Guest viewing is limited

THR Sciatic nerve pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the best early-recovery reports I've read. You're being sensible, careful, diligent, and are doing all the right things. You've got this!! So keep it up for another four weeks or so!! So proud!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@KcSweet1975
God bless your sweet heart! I'm so inspired by your early progress report! I'm happy your little muffins are helping mommy...I think it helps them when they can help you. :thumb:
 
@beachgal@cynthia777
Thank you:)
I'm very happy how things are moving along! Don't get me wrong I do have my moments where I will cry but that's only in the morning when I'm crabby from being stiff and need to get the blood moving and loosen the joint. Once I get up and get going the day gets better.
I have been able to do light housework and I cooked dinner last night. I cannot stand for a long period of time but its getting there.
I have learned patience for sure, especially with a 5 and 8 year old. I have to remind myself all the time to take my time because I'm so anal with cleanliness that it will stay there till someone gets to it.
My daughter the 8 year old has been such a big helper and they understand the boundaries and be careful around mom.
My dogs on the other hand are always around me so I have one eye on them and the other in front to pay attention to where I'm going:) lol!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@KcSweet1975
You sound like you are doing very well! I love reading the post op threads. thank you for posting and giving those of us that are still waiting..waiting..waiting.. hope!
 
Hello! I am 10 weeks post op TRHR and all has gone well. I have have been doing physical therapy 2-3 times a week and it's pretty aggressive to say the least. They have done a great job but when I went today for my follow up with the ortho I had expressed some impinged sciatic nerve pain I have been feeling and now he is sending me to another physician to have that assessed and treated. He's not sure if it's from surgery or over doing it at physical therapy. For instance, they have me doing 75 pound single leg presses, I am doing step ups with 5 pound weights, 10 min on the bike and also small hurdles with 5 pounds on my ankle. While I'm equipped to doing these kinds of exercises because prior to surgery I was weight lifting so while I'm doing these different exercises I'm fine, it's days after I'm feeling the soreness to the point it's hard to sleep. I have this week to finish up PT but my question is has anyone had an impinged sciatic nerve post surgery and how was it treated?
Other than that driving has been good as long as I stay close to home because the back and forth from gas to brake on long drives aggravates the muscle. I am active and back to pretty much normal activities for the most part. Oh, also sitting for long periods are challenging because I get sore quickly. It doesn't help that I do need to get my left hip replaced here soon so that plays a big part in the soreness. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. I picked up your latest thread title, which you'll see as your recovery thread title now. If you decide you'd like a different one at any point to highlight a particular problem, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

As for your concerns.....Oh my.....I would bet anything that your pain is directly related to that aggressive therapy! Your hip is still healing and it needs to do that before you start stressing the injured bone and soft tissue like you've been doing. Please, please scale it back. Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you should right now. You're way too early in your recovery. Go back and check out those recovery articles that were posted for you early in this thread.

Nothing happens if you stop therapy now except you'll get a head start on healing your hip again. The more you push like that, the more risk you have of getting chronic pain, which as the name implies is very difficult to treat. So I recommend that you stop the therapy and instead substitute walking instead. Even with that, take a couple of weeks where you really aren't walking all that much - work up to maybe 20 minutes twice a day on a flat surface. You can always increase the time and all you really want to do is keep the joint mobile for now. Then after two weeks, you can gradually add more time as your pain level dictates. But don't increase activity if you're still hurting. These things can take time to work themselves out when you've been overdoing the activity and exercise.

I'm going to tag @Josephine to comment, but I'm pretty sure she's going to have the same feeling about what all you've been trying to do with your new hip.
 
@jaime
Thank you for tying the threads together. My bad for not thinking of doing that prior to adding my updated recovery.
Also, I do agree that I should stop therapy and just walk and see how the pain is. I just think therapist mean well but when they see me actually being able to do all they want me to do the thing that comes to their head is to push. Well I think I've been pushed a little to far. I do have to say I do enjoy the bike and it really helps with the range of motion and is not hard on the joint rather it wake it up and helps with the stiffness that's going on in there. I have a bike here at the house I can add later when the pain and soreness subsides.
Thank you again:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
they have me doing 75 pound single leg presses, I am doing step ups with 5 pound weights, 10 min on the bike and also small hurdles with 5 pounds on my ankle. While I'm equipped to doing these kinds of exercises because prior to surgery I was weight lifting
All of that is just plain ridiculous. Hips actually don't need much - if any - exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. And the fact that you were doing this prior to your surgery is far from all right! You hip wasn't, it was just out of major surgery and therefore, at 10 weeks, still requiring a lot of TLC!
some impinged sciatic nerve pain
Step ups and hurdles with weights are almost designed to cause muscle spasm and/or tendinitis and I would bet my frilly nurse's cap that the 'impingement' you have is Piriformis syndrome. Have a look at the article and tell me if I'm wrong!

Best treatment I know of for this is chiropractic treatment.
 
@Josephine
You are absolutely right! I read the article and it's exactly what I've been experiencing. I am done with therapy and going to take it nice and messy and let nature take its course here in out. My ortho said he loves therapists but they can also get a little aggressive if they see you can do the exercise and then they want to do more and more challenging.
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom