Guest viewing is limited

THR Second THR only 8 weeks from first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of new hippies try and wear old shoes and start feeling all sorts of back and legs pains. Go shopping! I experienced the same with my first THR and the pain all subsided once I was wearing new shoes.
 
Thanks @ Jaycey ... seems funny that it's blisters holding me back! I'm so enjoying my new found freedom with walking - joy! However today I'll have to stay put and let the blisters heal :-) Thirty one degrees predicted, so not a bad idea to keep in the shade anyway.
 
Just an update. The 8 week gap didn't happen today due to the admin requirement previously mentioned - so my second hip will be sometime next year! This is all fine (though I was open to the 8 week gap). It's nice to have the hospital stuff behind me, to be perfectly honest without another 6 weeks of recovery/no driving/no freedom looming! Now I'm walking again I don't want to stop! My old left hip will just have to behave itself until I get called in :) And my body will have PLENTY of time to recover, heal and strengthen - which had worried me a bit. Bonus: maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be different staff there by that time too ... the last lot were not very patient-oriented to say the least :-/
 
I'm sorry you're delayed but not always a bad thing if it gives your new new hip a chance to fully recover. On a personal note just take care of the Hip In Waiting. If it starts to act up then baby it, don't lift, push, move, shift or carry anything heavy and use walking aids and ice if you experience increased pain. As a double hippie this is my personal advice. Hope you get a date soon. It does help us focus doesn't it.
 
Regarding my old hip ... if it starts to act up
baby it, don't lift, push, move, shift or carry anything heavy and use walking aids and ice if you experience increased pain.

Thank you, thank you @Miss Muffet, your advice is so appreciated and came at exactly the right time. I am very much struggling with the Hip in Waiting (sounds nicer than 'old hip') - it is really not happy. I was doing so well, driving, walking some nice distances, increased activity. Life felt amazing! But I took it too far, a classic case of overdoing it at 8 weeks. With the thrill of the new hip you kind of forget to be cautious with the old.

The problem was the build up of neglect in garden (and house!) ... it's all too difficult to manage with OA (I live alone). Last week I moved (shoved) some pots, raked leaves (seems like a year's worth and probably was). That seemed fine, but all the continual bending to pick up the piles of leaves did some horrible damage! I could tell at the time, but yes, I forged on like a fool. My new hip bore up SO bravely, but the old hip said 'Nah! Take this for mistreating me!'

I've had to rest up all week, take meds (even my pre-op opiate) and stare balefully at the neglect, when I'm itching to clean up and get on top of things. Patience, patience.

Also, I stopped doing PT as I felt the walking was sufficient (thank you Bonesmart for educating me) plus the PT I was given was ridiculous - 75 reps twice a day?!! Of things like the bridge, and then the bridge with one leg raised and extended. I later found out that bridge is not advised for anterior! But I revived a few of the more sensible exercises lately, as blisters had stopped me from walking. But I find the PT really takes it toll on the old hip. I now realise to just exercise the new hip a little while lying down or seated and leave the old one well alone.

I was originally scheduled for surgery as bi-lateral, but I had to have blood transfusions during surgery due to blood loss, and this is why my OS didn't proceed with the two. If things had gone according to plan, I wouldn't be struggling along now :-( Looking forward to hip number 2! The OS never really explained satisfactorily why I had the blood loss, any idea yourself @Miss Muffet?

Thanks again for being in touch xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a brief respite period between hipOps. Hip #1 was recovering well before Hip#2 kicked up a fuss. I couldn't even have contemplated all that PT and glad to hear you've dropped it. Your gardening experience speaks for itself really. Too easy to do too much, but then we've all made that mistake to our cost, and the price is pain and takes days to settle. I didn't need transfusions for either of my Ops and am not a medic so honestly cannot advise why you would have needed them. You could try tagging Josephine. Just take it easy. It's a question of priorities now and OA takes no prisoners.
 
Thank you for your input and also making me feel cared for @Miss Muffet. Hope you are doing really well yourself, pain-free and enjoying your 3.5 week old new hip. Must check out your threads :-) We all appreciate your advice so much here.

I will follow your guidance to take it easy. I'll do as you suggest and tag Josephine about the blood loss.
xx
 
Hi @Josephine thank you for all the wonderful advice you give us, founded on a lifetime of experience. We are lucky to have you.

Sorry to trouble you, I know you're so busy! But the lovely @Miss Muffet suggested I tag you to have a look at my questions.

1. I was originally scheduled for surgery as bi-lateral, but I had to have blood transfusions (2 units) during surgery due to blood loss. This is why my OS (in consultation with the anaesthetist, who said my BP was up and down) didn't proceed with the second hip. The OS never really explained satisfactorily why I had the blood loss, in fact he downplayed it. What are your thoughts on why I would have experienced this? From my own limited research it's not common (just to put others' minds at rest) but haven't found reasons why it happens. As far as I know nothing is actually cut inside, so would it be simply from the incision?

2. The swelling post-op was quite extreme (thigh was twice the size of the other one) and my GP told me it was probably due to the blood loss (seepage into the tissues?) Does this sound right? I still have some swelling to the left of the scar (right hip)

I do tend to have 'runny' blood. I had a mole removed from my forehead years ago and the doctor had trouble stemming the flow, and asked if I was on blood-thinners. I've never been on blood thinners (except after THR).

Thank you Josephine!
 
Sorry to trouble you, I know you're so busy!
Nice of you but I am never too busy for my members! Never ever!
I was originally scheduled for surgery as bi-lateral, but I had to have blood transfusions (2 units) during surgery due to blood loss. The OS never really explained satisfactorily why I had the blood loss, in fact he downplayed it. What are your thoughts on why I would have experienced this?
I do tend to have 'runny' blood.
Well the tendency for thin blood is obviously a problem and could be the answer. But there are other things that could have accounted for the excessive bleed - these could include aberrant blood vessels (blood vessels that are in an abnormal place), the tendency for the muscles and etc to bleed and ooze and the operation taking longer than expected, most likely due to the excessive blood loss which can make the surgery extremely difficult. This coupled with the drop in blood pressure would make proceeding with the second hip very ill-advised so you should be grateful he stopped when he did.
The swelling post-op was quite extreme (thigh was twice the size of the other one) and my GP told me it was probably due to the blood loss (seepage into the tissues?) Does this sound right?
That would also be a correct assumption. And you might well have had excessive bleeding as well.

Patients with these unusual issues do come up from time to time. It's something that generally is always prepared for though so you could never say we were taken unawares. But in future you might want to forewarn any prospective surgeon or dentist of this before they treat you!
 
Thank you so much for your insight @Josephine :-) Yep, I understood that my OS had good cause to stop at one hip, I was philosophical about it. He had prepared me for that possibility, saying bilateral surgeries don't always go to plan. And he asked which hip I'd like done first, in that eventuality. So my first question before I opened my eyes was "One hip or two?" and I heard a distant voice say "One." Opened my eyes and saw the bag of blood above. So with 'thin blood', I can probably expect the same for the next surgery ...

Just wanted to reassure others that might read this that I felt no ill-effects from the blood loss, I didn't experience any light-headedness and felt fine the first time I stood up on my new hip or moved anywhere. My BP was very low right through my hospital stay, no-one seemed too bothered!

When I got home I experienced uncontrollable shivering/shaking upon waking for the first few days and had to pile on the winter woollies to stop it (my nephew who stayed the first three nights was meanwhile in singlet and shorts, it being a sub-tropical climate and a glorious 'spring'). I assumed this was just all part of the effects following a big surgery and took it in my stride. My whole thermostat was a little out for quite a while - got cold easily (another thin blood effect?!) and sweated at night.
 
Having a bit of a low phase.

Quick recap: scheduled for bilateral surgery 11 weeks ago, blood loss meant I needed transfusions, surgery stopped at one implant :-(

NB: Thread title a bit misleading now as it was originally proposed by OS at 6 week check that I might get second surgery at 8 weeks. This wasn't possible as I have to wait in the public system list again to get the second surgery. Thought they would squeeze me in as soon as they could, but appears the system doesn't work like that :-( Application for surgery had to go through from scratch again.

So I have one new hip nearly 11 weeks old which feels lovely (or felt lovely, see below) and one disintegrating old hip, which is compromising everything I do and literally feels like it's deteriorating daily. All the wonderful progressions I had made with regular walks have halted, because the new activity just stirs up the old hip. Initially all the meds, all the rest, all the care, all the precautions I took for my new hip - well, the old hip just loved that long, long break. But once I got back to being active, I had a week or so of halcyon days, before my old hip had enough.

My main reason for posting is that yesterday I did something really silly and am wondering if I have done any damage to my new hip. I would really appreciate your thoughts @Josephine re the following.

I got up onto a on a sturdy box (covered in fabric that people sit on) about 1ft 5 inches high (420mm) and didn't know how to get down again. Someone came to help, which made it worse as I felt under pressure to get down asap (this was in a public situation, I was taking a photograph of a group for someone and got up on the box for a better shot). I knew if I stepped down on my old bad hip the jolt would kill me! I didn't know what to do. So I dithered then jumped off/dropped all my weight onto my new hip first - what a fool. It was the equivalent of jumping off several steps onto one leg (my new hip leg) which bore all my weight, before putting down my other leg (with old painful hip).

All day I've been thinking of alternative ways I could have got off the box, kneeling on it, then getting down etc. I have definitely felt the repercussions today. From having a new hip that has given me no pain all this time, that I have cared for and cossetted like a new born, I am now experiencing pain and really, really upset with myself.

At this point, is everything pretty secure in there? I feel the femur is not happy at all. I would really appreciate some feedback/reassurance. I will not be doing anything so stupid again and can't believe I put myself in that position in the first place.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Noooo! Just found out that not only am I back on the bottom of the public list again but also .... even though I was scheduled as bi-lateral surgery for Sept 27 (surgery unfortunately couldn't continue due to blood loss/transfusions, resulting in one implant only), to my absolute devastation I am not guaranteed (as a public patient) to get the same amazing surgeon who did my first hip, who specialises in the anterior approach. This is a disaster! I had such a great recovery, and wouldn't want to have any other approach after having experienced anterior on the first hip. But because I'm 'public' it's the luck of the draw. If only I could have had the bilateral done in the one surgery as planned! If only, if only - hopeless words I know. There is no consideration given to my predicament (that surgery was stopped due to no fault of my own, it wasn't like I opted out or cancelled) or a humane response from the bureaucratic system. This is all so upsetting and I'm really in a state. Just had to share!! Sorry it's negative.
 
So sorry, @Sunny girl! That is truly disappointing and upsetting, and it seems so wrong! Don't feel bad about sharing negative information. We all do, and many can learn from us, whether we report good or bad news.
 
Thank you so much @Krista for your kind response, really appreciate it. Hope your recovery is going well? Such a long history of issues, you are a trooper.
 
Thanks for your message @Tweetybrd, you are so kind to look in. I know you are busy all over BS welcoming and supporting everyone :) The bad jolt to my new hip that I got on Saturday night is worrying me too (info above, all my own fault. Basically I jumped down onto one leg from a height, bearing all my weight on the one leg, the leg with my new hip). Ended up seeing GP and going for xrays yesterday, hope to get the results late today or tomorrow. I'm experiencing deep penetrating pain down thigh, a lot of swelling and my incision has bruised up. (I never even bruised here after surgery.) I guess the impact has affected everything. The ridiculous thing is, I was trying to avoid jumping onto my remaining bad hip, as it would have been excruciating. Silly, silly, silly.
 
@Sunny girl Oh no! I had to go back up and read that part. Totally missed that. It made me cringe...:groan:
Sounds like something I would do. I hope your xrays show everything is fine and the pain is just a bit of bruising inside.:fingersx:
I feel like I'm slacking on here the last few weeks as I have not kept up as well as I was with everyone's recoveries. Just trying to stay distracted with Christmas stuff as my surgery time gets closer and my pain ramps up. Cant wait until I am in my own recovery. Stories like yours remind me that I will have to be cautious for months to come afterwords. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad. :)
 
We need to continue being mindful, and not to make rash and rushed decisions for sure! I know it sounds silly but I felt on public show up there on the box, especially with someone holding onto me as I took the photo. I felt like the main attraction! I didn't want to appear to make a fuss getting down with everyone's eyes on me and felt pressured or something. Hence my wrong decision. We are strange beings, or well I am.

This endless waiting will be so worth it @Tweetybrd. Hope you can stay as comfortable as possible leading up to the 20th January.
 
@Sunny girl I am sorry about the mishap with the new hip. I bet it will not pose a problem since it was securely in place. Probably just have sore muscles as a result for a while.

So very sorry you are having to wait again for your next hip! I pray that you indeed have the same wonderful surgeon that did your first hip anteriorly. Anyway at all you can secure the OS? I am not exactly understanding the system with the public list. How does that work? I know you are so disappointed but things happen for a reason so maybe this will give your body a chance to heal before going through another ordeal so soon!

We will still be here cheering you on for your next surgery whenever it occurs! You have supported and encouraged so many others! You deserve another new hip soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom