Second TKA in 9 months due to metal allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was real concerned about possible reaction to metal component as I react to watch backs and several things cause contact dermatitis. I mentioned this to OS and he said in view of that he would be using a Smith & Nephew implant designed for people with nickel sensitivity. I was not tested.

So far everything has been great! Of course this is early in the game for me - tomorrow will be one week. The muscle relaxant did cause me to itch like crazy. That was quickly taken care of.
 
It took about 3 months to notice that I was not doing as well as others much older and out of shape than I was. It was during my pool therapy that I felt that I should be flexing a lot more, working with my pers 2 days a week. The OS still hesitated doing anything until 6 months post op.
Just be aware of your improvement on your ROM. Remember that it"s your body and you know it better than anyone else.
Stay positive and it will all work out. I already started on the bike doing full rotations day 13 post op for 20 min. twice a day. The first TKA took me 5 months to get my first very painful rotation.

Positive energy is the best healer.
 
Great on your rotation. It has to be a huge relief to see this rehab going smoother. My ROM was 90 yesterday at day 6 postop. The therapist is very pleased with that ROM. I like going to PT.
 
You are doing very well. My ROM after the first TKA was only at 82 after 48 days. Back from PT today and it's at 94 at day 18. Riding the bike 7 miles twice a day now, feeling great. ( stationary bike) really looking forward to the American River bike trails again.
 
Having never heard of American River bike trail before, I just looked it up. How nice to have that to look forward to.
 
Firefighter57, you have been through alot. I had not heard of the metal allergy before. Its such a hard surgery to recover from and you added problems. I am sure you will do very well now, good luck:angel:
 
An old friend had a TKR in her late 50s, she went through 14 months of agony only to find out she had a metal allergy. Her OS told her it usually the nickel in the alloy. If you react to something like a metal top button in your jeans, that is a warning sign. Before my 1st TKR, I asked about getting tested for a metal allergy. It is expensive ($300-600), many insurance companies don't cover it. Furthermore, there are a lot of false positives and false negatives with the blood test. Fortunately I am not allergic (so far) to metals.
 
Dawgster, I had 9 months of hell before the TKR now I'm post op 8 weeks and the ROM is up to 104. It's a slow recovery due to all the damage the first one caused with excess scar tissue etc. The first knee had a 1 inch anchor drilled into the bone, this one is 7 inches in both directions. I'm doing therapy 4 days a week, 2 in the pool and 2 at the clinic.
I do feel improvement and looking forward to a full recovery.
 
I have a friend who had the same experience---although she went through four years of hell. At the end, her rom was 60. it was painful to watch her walk. This summer she got a new Oxinium knee and also discovered that her knee had been infected with a pathogen that did not show up in the first tests. Apparently this one takes a 14 day culture and the usual culture is 7 days.

She is now recovering also. We had a beer together last night and sat at the bar---I was so happy to see her sitting there with a normal bend in that knee. She is at three months and has a rom of 125. Keep on working, I think you will also experience this type of recovery. We are going to ski together this winter ---I am so happy for her and for you!!
 
Fiefighter57... Would love to chat with you because I suffered over 16 months before getting my revision November 13. I am so frustrated that doctors don't question their patients about metal allergies before surgery. If mine had, I would not have had to go through this horrendous experience. I found out last month that he did question my friend and insisted she be tested prior to surgery. Have you ever talked to an attorney? Also have you read, Steel Standing? Great book about a woman that suffered 3 ½ years before he daughter figured out she was probably allergic to the metal.
 
I had the test done...cost me $573 but got a check from Medicare for $570. Shocked they covered all but $3.00
 
I am so sorry you have been through such a horrendous ordeal! I have a nickel allergy and never even thought to ask my surgeon about it and he didn't mention it either. Fortunately, I got a Smith and Nephew knee on the first go round.

I'm happy to hear you are recovering!

TKR Sept 29, 2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom