TKR RTKR

I take Acetaminophen
The most effective way to take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

I do stretching at home. Calf stretching, quad squeezes, I can touch my toes (I have hyperflexion of my hamstrings),
Stretches feel good. Standing side leg raises, calf raises, all good.
This is good.

Heel glides cause the worst pain. I try to do them using controlled breathing. Doesn't help.
Then don’t do them. You move around throughout your day enough, which gives your knee natural bending motions, that you don’t need to do heal slides.

Just shopping at Kohl's department store and sitting in Starbucks is enough of a day for me. Or bank, post office. Laundry, library. I try to keep active. Then ice & massage. my knee. Except for rainy days. Then it's just take it easy. I take Tylenol round the clock.

Keeping active is good. Ice and gentle massage is also good. My PKR is 7 years old and still doesn’t like rainy days.

I had cataract surgery last year and guess what, my eyes don’t like rainy days! What’s up with that? No one knows why. :blackcloud: It’s always something, isn’t it?

(And I just got home from Kohl’s, doing an Amazon return, and I bought a lightweight denim shirt with the coupon I got from the return. So hard to find those in the stores.)

Hang in there! :console2:

had excellent ROM shortly after surgery and I hurt plenty
Agree with @mendogal -I had really great ROM from early on (120/130 degrees) and I certainly still felt plenty of pain.
My understanding from reading the research is that MUA is for breaking up adhesions causing stiffness- often with a "hard stop". If you don't have adhesions then I am not sure how an MUA can help.

had excellent ROM shortly after surgery and I hurt plenty
Agree with @mendogal -I had really great ROM from early on (120/130 degrees) and I certainly still felt plenty of pain.
My understanding from reading the research is that MUA is for breaking up adhesions causing stiffness- often with a "hard stop". If you don't have adhesions then I am not sure how an MUA can help.
I don't know, but two of my OS's said that I would benefit from having MUA, regardless of not having adhesions (according to the MRI). I don't think they would recommend this procedure for me if they didn't feel it would help me at all.
(Not necessarily 100%, but better than where I am now.)
I don't know if all my pain will go away, but I have to try.

We may not understand, but we 100% support you in making this very personal decision based on your trust in them, and will continue to be here for you each step of the way.

All the best, Birdie. :console2: I wish you the outcome you're hoping for.
Please keep us posted. We're here for support and will look forward to your updates.
@Birdie23

Thank you, I appreciate your support.

Because of birth defects, I had to have 12 knee surgeries since 1983, so I've had lots of knee recovery experience. I knew from that experience that I did not need formal PT after my TKR, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and do not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!

I believe you have overworked your poor knee, not allowing it to heal and keeping it inflamed. Our knees don't need to be worked to recover from this surgery. They need time, the time to heal. Even without having PT, I did still have pain when I did too much around the house or yard. The next couple of days I'd just do the mandatory things and spend the rest of the time just icing and elevating. This went on for up to a year. Pain is your knee's natural way to tell you to STOP, you're doing too much! I think you'd be so much better if you stop all the aggressive movements and forget about an MUA, which will just inflame your poor knee even more.

These decisions are difficult to make and even more so when you have differing opinions to consider. I can completely understand you wanting to go with what two medical doctors have recommended. Having an MUA shouldn’t harm your knee, other than you may be pretty sore afterwards. Try not to worry about it and just wait to see what, if any, improvements the procedure will bring.

I do caution you to be wary of anyone who tells you that you must aggressively work your knee after the MUA. This can further inflame a knee that’s been manhandled pretty aggressively. The procedure itself causes irritation in the soft tissue of your knee that needs to get resolved as soon as possible. The best way to do this is not to try and work through pain. Pay attention to your body’s signals and if something is causing you pain or results in swelling, your body is not quite ready for that yet. You will need to move around every hour or so in order to keep the knee loose, but no heavy exercise will be needed for your recovery from the procedure.

I wish you the best with this and please let us know how things go.

Update :
I had the MUA last Tuesday April 2. The OS showed me a photo of my knee and it was completely bent!
I was shocked.
Of course, when I woke up, reality set in. I'm extremely sore on the inner part of my leg. Inner thigh to calf. More of muscle soreness. The good thing is that the awful pain I was experiencing since my Oct 31st surgery is gone.
Now, my leg is very swollen and sore. So, my rom is again compromised by the swelling.
The hospital doctor prescribed Dilaudin (which I take 30-45 min prior to PT).
I also take Tylenol (and sometimes take Aleve, but that causes hair loss) and use Lidocaine cream.
I went to PT the following day. She iced the knee area and put a TENS machine around the leg area. Afterwards, she slowly tried bending my leg back and forth, but not to pain level.
I walked back and forth practicing my gait a bit. I felt my gait was somewhat improved. I'm using a cane.
Anyway, I took a break from PT until Monday.
I did some home stretching and easy exercises, icing. But the swelling sure hurts a lot, and I can see that it's going to take quite some time for me to be able to get fuller rom.

Yes, you're off to a good start now; let yourself and your PT go slow and easy!

Wishing you the best! Please keep us posted on your progress.
Interesting about, Aleve. I've never heard that.
Best Wishes for PT tomorrow, go easy on yourself. :)
@Birdie23

I've been going to PT, and made a little progress with walking, but not much with knee flexion since MUA April 2nd. Swelling of my leg has decreased some, but still have painful bruising around parts of my leg, which will take time to heal. I've been using Arnica cream on the bruises.
OS showed me photo of knee fully flexed under anesthesia. There's nothing physiologically wrong with my knee anymore. But I still can't bend it past 90-95, as it's still very stiff and painful. OS recommended trying Gabapentin. My psychiatrist agreed that may help.
OS also recommended a Dynasplint device to help bend my knee.

Your MUA has increased your inflammation, which has increased your swelling. That makes your knee stiff. Fluid takes up space inside and outside your knee, so it can't bend as well as it would without all that fluid. Try resting, elevating and icing more to get that fluid out.

Update post-MUA April 2. Going to PT, and my knee ROM increased to almost 110. I still have pain & swelling around the knee and quads. I have a lot of muscle pain in my quads from knee bending exercises. I was able to ride the upright stationary bike, and the Elliptical trainer in PT. I am very excited about that.
I have also been using a Dynasplint at home.

Good news on improvements now that you're one month, to date (post procedure)
Stay in touch sharing your progress so we're able to cheer you on. :yes!:
Happy Thursday! :)
@Birdie23

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back