THR SAPPER-RET Recovery Thread

Good to hear from you. You'll likely notice more progress over the next several months and even into the next year, maybe even two years. I hope you have a nice Spring / Summer 2023 :SUNsmile: Thanks for stopping by!
@SAPPER-RET
 
Hello Layla, its SAPPER-RET I could not figure out my old log in and password. I am at my two yr mark and I am still healing from the L THR. Its more due to the wound, I am still having numbness/spasms and loss of strength. I currently work out five time a week, swimming, total weights work out, walking and stationary bike but it seems I am at a plateau, any suggestions?
 
@veteran 357 … we’ll need to merge your old account with this new one you’ve established. Which username would you like to use going forward?
 
Ok, thanks for the information. We will get that changed for you!

I am sorry you're still struggling at almost two years post op.

Wondering when you last checked in with your OS? You are likely doing too much if you continue to deal with pain and spasms. The numbness can happen as BoneSmarts Nurse Emeritus, Josephine, once mentioned she experienced numbness around her incision for several "years" post op.

Are you noticing more pain as a result of all of the activity? You may want to try cutting back on some of this for a time and see if you notice a difference. It's great to be active, but I am wondering if you ever allowed yourself the time to heal, or if you've been doing a lot of this all along?

It can't hurt to check in with your OS's office, even if only to speak with a member of his care team. Through conversation they should be able to advise or offer the peace of mind you're seeking. We do often mention that many continue to notice improvement into their second and even third years post op, but IF you're constantly overdoing it, it may be hindering you more than helping.

Stay in touch and thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@veteran 357
 
You may need some targeted therapy. Even though you are working out, you may have weakness in some specific muscles that you aren't getting to with all all the workout exercises. A good physical therapist can help with that. See your surgeon first just to be sure all is right with your implant, and then get an order for the therapy either from your surgeon or your GP. I'm having to do the same thing with my hip and I'm 2 years out. Therapy is helping, but I think it's going to take a while.
 
Thank you I will get a check up, I believe with all the activity I have been doing may be the cause, it is not really painful just numbness and Tingley with some spasms. TTYU soon!
 
Update, no medical problems with the hip, it is my activity level, I quest I need to slow down a bit, I am not a spring chicken anymore. I am getting use to the new feeling in the hip area I can tell it's still has its healing going on after two YRs.
 
Good news about your hip. It’s a pretty typical thing for us not to realize we’re no longer the spring chicken we once were. Join the (very large) club! I’m about 2 years out from my hip replacement myself and still need to pace myself as my strength isn’t what it used to be. Like you, I still have some time needed to regain the loss of muscle tone and strength that disappeared after surgery.
 

Jamie​

I see half of you are a terminator LOL, its true I am still healing and it probably will be on going for yrs. Well Thanks for the chat,see ya.
 
Yep….Terminator for sure. I really light up the scanner in airports!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom