Guest viewing is limited

THR Scarlett on the Other Side<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I had this ongoing soap-opera style dream...every time I went to sleep I dreamed a new installment in the storyline (which was centered around me having an affair with my boss!). It was really bizarre but also highly entertaining.
 
@ScarlettB ...I need an update on the soap opera (i was raised on Days of Our Lives in the late 80's, early 90's). Perhaps it was your evil twin pretending to be you that was sleeping with your boss?

Hope you are doing well.
 
Not so good, actually. I've been suffering from wicked depression, cabin fever, loneliness, and pain. Still so much pain. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Am still on my full dose of pain meds, still using a walker, still unable to do very much at all. It's very discouraging. My disability coverage only goes through tomorrow -- but there is no possible way I could go back to work next week. Luckily, my employer is very understanding.

This morning I woke up, very early, with intense groin pain which has gotten worse as the day goes on. It's a VERY sharp, sudden pain that occurs when I'm moving, but it takes only the tiniest of movements to trigger it. This is as bad a pain as any I've experienced, pre- or post-op; were talking scream-out-loud, stopped-in-my-tracks pain. Of course I'm wondering if it's dislocation but everyone says there's no question when that occurs, so this must be something else. However, I'm pretty scared. Luckily I have a follow-up with my surgeon tomorrow, so maybe I can get some answers. In the meantime I thought I'd pop in here and see if anyone has any ideas or maybe has had a similar experience.

Sorry for the doom-and-gloom. @YoungHippy, how is your recovery coming along?
 
I'm so sorry to hear that, Scarlett. Maybe you should tag Josephine and get some advice? I'm glad you're seeing your surgeon tomorrow and hope you get a solution for the pain.
 
@ScarlettB, what a difficult time you are having. All of that pain while still using the full dose of meds, the disability and the new very intense groin pain at this point post-op do not sound normal to me. Very glad you are going to your surgeon tomorrow so that you can get some answers and some treatment. Wishing the best to you! ⚘♥︎
 
@ScarlettB Hope you get some answers tomorrow on what is going on. Please keep us all posted. So sorry you are feeling this way. :(

Things are ok here, just a little depressed. Feeling stuck, but that seems to be a normal thing after something like this.
 
@Zelda, that's a good idea... @Josephine, any words of wisdom?

I slept for most of the day, but got up a little while ago to fix myself something to eat (BF is at a gig). I can barely even put weight on the affected leg now. Also having a steady, aching pain in the front of my leg, sort of mid-quad. That sort of ache isn't unusual but coupled with the new groin pain -- well, just thought I'd mention it FWIW.

@Krista , my insurance company initially only approved my disability until May 1st (surgery was on April 4)! I expect it will be fairly simple to get another extension, and am grateful that my boss isn't expecting me back anytime soon. I may also be able to transition back to work by working from home.

@YoungHippy, boo! I'm sorry you're feeling stuck and depressed. This whole process is taking way longer than I thought it would, and I'm getting antsy to be out and about. Have you had any outings other than to the doc? I went out to lunch last week and it lifted my spirits immensely.
 
Am still on my full dose of pain meds, still using a walker, still unable to do very much at all.
Of course you're not! You are barely 5 weeks post-op! Did you read the recovery articles you were left in post #16? Especially the one on activity progression and energy drain.
This morning I woke up, very early, with intense groin pain which has gotten worse as the day goes on.
So what have you been doing?

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Scarlett on the Other Side<


[Bonesmart.org] Scarlett on the Other Side<



1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At PT
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.
 
Today I have been doing little to nothing -- staying in bed, icing, sleeping.
The intense shooting pain at DL4f and EL4F. The dull but more constant ache at F, G and H L5F.

1. Lateral
2. Right now pain at about a 6 resting, 9-10 when moving. On average, pain (with medication) ranges between 4-7.
3. Prescribed 15 mg Oxycodone, 1-2 every 4-6 hours; Tylenol 1000 mg every 6 hrs. Am taking 30 mg oxy every 4 hrs, Tylenol 1000 mg every 6.
4. Activity level ranges from almost none (resting in bed, getting up only to use bathroom, get water and ice packs) to, on a high-activity day, preparing simple meals, very light cleaning. No shopping or errands.
5. Currently doing no specific PT exercises.
 
@ScarlettB I went out earlier this week to have my hair tamed. I would say cut but after 5 months without any professional attention it was more like taming a wild cat. That's part of what set off the depression. Last November I had a thick head full of reddish brown hair with some gray streaks here and there. Now my hair is super fine with wide streaks of white. My hair dresser says she sees alot of that with her geriatric clients who have surgery, she thinks it might be from the anesthesia. So yeah, I went from 38 to 58 in 6 months, and with the weight bearing restrictions feel every bit of that 58 in the mornings. On the bright side, between the hair cut and the thinning, I only need a root touch up kit to dye my whole head. So at least I save money. Bright side to every thing, right? I know that's trivial compared to what you are going through, it's just the latest thing that made me cry.

Please check in after your appointment tomorrow, and I'll be keeping an eye out to see what Joesphine says too.
 
@YoungHippy I think it is quite common to have hair loss after surgery but it should come back. My nails went all dry and cracked after mine but I can see the damaged bits growing out.
 
@YoungHippy -- oh man, what a bummer! But I've heard that it's very common as well, and NOT permanent...so enjoy your lowered hair-dye costs while they last! :)
 
So you pains are here?
[Bonesmart.org] Scarlett on the Other Side<


2. Right now pain at about a 6 resting, 9-10 when moving. On average, pain (with medication) ranges between 4-7.
That's high for 6 weeks out.
3. Prescribed 15mg Oxycodone, 1-2 every 4-6 hours; Tylenol 1000mg every 6 hrs. Am taking 30mg oxy every 4hrs, Tylenol 1000mg every 6.
You should have more than adequate pain management with that. I suggest you contact your doctor and tell him the oxycodone isn't doing it for you and can you please try something else. You need better relief than that. I would suggest Tramadol.
4. Activity level ranges from almost none (resting in bed, getting up only to use bathroom, get water and ice packs) to, on a high-activity day, preparing simple meals, very light cleaning. No shopping or errands.
Okay.
5. Currently doing no specific PT exercises.
You say no 'specific' PT exercises but are you doing any on your own? Straight leg raises, for instance?
 
Yes. that's where the pain is.
I've had Tramadol in the past (as well as many other drugs) and no luck with it. I consulted with the PA at the surgeon's office two weeks ago and she offered Vicodin, but advised I stick with the oxy and add in the Tylenol. So they are aware that I've had problems with the meds and I will, of course, bring it up again at today's appt. I am hesitant to try anything else because if it doesn't work, then what? I'd rather stick with the evil I know (which at least takes the edge off).
Not doing any exercises like straight leg raises -- just normal activity.
 
Thanks :)

Turns out my appointment had to be rescheduled -- they squoze me in next Tuesday.

Will spend the weekend icing, which really seems to help. Hopefully it's just a pulled muscle or similar and will be improved by then.
 
Boo-hoo on the postponed appointment! Yes, do lots of icing and resting, and perhaps things will get better.
 
So sorry about the postponed appointment. Sure hope that the ice does help in the mean time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom