PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick update on progress... since I have been heeding the advice of those who have "walked before me" by resting the knee, my ROM has improved to 105 degrees flexion and 1 degree extension. My gait while walking is more natural looking, not "peg-legged" as some have described it. Next week will be the next test when I will be making two business trips in one week. Thanks again for all the advice.
 
Larry,
Great progress report! Sounds like you are doing better!
I'm a road warrior, so I can empathize with you. Good luck on the business trips. I think 8 weeks is a bit early for business trips, but hopefully you will do fine. I know that I would have had some pain doing that at 8 weeks. I did my first business trip at about 13 weeks.
This morning I walked the entire length of SJC (San Jose) terminal A, and 3 gates into Terminal B. There are no people movers in that airport! It was more than a 1/4 mile walk. So that is my exercise for the day :)
So far I've only done short hops to So Calif. But I have customers on the East Coast, so it's only a matter of time...

Take care,
Roger
 
I know SJC airport well. I used to live in San Mateo and used both SFO and SJC regularly (now ATL is the main departure point for me). I used to be a road warrior (90+% travel) but have scaled back to 40-50%. Even with the travel experience, I am still a little concerned about this first post-surgery trip. I can't wait for the fun with TSA after setting off the metal detectors. I hope I get the scanner and can avoid the pat-down.

Have you ever used bio magnets as part of any healing process? I am wondering if strapping a couple around the knee while traveling might help to keep the blood circulating better.
 
I wish we had a list of the people who worried about their ROM along with their pre-Bonesmart and post-Bonesmart ROM figures. That would be impressive. Anyhow, great news.

I think if you do foot pumps and occasionally stretch your leg out, you'll be fine. Good luck with TSA. I have acquired quite a sour attitude. If they have the whole body scanner I can get by without a pat down but otherwise I get a total search. I wish they'd take their time and work those sore muscles while they're at it. I also wear a hard brace which creates a lot of investigative work on their part. I'd be more patient if not for the things that seem to escape their notice (such as a scalpel I once accidentally left in one of my carryon).
 
Good luck on your travel. The airport is never fun no matter where it is. I have been through the scanner and patted down. Only one experience was less than stellar. I just make sure I have extra time and always tell the screener in advance of my knee. There is also a card you can print off from the TSA website that describes your replacement. I have never used it but have it on hand.

If you have a handicap parking sticker, you may want to bring I with you. Not sure where you are traveling to, but I often visit college campuses. Parking is always a problem but having my placard has been a godsend, especially in those early days.

Good luck and remember to stretch that leg out.

Best,

Dawn
 
Unfortunately, no handicap placard, so I park where I can. I will be flying from Atlanta to Portland, OR, followed by a 3 hour drive to Newport, OR. It is good that I picked a nice, easy trip for my return to traveling. Thanks for the tip on printing the card from the TSA site. I will be sure to look that up before leaving. I am somewhat used to the process as I wore a knee brace prior to the surgery and that set off every metal detector/scanner around. I think I was engaged to one of the TSA agents after the more-than-thorough pat down I received on one trip. I think I will advise the flight attendants when I board so they won't be surprised when I get up and walk around a lot during the flight.
 
Looking for input... one of my key goals in my recovery is to be able to take my daughter snow skiing in late February. At that time, I will be 7 months post-surgery. I have shared this goal with my OS and PT and have not received any negative responses. I plan to wear a knee brace for support and have given up the off-piste and tree skiing that I did in days of yore. As my daughter is a novice, I will stay on the bunny slopes and longer green runs. Any thoughts?
 
I always try to use the scanner instead of the walk through metal detector. Also, if you are sure that you are being routed to the scanner, NEVER tell them that you have a metal knee, as once they hear that, they will give you the enhanced patdown regardless of the scanner result.
TSA will completely disregard any knee ID card. Again, all that will do is trigger an enhanced patdown.
Good luck on your trip!

Roger
 
Larry Rod. I too traveled this summer and I used the scanner and did not set off anything. If it is available by all means use it because it will make your like easier.

I am born and raised in Portland, Oregon and took many trips to the Oregon coast, Newport being some of them. Enjoy your trip, it is so beautiful there!
 
Thanks. I love the Newport area, but, unfortunately, most of my time will be spent in a paper mill in Toledo (about 7 miles inland). I will be sure to keep Roger's advice in mind about not divulging anything about the metal parts if I am routed to the scanner. I am TSA Pre-Check which does me absolutely no good now. I will be sure to provide an update after the experience is over.
 
​
Sorry about that. The message was cut off. Bonnie, is it safe to assume that you did some skiing while you were in Oregon? If so, what are your thoughts on my goal of taking my daughter skiing in February? OK? Bad idea? Time will tell? ​
 
​
Sorry about that. The message was cut off. Bonnie, is it safe to assume that you did some skiing while you were in Oregon? If so, what are your thoughts on my goal of taking my daughter skiing in February? OK? Bad idea? Time will tell? ​

Larry, I have not snow skied as an adult, but I am sure that my knee problems started when I was a teenager, falling while skiing on Mt. Hood and tearing the ligaments in my knee. I used to water ski here in Texas, but I don't even want to try it now. I've been thru too much to risk torquing my knee again! But, with that being said, Kelly is the skier here, so she should have some input for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom