TKR Sciatic nerve (???) pain in the butt and outer thigh???

I haven't done squats in years. I always have had to bend from my waist.
 
I am always in awe when I see some squatting all the way to the floor :thud:
 
I can semi-squat to do daily activities, but not as exercise.
 
Hello BoneSmart Friends,

I am sending a group thank you and update. I'm not too familiar with the forum format despite being on the internet for 20 years, LOL. So let's hope this works well. (Celle, thank you for combining my stuff into one thread. I had no idea how that worked!!)

Everyone's comments are very much appreciated! I DID use the tip on utilizing ice for my butt pain and that has a very good effect. I received another tip on the phone today about getting a "knot" out -- using an electric massager. I have a small massager and in order to get it in the right position I have to sit on it, but I MUST try that again!

Another thing I have tried is some vodka. I haven't felt like sitting around and drinking, LOL, so I've just poured myself vodka over ice and added lime juice. That way the doses are quicker. (I'm not taking too much in the way of pain killers and am very careful about mixing the two.) I believe the alcohol relaxes that butt muscle.

I have to RANT and say that it's PATHETIC that in this day and age when you have surgery that you have to go to these great lengths to deal with the pain!!!! Oh well, enough of that.

I was not only impressed but first was astonished that people talked about squats -- SQUATS!!! Are you kidding me!!!! I'm 68 and about 100 lb overweight so SQUATS are not in my dictionary, well or after surgery. ha ha ha ha ha But more power to you if you can do them!!

My sleep has changed which is normal after this surgery so I do not get enough sleep, mainly due to pain. But last night I had a really good sleep and thus I feel pretty decent today. Tomorrow is my 4 weeks post-op!

Thanks again, Dear Friends!!

DevilMama
 
I had that sciatica pain two nights ago...and it comes and goes in waves a bit these last 2 days.
A good friend suggested acupressure. To find the points along my backside where if pressed, unlike fibromyalgia, which I also have, make one go "yes...press deeper" I found two and I press with my knuckles for about 5 to 10 seconds and it's an immediate relief...until the next wave.
I think it's because I'm prone most of the day...or I made strange moves getting in and out of bed/ car/ on off loo.
Of course Vodka, if it goes w your meds, is good too.( higck)
Thanks for the idea!
 
Hi All,

At 4 wks 4 days post-op RTKR I have gone from Percocet 5/325 to Tramadol 50 (3 x a day). I began it this morning, waited two hours for it to kick in, and no luck. I am also on 4 ibuprofen (800 mg) 3 x a day. I took a dose tonight and am still waiting barely within the two-hour window.

What are your experiences and thoughts? It's always taken me "more than the average bear" as far as medicines go. I also welcome your advice as to what to do next. Difficult to sleep when in pain, and waking up in pain sucks too.
 
Tramadol is a step down medication, meaning it isn't very strong, its for moderate pain. At 4 weeks you MAY not think you still need the Percocet, but if you are still in pain, take the Percocet. You will know when it's time to start backing off of it. Increase the hours between the doses. Then maybe you could try Norco instead. It's not as strong as Percocet, but stronger than tramadol.

I'm like you, I need more than the average bear. I'm 8 months after me second knee and I still occasionally take something for my pain when I need it.

Don't forget that ice is a great pain reliever as well.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
I have the drop solution. I am "permitted" to take up to 20 drops 3 x a day. I don't need that much. Thus far, last 5 nights it has been 12 drops and it ' kicked in' 10 minutes later, and I could sleep again. Am pleased it works so well for me.
Heard from others here (who might reply to you) that they didn't like it.
 
You are under medicated with a very low dose of Tramadol and need to take a more appropriate dose.
@Celle will be along with a chart how to effectively take tramadol with tylenol.
 
@DevilMama you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
Here's the chart:
The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
[Bonesmart.org] Sciatic nerve (???) pain in the butt and outer thigh???
 
At 4 wks 4 days post-op RTKR I have gone from Percocet 5/325 to Tramadol 50 (3 x a day). I began it this morning, waited two hours for it to kick in, and no luck. I am also on 4 ibuprofen (800 mg) 3 x a day. I took a dose tonight and am still waiting barely within the two-hour window.
You are under medicated with a very low dose of Tramadol and need to take a more appropriate dose.
@Celle will be along with a chart how to effectively take tramadol with tylenol.
I see that sistersinhim has given you the chart.

You can safely take a total of 4,000 mg of Tylenol in 24 hours, but do check to make sure that none of your other medications contain Tylenol. If they do, add that into your calculations, so that you don't go over the 4,000 mg per day limit.

When the time comes, you will need to wean off Tramadol slowly. Otherwise, you could experience withdrawal symptoms.

Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID). It is used primarily for that and it is not a good pain killer. In addition, it can cause severe bleeding from your stomach and also make you susceptible to heart disease and slows down bone repair. Never take it on an empty stomach and stop taking it altogether if you have any gastric symptoms. I suggest you cut it right back and even stop taking it. Take Tylenol instead.
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom