THR Second hip recovery

Chrismcd

Country
Canada Canada
I had pretty good luck with the first hip - never felt pain at all. This hip was a different experience altogether. Due to Covid 19, a general anaesthetic was not preferred by the hospital (aspiration), and we had to go with a block combined with sedative. Waking from surgery seemed fine except as soon as the block started to wear off, the pain was quite extreme. I suspect the brain was telling me, "didn't you learn the first time? Danger!". Anyway, lots of hydro-morphine for the next 2 days to chase the pain, and then of course the nausea along with that. Suffice to say, the pain was under control in about 2 days and then home from the hospital. Another 2 days at home regulating the right dose, down to 1 mg every 4 hours. The physio was harder because of the pain, and in general, my attitude was not very good. I just didn't want to be going through this at all! But everything calmed down and I know the light is at the end of this tunnel.

On the bright side, there is minimal swelling this time. Amazing really. The incision is neat and smaller, and will definitely leave a nicer scar. Everything is healing up well. At 19 days post op, I am no longer on any pain meds except tylenol.

Mobility is pretty good too. I can get around the house with a cane - no pain. The first day with the cane was rough actually, the balance and effort. But by the end of the day, it seemed I almost didn't need the cane at all. As long as there is no pain, I carry on progressing. I try to walk 20 minutes twice a day with one crutch outside, but some days, I am just too pooped. I do what I can, listening to my body, learning from all of you good folks. Recognizing some days are squiggle days, no straight line for recovery, I try to rest.

Notably is the extreme fatigue, nausea and feeling unwell. I sleep on my back and, I suspect, snore like a banshee disturbing any deep sleep coming my way. Tonight I will try sleeping sitting up a bit more. Ah the prospect of rolling over is a delicious dream!

Anyway, wishing you all well! It seems like this this hip replacement is a huge success but surgery still sucks.

Hi there
Yesterday I posted in the wrong place about the second surgery- now I can’t find it.

instead of a general this time, due to Covid and aspirations, we went with a block and sedative. The pain coming out of the block was intense and it took 2 days to chase the pain, followed by low BP nausea and vomiting.I went home after 2 nights and still worked on getting the dosage right for another 2 days. The incision is fantastic, neat and tidy with practically no swelling. The first scar is quite a Frankenstein but this one will disappear.
The first week was rest and hobble to bathroom etc. Second week on Crutches and started to go out for wee walks. Then I was hit was extreme exhaustion. So no walking for 3 days.
Today is 3 weeks. Off all meds now except Tylenol and Advil. No pain.
Now only on the cane inside. Good range of motion, okay strength and working on balance. Today I went for a 20 minute walk with cane and came back for an hour nap.

I reviewed the bones mart body diagrams with energy drain and I am definitely experiencing max drain. Feeling nauseated and kind of hungry but only for small meals. Exhausted. Can’t read - bored with Netflix but have no energy for even light hearted sarcasm.

Tring to drink lots of fluids. Keeping up with new patients on bone smart helps, as the little experience I have might be useful to others. That makes me feel better!
Covid has us all socially isolated and actually I don’t feel up to company anyway. I recognize a mild case of the blues so am trying to watch comedies to make me laugh.

So at week 3 I would say it is a huge success so far and am I ever glad I only have two hips!

You are doing great and yes the blues hit no matter how well we are doing as well as the energy drain. It is a good time to rest and pamper the hip and body a bit. On one level with Covid this makes it easier but more lonesome if you are a people person.

Hello @Chrismcd - and :welome: to recovery again.

I found your post from yesterday - in the Knee Surgery Recovery Area - and I've moved today's post into the thread you started.

This may help you in the future:
How can I find my threads and posts?

You are allowed to have one thread for each THR, but you'll probably find it easier if you post about both hips in this thread from now on. Is that OK with you?

It sounds as if you're doing well. Here are the recovery guidelines again, to refresh your memory:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Notably is the extreme fatigue

Understandable, since you’ve experienced two major surgeries within seven months. Sleep when you’re able...Best healing happens then.

It seems you’re doing really well. Keep up the good work and have a lovely weekend! :)

I was feeling so good at 17 days, I walked 30 minutes with a cane, did the laundry, made lunch and dinner and a strawberry crumble - normal day. I didn’t sit down. Did some extra exercises given by the physio. Next day, I walked again and then had a nap. Then I couldn’t move. No weight on the new hip. No standing or walking. Okay so rest is needed. Today I am back on 2 crutches, resting and only hobbling from one chair to another every hour. Very very contrite. Hoping desperately that the rest is all I need to get back on track along with my promises to be a better patient.

Hello @Chrismcd
Recovery has its ups and downs. Many of us go into surgery with a sleep deficit due to the pain and discomfort we were dealing with. It can be exhausting. Post Op Blues is common after surgery and can also contribute to fatigue. Two major surgeries within seven months is a stressor on the body.

Stay hydrated, try to eat a well balanced diet and sleep when you’re able. You‘re only 26 days post op which is still early days in the whole scheme of things. Hang in there..it will get better.
Wishing you a peaceful evening.

Second hip recovery

Hi @Chrismcd :wave:
Sorry anyone has to deal with Anything + Virus...lately, news in general can put you in a funk. Comedy and cooking competition shows were my go to, and I don't cook.:) :-) (: Mindless entertainment.

But you are all done, double hippy! :egypdance:
My suggestion is to not forget our friend Ice. :ice:
Even if you are not seeing alot of outward swelling...icing really helped counteract the complaints from getting back to activity.
Hope today is a Good Day!

Happy One Month Anniversary, Chris!
I hope you‘ve had a good week as we cruise into the weekend.
May it be a good one for you! :SUNsmile:
@Chrismcd

Hi there, all is well here. Took a week off to heal two strained muscles but I seem to be okay now. Walking 20 minutes at a time, and only taking Tylenol and Advil. A bit stiff in the mornings but I think that is from the walking, and muscles. Tomorrow is 5 weeks.....:)

Sounds like you are back on track.. it's a very fine line between doing and overdoing. the one thing good about visiting the ODIC is the extra caution you'll use for a while, which hopefully keeps you from another visit.
Almost 5 weeks!
The stiffness seems to linger for quite some time. I noticed it even as I neared the 6 month mark. It only took a few minutes to loosen up but it was definitely there and needed some patience..
I used ice packs up into my third month of healing, if not longer. It always seemed to help.

Last edited:
That is good to know CricketHip! I will remember that for the 6 months. I have held back on the exercises and am now able to walk with a cane for 45 minutes in the neighborhood. Although I am pooped when I get back, but it is encouraging to be able to walk that far without discomfort. The balance is coming along, but I do need the cane.

Does anyone have any experience with low iron and low RBC count after surgery?

Assuming you’re in contact with your PCP...
How about some Red Meat? A juicy steak :happydance:
Or some other Iron rich foods -
Chicken
Fish
Broccoli
Dark Green Vegetables
Legumes
Dried Apricots
Almonds
Egg Yolks

Hope things are back to normal soon. :)
@Chrismcd

Low blood counts can make you feel really tired, sorry you are having a bit of this! Which makes your comment about walking doesn't hurt but is so tiring.

Did your Doctor have any suggestions? Like a possible Iron supplement? I was low and while I was still in the hospital, I was given some sort of supplement through my I.V. to help boost my blood volume.. the nurse told me the name, but I didn't retain it. :shrug:

I like the list that Layla left for you, hopefully some of those foods appeal to you and can help.

All good suggestions, thank you Layla and CricketHip. My GP wasn’t very concerned even though the lab flagged and labeled iron deficiency and low RBC. But, I was (not now) taking calcium because I thought that would help with bone growth. Turns out calcium interferes with iron absorption, so I have stopped the calcium and dairy for now. Also I have increased vitamin c. We eat so well, very similar to Layla’s diet guidance. A steak is a good idea. My thought was that low RBC count might be from the shaft of titanium in my right femur, displacing some marrow...and that makes it temporary perhaps while my system figures it out.

Anyway, thank you, it feels a bit better knowing others have gone through the same thing.

Anyway, thank you, it feels a bit better knowing others have gone through the same thing.

It does help to know you are in the same boat with the others, right? It's good to know your Doctor wasn't too concerned, too. Just another side effect of a recent THR!
Enjoy that steak...:thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics