing well, but all the trips up and down the stairs seemed to be a big part of what caused her a lot of pain and swelling.

That’s great you’re moving close to your kids! I am in Delaware and both my daughters and families are in Ohio. My son and his wife live about an hour and a half away in NJ.

The not so funny part is, my husband and I lived in Ohio from 2008-2015, he had a job transfer. My daughters were both in PA, one in Philadelphia and one in Scranton. My husband retired and we moved back east (we are from NJ) One year later one daughter moved to Ohio and the next year the other one did. So much for moving to be near our kids!

But we are now in a nice 55+ community with friends and things to do. We had almost no social life when we lived in Ohio.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom