Revision TKR Scared about surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is better had my 2 cups of coffee pain level tolerable. Now the negative knee gave out 2x this morning ( not fun ), getting up from a sitting position no fun either!! Taking good with bad today is better.
 
Yes, if your knee replacement is going to be revised to a hinged knee, then the existing hardware will have to be removed, because the femoral and tibial components of the hinged knee won't fit the existing components.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you will have to lose an appreciable amount of bone. It may just be a matter of doing some slight shaping, to fit the new hardware. The longer stem on the hinged knee will go further down inside your tibia, but you shouldn't lose anything from the outside of your tibia to accommodate that.

Besides driving myself nuts I keep going back to what you wrote. I completely understand current implant has to come completely out. My concern I all ready have a longer stem in the tibia based on loosening from previous surgeries. Should I be concerned if they have to put an even longer one in?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No need for concern. They'll just extend the existing hole.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There was a question that someone asked concerning barometric pressure changes and how it effects the bum knee. Well the past couple of days cold front moving thru Virginia along with lots of rain with temps dropping later today and my knee is not liking any of it. Have not done anything and it feels bad.
 
We had a storm passing through earlier this week, my knee was not happy. The good news is that my knee used to hurt a lot more during stormy weather or barometric drops.
 
We had a storm passing through earlier this week, my knee was not happy. The good news is that my knee used to hurt a lot more during stormy weather or barometric drops.

I really hope this time I get some success. This has been going on for far too long. Its great to read no problems with hinged knee since it was done 6yrs ago. If I can 3-4 good years I will be okay with it.
 
Started PT Saturday same therapist I had last time only difference he was training a new guy and of course he went by the book and checked everything related to knee. Some I have had done numerous times others ( they hurt ) this was a first. My ROM R knee 145 bad 132, extension R leg perfect L leg approx 10-15 degrees. Measured swelling L knee 53.5cm ( looks like a water balloon ). Straight leg could not get heel off of bed.
After the evaluation started with 4 easy exercises. Quad set 10x 2sets Supine Hip abduction w/ elastic band 10x 2 sets, Hip Flexion 10x 2 sets, Standing Hamstring Curls 10x 2 sets. With the exception of the eval. the PT was not too bad but the rest of the day was rough and yet again today only did the exercises and short walk. Based on how the knee feels my short walk was too long.
 
I think you need to let your knee calm down, so it's not inflamed before your surgery.

Why not do a few exercises one day and walk on another day? In other words, alternate the days.

At the moment, there's no point in measuring your ROM. Take one reading as a potential end-target for your next recovery and then forget about ROM until you have your new knee. In fact, forget about PT, particularly any exercises that hurt. At this point, they're counter-productive.

You main need now is to go into surgery in December with a knee that isn't inflamed.
 
I did ask the therapist about if the knee is inflamed will it be a problem during surgery and yes his answer was the same as yours. Your advice is spot on no argument and of course being a guy I can be stubborn so part of how I feel is a direct result of being stupid. When the weather is nice short sleeve shirt maybe a light sweater who wants to sit around the house all day?? Not me. I do enjoy going for a walk whether its in my neighborhood or nearby park etc fresh air is great. Yes I agree doing PT is good to help strengthen and walking is good but not both same day. When I walk keep it short 15-20 minutes max anything over that I am begging to be miserable. The days I have PT no walking as far as walking goes not everyday but every other day. May no be a perfect solution but it will be easier to deal with.
 
Your definitely in a awful situation-and have been. I really hope the hinged knee surgery will make all the difference for you so you can be one of the success stories!!
In the meantime- as hard as it is not to overdo it right now- everything you do that will help the surgery be a success- keeping inflammation down etc- I would think -will only help you.
I’m hearing that it’s hard for you to think positive about this working due to all you’ve gone through- and I have not gone through what you have- so I don’t know the best response -except that I’m thinking of you- and really rooting for a good outcomee
I hope this waiting period for you is a time you will be able to look back on and share with others -after you are recovering well.:hugzz:
 
Not expecting any earth shattering miracle in fact what I am hoping for is some improvement ( if you go by %'s ) if all I get is 5% that is 5% more than I have now and will gladly take it.
 
I think you need to let your knee calm down, so it's not inflamed before your surgery.

Why not do a few exercises one day and walk on another day? In other words, alternate the days.

At the moment, there's no point in measuring your ROM. Take one reading as a potential end-target for your next recovery and then forget about ROM until you have your new knee. In fact, forget about PT, particularly any exercises that hurt. At this point, they're counter-productive.

You main need now is to go into surgery in December with a knee that isn't inflamed.

Only reason for measurements was for the PT evaluation personally I could care less. My flexion has always been good better then what would be expected considering. My extension is weak, I cannot fully straighten the leg but I have been dealing with it so no biggy.
The exercises they want me to do are easy they do not cause pain. What causes a bad day is PT and then walking on top of it. My goal limit walks to 20 minutes every other day and the 2 days a week I have PT do not walk.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a comment if I do too much well I pay for it, the rest of the day and possibly the following are miserable. No one to blame but myself. Then there are days like today, its a beautiful fall day temp. in the upper 50's lots of sun its great. There is no reason for how the knee feels today did a 15 minute walk ( half a mile ) knee gave out once, went to store needed a few things ( COFFEE!!! ) came home. I can hardly walk the next 44 days are going to be fun.
 
Only place I can think of is the mfg. web sites, this is the revision hinged knee I received.
Legion HK system
YouTube video of hinged knee surgery, you need you sign in and verify age.
Hinged knee revision surgery

This is what I know, my knee does not hurt when I walk, it doesn't hurt all night long, it does not hurt even when I am resting.
Bottom line the difference from my primary knee that hurt almost all the time, and my hinged knee that does not hurt, is that I am pain free.
 
@pumpkin WOW!! Did not need to sign in just clicked and watched. After watching 10 minutes of the video ( I will watch the rest later ) there is no way you would even remotely want to be awake for this procedure!! It's good to read you are doing so well with no pain in my case ( not trying to be pessimistic ) due to all the surgeries odds of being pain free might be pretty slim based on what I have been told but it would be nice well awesome really.
 
It was a full year recovery, you will need to be patient, very patient while your knee heals in its own good time.
 
@pumpkin Thanks for that but at the stage I am at 1 year give or take has been the usual since the 4th TKR. Not trying to second guess this one coming up but I would not be surprised if it takes longer ?? Really hope just once this surgery solves some knee problems. Trust me have a knee replacement every 2-3 years gets pretty old.
 
@NFenske I've had 23 left knee surgeries now. I've been plagued with multiple knee joint infections...staph, strep and enterobacter. Last year I had 7 surgeries on my knee because the infection and soft tissue tears(quad tendon). I have allergies to a lot of antibiotics so my infectious disease doctor had issues finding something I wouldn't have a reaction to. I had my original tkr is 2014 at the age of 41. I have had 2 full revisions, dec 2017 and (Had cement spacers from sept-dec 2019 to clear an infection) dec 30, 2019. Now I have a NexGen rotating hinge knee. You can find it at Zimmer Biomet website.
I would say the recovery is a bit more challenging than having your first replacement. All you can do is keep your chin up and fingers crossed something will get rid of the pain.
Best of luck!
 
@Kneegirl72 I thought I was bad this will be my 20th!! Having been thru 6 total knee and 1 rev. last Dec none of my recoveries have been easy except the scopes the partials and the first 3 replacements. Recovery for the last revision ( last Dec ) went okay until the summer then steadily worse now replacement #7 coming up odds are this recovery is going take a year plus. What away to start the New Year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom