Guest viewing is limited

THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Hi @Mojo333

Yes, the injection was aimed toward the hip joint. This had been what instigated my first surgery (torn labrum) and it is, indeed painful. What got his attention was when I told him the pain was almost exactly like the pain I had on the other hip, which is why I had the first surgery.

I have done some research regarding torn labrums and it seems that the physical therapy that is prescribed is almost exactly what I am doing while rehabbing my surgical hip. I think I am going to try doing those exercises (gently) on the other side, too. (Ugh. More home exercises, and self-inflicted to boot).:sigh:

I need to do something, as I have not been able to move much in the past year and a half, and with COVID, I have gained 15 pounds and feel weak and frail in general.

Thank you so much for being here!
 
Be careful with exercises for the torn labrum. My original injuries in both hips were torn laburms and FAI. The only PT I would do is basic hip strengthening. I made the mistake of doing aggressive stretching and deep movements, it tore them even worse.

Thanks,
Larry
 
Thanks, @ljpviper ! Yes, that's what I was thinking-- just gentle strengthening, which is what I'm doing for my recovery hip but on both sides. Thanks for the sanity check!

I was prescribed a bunch of physical therapy on my other hip and worked pretty hard at it before I had an MRI and had the torn labrum diagnosed. I don't know why the health care system makes you max out in physical therapy before they will let you have an MRI. It would have saved me a lot of time and pain had I known I had a year before.

Thanks again for the note.
 
I don't know why the health care system makes you max out in physical therapy before they will let you have an MRI. It would have saved me a lot of time and pain had I known I had a year before.
That kind of thing is usually driven by your insurance company @Schaargi, I agree, it's short sighted for both the patient and the insurance company in the long run. Starting with PT is fine, wouldn't want to do anything else if it works, but if it's not seeming to help, a further evaluation would save both sides pain and money.
 
Hi everyone! I would like your advice about the cortisone shot. My surgeon said that if it "works," I don't need to call him, and to call if it doesn't "work." I feel like it diminished my pain about 50% or 60%. As a diagnostic tool, what does that mean? Did it work?

On another note, all exercises are done this week!:running:
 
Hi @Schaargi
I would say if the injection diminished the pain by that amount it probably "worked" as far as diagnosing your labral tear.
I am worrying about your exercises however which I know you are doing your best too be diligent about in order to improve your nerve damage on your replaced hip.

Do you mind sharing what exercises you are doing and how many repetitions and how often?
Wonder if any of these are putting extra stress on your right hip?
 
Thanks @Mojo333 !

I am almost 8 months out.

I do each set of exercises 3 times a week and have one day off per week. I do 3 sets of 12 for each exercise. None seem to aggravate the right hip because they are all controlled and mostly work glutes. I don't do any exercise if I feel any twinges.

Day A: mini side lunges (both sides), side steps with a light resistance band around my legs(both sides), light bridges for glutes, sit/stand, quad arcs on left only (lift foot off ground while in sitting position)

Day B: mini front lunges ( both sides), wall ball sit/stand, standing leg lifts as tolerated (front, side, back), balance on left foot, sitting marches.

I have experimented with what aggravated the non-surgical hip, and it has a lot to do with pivoting, walking, and being on my feet (weight on it) and biking. I wake up in the morning without pain and by mid-day I'm hurting, just by bustling around the house. I do my exercises in the evening.
 
Last edited:
@Schaargi
I have a torn labrum, the steroid shots give me about 60% relief. The last one lasted over a year.
With my torn labrum I find the front standing leg lifts and sitting marches aggravate my torn labrum. You may want to pay attention to be sure those are not irritating your hip.

I find gentle hip flexor, hamstring, and calf stretches help my hip feel better and keep it from getting tight. You can find good stretches in Bob Anderson's book Stretching.
 
Hi @Pumpkln!

Thanks for the labrum advice. It's good to know someone else has had this problem.

Yes, the front lifts aggravate it. I rarely do those on my right leg anymore. The marches have never bothered me.

I'm revising my thought that I have 60% relief. After tutoring my nephew today and buzzing around the kitchen my pain level is back up to a 7 tonight. Gotta figure this out. Calling the doc tomorrow...
 
In addition to stretches, I also do core strengthening to stabilize my trunk and hip.
I have mild arthritis in that hip, should my symptoms ever get to the point that I consider surgery I will go straight to THR.
 
:console2:I'm sorry that it is hurting so much...please let us know what you find out from your talk with the doctor.
 
@Schaargi

With my supposed labral year, it hurts to stretch, as any extension toward the back hurts. This means that walking hurts, too. And the flexion on the bike aggravates it.

I had to try different stretches before I found on that does not irritate my hip. I lie on my bed with my leg over the side, sliding my foot back until I feel a gentle stretch. This stretch primarily stretches my quads with out irritating my labrum.

My pool closed, but I fear that flutter kicks would also aggravated it.
You are right flutter kicks will irritate your hip labrum. Swimming or exercising in the pool is a challenge, with a torn hip labrum.

My question is, how do you exercise? My body is languishing and I've gained 15 pounds. I feel flabby and weak.
Walking is a challenge, right now I have a Mortons neuroma..
Prior to the Mortons neuroma I was walking a mile a couple of times a week. Currently I stretch, and do core strengthening exercises.
Once Covid is better controlled I will have the Mortons neuroma addressed.
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I spoke on the phone with my surgeon today regarding the pain on my "good" hip. After assessing what worked and what didn't with the cortisone shot, he thinks that it is the tendon in front of my hip (hip flexors) that has tightened up. He told me to stretch and describes the stretches that many of you and my physical therapist have described. I told h I was already doing them, but gently and tentatively. He suggested that I be more assertive in my stretching and to give it a month. He also suggested that I go back to my (awesome) PT if I think I need more guidance.

Is it possible to over stretch my hip flexors? I feel like such a chicken! :chuckmarch:
 
Start any stretching very gradually and build up slowly. Lengthen the stretch just a bit and then see how you feel the next day. Trying to aggressively stretch any area that is tight can be tricky. Be sure you warm up before increasing the stretch.
 
Hi @Jaycey,
Thanks! I was apprehensive to step it up and this helps. Do you have any recommendations for warm up movements?
 
What I do to warm up is just do the stretch but very gently for several repetitions (in my case hamstring stretches). Then slowly increase the stretch slightly. Don't feel you need to do anything dramatic all at once. I made that mistake and had to recover from a muscle pull.

You will gradually get to the full stretch. What I did was just continue to do the stretches daily. Now they are very easy and the daily activity means no more tight hamstrings.
 
Another week, another set of home exercises on the books.:tada:

My other hip is calming down a little bit. Thanks, all, for the suggestions and support. I'm now more confident in stretching, thanks to your advice. Maybe I can go for a little walk next week. :fingersx:
 
Boy, did I overdo it yesterday. We had my in-laws over for my husband's birthday (just cake). I panicked a couple of hours before they came and cleaned the house. I tried to take it easy but the impending arrival of my mother-in-law took over my common sense. Sigh. So my nim-surgical hip has seized up. I've been icing and hope to feel better in a couple of days.

As for good news, my surgical hip weathered the storm like a champ and I finished another week of exercises!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom