Guest viewing is limited

schpooko's Questions...

@TM1965 Thank you for replying/ I am hoping for a smooth recovery but from all that I have read it's a roller coaster...

SusieShoes, Thanks Susie... I am so glad that I read your recovery first out of all of them because it gave me the courage to go forward. I hope my recovery goes as well as yours did. I know about the ups and downs but this week ahead (before the surgery) is so intimidating. Between being fearful and anxious and nervous the time seems like its going in slow motion. Thanks for the info...
 
Between being fearful and anxious and nervous the time seems like its going in slow motion.

This is a daunting surgery. Just about everyone gets a touch of cold feet as the day approaches, even those of use who want it so much we can't think of doing anything else we want more. There's such a big unknown on the other side. There's also so much hope.

The day before my surgery, a great calm settled over me. I hope that happens for you @schpooko. I hope you go into the pre-op area smiling and thinking "Let's do this." :friends:

And I'm so glad my recovery thread helped you find courage. I didn't know what I would find when I started it; I wrote my experiences day by day. As it turned out, my recovery was good but also quite normal!
 
@SusieShoes cold feet? Lol yup! I asked my surgeon in pre-op if I could reschedule. He said “are you serious”; my answer was “kinda-not-really”!
 
Today I'm 3 weeks until LTKR. Beyond ready! Not even nervous anymore. Just ready to get rid if these knees even though it will be one at a time. Ice, elevate, take meds, pray. Sounds like the book "Eat, Pray, Love" LOL
 
InkedMarie You have been an inspiration also. I have been keeping up on your posts and your recovery is amazing with your hip replacement and knee shortly thereafter. Now you woman are brave... Keep up the good work.


SusieShoes Amen... "The day before my surgery, a great calm settled over me. I hope that happens for you I hope you go into the pre-op area smiling and thinking "Let's do this." :friends:" Thanks....


beachy I going to grasp onto some of that enthusiasm you have and hold on tight... Thanks for the words it means alot...
 
Most important question re driving. Your OS as well as the hospital will give you plenty of instructions including driving. We all have to remember we are impaired by all the drugs we are taking. Safety first. My instructions were 6weeks for my Lft TKR in June. Off all painkillers (oxy & Gabapentin) in 4.5 weeks, I started driving at 5 weeks. Much easier accomplish having an automatic as well as my left knee.
Another added plus; my OS office provides application for temp. disability plaquard for my car. Exprememly helpful.
Wear comfortable clothes that can be worn the next day when you leave the hospital.
I wore a simple cotton dress w low heeled, zip up ankle boots. totally aware may not be able to wear left boot out.
Not only comfortable be convenient.
 
I only became enthusiastic when I felt like I had all my ducks in a row. Went through several rough, non enthusiastic weeks/months trying to grasp the idea that I had to have this surgery. And finding the right OS. Bonesmart really helped me!

Keeping a sense of humor about surgery and life in general is helpful.
You’re a little over a week away! I’m just under 3 weeks away. You will be the torchbearer for the Fiesties!
 
I did both the slipper socks (with the non-slip strips) and tennis shoes in the hospital, depending on how far I was walking. The key thing is non slip--both in the hospital and once you're home.

I lived in shorts and t-shirts once I got home (I was a summer tkr-er). They didn't have me get dressed in the hospital until the day I went home, but I did bring a pretty duster to wear for hall walking once the IV was out.
 
Hi, everyone... my surgery is scheduled for Monday and last night I got an email from my OS on medication he wants me to take after I go home. Now, my pharmacy sometimes has to order opiate meds so I need to get things rolling before I go in (for my husband to get while I am in the hospital) because I am Not going home with just motrin. My question is has anyone heard of the drug Nucynta and how did it work for you after surgery if you are a recovery person. Its fairly new on the market and I need something stronger than Norco which does not work so well for me. Also was it expensive with your insurance? Thanks
 
If you plug the name of this drug into any search engine you will see that it is classified as an opiate. Probably best to ask your surgeon about how you may react to the medication and what you can take along with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom