Guest viewing is limited

RTKR June 9th...possible postpone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Friday afternoon I received a call from the surgeons office. They said it was necessary to move the surgery date one week to June 16th because the knee company was behind and the custom tools were not finished being made.
A few hours later they called to tell me that the EKG I had last Wednesday came back abnormal. I was told to see a cardiologist. My primary care doctor referred me to one of the best cardiologists in the area. By the time I tried to call for an appointment the office was closed for the weekend. I had a rough weekend worrying about my heart and if I was going to get an appointment in time for surgery.
On Monday I called and was given an appointment for yesterday. As soon as the cardiologist walked into the room, he said, "I strongly disagree that this is an abnormal EKG." He explained that the variance was caused by placement of one of the leads on my chest. He performed another EKG and the result was normal.
Now I am just hoping the tools are ready and I can get this TKR behind me.
 
One thing I forgot to mention. On June 3rd I had the last appointment with my surgeon before the surgery. He answered all of my questions and concerns and then he took an X-ray of my fractured foot. He said that the fracture was not completely healed but he wanted me to try and transition to walk without the boot.
I have now been walking without the boot for over a week and I do not have any pain. My foot feels great! I am very careful to not step on the edge of a stair and I am trying to make sure my foot is flat on the ground as I walk. That isn't too easy with the bad knee, but I now know this will not have any negative impact on rehab after surgery.
 
Up and down up and down - ugh!!! I am glad you are working it all out. But I guess from what everyone tells us this is how the recovery goes too - I think it is just the way life works. Live each moment and be thankful. And if things are going hairy - breathe and know that too will change momentarily!!! 36 days and counting!!
 
What a scary wait to find out a misplaced lead gave you an abnormal reading, but I'm thankful all is well in cardio land!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I had the same thing happen to me several years ago with an EKG. Glad yours turned out to be nothing, as mine did. Sounds like your foot is healing nicely and all systems are go!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm glad the abnormal ekg was a false alarm. Now let's just get those parts ready!
 
@Mike_in_Pain -this is a common occurrence. A similar thing happened to me the 1st time. My surgery was scheduled, and then the doctor's office called a couple of weeks later to tell me the doctor was going to be on vacation that week and they hadn't put it in the book. So they rescheduled it for a month later at my request, but the date actually worked out to my advantage since I accrued more vacation and sick time at work during that time which gave me more paid time off. Then when I had my pre-op tests, they found a UTI which the pre-op nurse failed to culture, so by the time I was put on antibiotics it was cutting it close to my surgery date. Everything worked out ok, but it sure was stressful during those weeks leading up to the date of surgery. This time everything seems to have gone much smoother, so hopefully that bodes well for my recovery. Good luck, and it looks like we will have our surgery the same day - next Tuesday.
 
I am so sorry your having all this drama. Soon you will be able to get your new knee. Good luck on recovery. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Since this happened to me with the EKG, I've had many people share the same experience. I kept telling myself that if something is wrong it couldn't be too bad because I feel great. There many other things that can cause an abnormal EKG such as medications, dehydration, etc.
Thanks for all the well wishes and support! Gigi I wish you the best with your surgery, hopefully we will both have great success!
 
Great attitude, Mike!!! Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches in this process. It's an imperfect one sometimes because human beings are in the equation! It won't be long now and you'll be starting that recovery thread. Good luck on the 16th.
 
All kinds of weird things happen with post-op tests. Had my lung x-rays done, went to PCP for final check before TKR, the dr takes me into his office and pulls up my x-Rays on his computer. He winces and says, "that could be a cancer". Then tells me I need to have a CT scan to check. I had only taken the morning off so I'm driving into work in tears, thinking I could have lung cancer (never smoked in my life). After CT scan the office calls and says it looks like scar tissue from a rib fracture. I never had a rib fracture, I tell the nurse, but I have had pneumonia.
Craaaazy stuff! But it didn't post pone my surgery, thank heaven!
 
Tomorrow is the big day. The anxiety is starting to build a bit as I wait for the phone call to tell me the time of surgery. I found that reading the success stories here have helped calm me. Tonight is an NHL final hockey game which should keep my mind occupied.
 
@Mike_in_Pain best of luck tomorrow. I am just about one week after you on June 22nd. I will be anxiously awaiting hearing from you and seeing how it all goes. Good luck!
 
Good Luck @Mike_in_Pain..... Will be watching for your recovery!!! Make sure you post for those of us still waiting - I am one month after you!! 7/16
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom