THR Second THR complete!

10 weeks - incision still itchy! Not a complaint, just an observation :)

Realized the other day that I ran up the stairs from the garage without thinking about it. Just sort of did it because I forgot something on my desk and was in a bit of a hurry.

It's the little things...

I'm so glad you are doing well.
It is the little things...guess lefty is still doing well, as well?

I'm afraid the "little thing" I hadn't mastered at two months was that little thing called sleeping all night!
It was almost four months before I could do that but I suppose my circadian rhythm was truly flat lined between pre-op and post-op.
Hope you are sleeping well.
Have a good weekend, dlp.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Blue sky, sunshine...what a day to take a walk in the park.
Remember that song? Maybe you're too young...but that will be the ear worm for the day, lol.
Sounds like your doing great. Itchy incision and all.
It IS the little things, you're right!
Enjoy the weekend!
@dlp

Last edited:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope you're doing well and having a great week.
Leave us an update when you have time. Would love to hear how it's going at 3 mo post op.
Take Care
@dlp

Hi @Layla - Doing really well.

I'd say that I'm probably about 90% back to normal. Psoas still acting up at times, but gradually easing. Working with my physical therapist to loosen it up. Also working to finish fixing up all those other muscles that were thrown out of whack by my bad hips!

On the topic of antibiotics for dental work, I'm going to have my teeth whitened again. It's been 8 years, time for a touch up! I asked my surgeon's PA if she thought I should also take them for that procedure. Answer was basically better safe than sorry even though I don't remember if there were any sharp objects involved. Seems they prefer to err on the side of caution. Fine by me since the antibiotics don't affect me negatively.

I'm still basically just taking my time and not pushing things too hard - even PT is mild massage and light exercises. Feeling good and glad to be getting back to life.

Great update! You're doing well. Happy to hear it...thanks for sharing!
So many different thoughts on the dental biz. I feel like we're kind of left to our own on that one.
I hope you have a great weekend!
@dlp

Realized the other day that I ran up the stairs from the garage without thinking about it. Just sort of did it because I forgot something on my desk and was in a bit of a hurry.

It's the little things...

Yeah but that’s kind of a big thing! Congrats!

On the topic of antibiotics for dental work, I'm going to have my teeth whitened again. It's been 8 years, time for a touch up! I asked my surgeon's PA if she thought I should also take them for that procedure. Answer was basically better safe than sorry even though I don't remember if there were any sharp objects involved. Seems they prefer to err on the side of caution. Fine by me since the antibiotics don't affect me negatively...

There was a recent thread on here somewhere, and very relevant posts on this subject, including one by Josephine. It appears that there has not been one single documented case of.... etc, etc (won't try to paraphrase with my scrambled brains). My Orthopod said no need for antibiotics before dental work, but my dentist is happy to provide them. My physician stepson had THR and takes antibiotics to be on the "safe side"... yet there is no solid evidence to do so? Other medical people in extended family are divided. If the docs don't know, how are we supposed to figure it out?

I'd say that I'm probably about 90% back to normal. ...

I'm still basically just taking my time and not pushing things too hard - even PT is mild massage and light exercises. Feeling good and glad to be getting back to life.

@dlp , we are virtually hippy twins, and our healing trajectory is also twinned. I could just copy and paste your updates. :)

re: antibiotics and dental work

Maybe I should add that Hubs (also a doc) once got endocarditis after dental work, and that was with taking the antibiotics. He had a leaky mitral valve, since repaired. He averted certain death with a pic line and other interventions, and I had the dubious pleasure of playing nurse for over a month, monitoring pumps, and switching over tube lines, and regulating the drip line droplet rate, or whatever that's called. I never did get the terminology down. So I do know how sideways a dental appointment can go.

I'm stealing the @lovesstars emoji for that post of yours above @An54
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

That's scary!

re: antibiotics and dental work

Maybe I should add that Hubs (also a doc) once got endocarditis after dental work, and that was with taking the antibiotics. He had a leaky mitral valve, since repaired. He averted certain death with a pic line and other interventions, and I had the dubious pleasure of playing nurse for over a month, monitoring pumps, and switching over tube lines, and regulating the drip line droplet rate, or whatever that's called. I never did get the terminology down. So I do know how sideways a dental appointment can go.

Yoiks - sounds like a real ordeal. I figure 2 - 3 times a year for a few years is no big deal, in the grand scheme of things. I'm lucky to be tolerant of most medications, except for Allegra allergy meds and Atovaquone, an anti-malaria drug.

Glad your recovery is going well. I read some of the threads and feel for the folks having a harder time, so I also try not to brag about how good I feel very often. It's a big surgery and everyone heals differently. I imagine that it's hard to constantly read about how well someone is doing when you aren't recovering in a similar fashion.

But I do try to pop in to let people know that there are good outcomes as well as bad, and for those who may be on the fence, they get a look at both possible outcomes.

I see you have another one in your future - hope that one goes as well for you!

Glad your recovery is going well. I read some of the threads and feel for the folks having a harder time, so I also try not to brag about how good I feel very often. It's a big surgery and everyone heals differently. I imagine that it's hard to constantly read about how well someone is doing when you aren't recovering in a similar fashion.

But I do try to pop in to let people know that there are good outcomes as well as bad, and for those who may be on the fence, they get a look at both possible outcomes.

I had the same thoughts. Why would I keep posting updates about how smoothly everything is going? But then I decided that it was best to do so for all those people reading through these threads. Those who are looking for information should know that all THRs aren't problematical. At any given time the lurkers here outnumber the BS members by 4 or 5 times. The read-out on the home page also says how many robots are online, very amusing. It's quiet now (almost 10pm, PST)
Online now: "Total: 183 (members: 20, guests: 98, robots: 65) "

Just passed 15 weeks this week. Definitely a quicker recovery this time compared to hip #1 - and that one went quite well. Things are humming right along. I've been going for longer periods of time without my body reminding me that I had surgery. Psoas is even getting less bothersome by the week!
PT going well - getting back to core strengthening, working on balance, and a little massage on some of the muscles that are still a bit out of sorts every now and again.

Tonight I attended a Halloween night concert by one of my favorite bands, "The Damned". I attend a lot of shows, and the majority tend to be in small to medium sized venues without - or with minimal - seating. For as long as I can remember, my quads and other leg muscles would be screaming at me from all of the standing. My quads and calves would get super tight.

Well, I was thrilled to discover that standing after many hours at tonight's show I no longer found myself having that tightness and pain I used to have. It may be a fluke, but I do have to say that I'm feeling pretty great. I'm hopeful that it's a sign of a permanent change.

Amazing how the body works, and how connected it all is.

Here's the band tearing it up on Halloween. The lead singer is doing his best Nosferatu :)

IMG_8045.JPG

So nice to hear how well you are doing!
It is so nice to live life without hip pain.
I'm so grateful.
The party and the band looks like so much fun.:happydance:
I unloaded a few hundred lbs of deer meat into Food Bank courtesy of the Hunters for the Hungry program...so I didn't do anything but eat and veg out for the rest of the evening.
Did you go in costume?
Glad to hear a great recovery update. Have a good day, @dlp :SUNsmile:

Reactions: dlp
Awesome. I bought tickets for a show the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It’s great to get out and enjoy life. Congrats on a Halloween well spent.

Good for you! It's wonderful to be out doing the things you love without suffering pain.
Happy to read you had fun.
Enjoy the day!
@dlp

Well @dlp this inspired me to check out The Damned. I was listening to ‘The Damned Essentials’ playlist on Apple Music today as I went for a drive. Good stuff. I have heard ‘Smash it Up’ before, but until now didn’t know the artist. I added it one of my Gym playlists.

Was definitely a good night, and I had a great time. :)

@MrDIY who are you going to see? As for The Damned, they are one of the original punk bands - still going strong. A very eclectic range of sounds over the years, so its a really nice variety of music to put on a playlist. (The Black Album is my favorite).

@dlp I think you used to live in Ypsilanti area, right? Last Friday my husband and I saw the Verve Pipe at the Ark in Ann Arbor (very small intimate venue). Excellent show. My 19 yo daughter was curious, but didn't recognize any of their work, even "Freshmen." I hadn't been to a concert like that in forever, but for $25 it was priceless.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back