TKR RTKR. 17/2/23

Oh no! I am so sorry to read this, Annie. No need for apologies.
It sounds like you took a terrible fall. :console2:
Such heartbreaking news about your precious dog also. Lifting a prayer and sending a warm hug your way. Please know that we’re here for you and we care.
@Anniemof

I am at 11 weeks post op and have everything going that everyone has discussed! The slow range of motion—-when I go to PT(which I’m trying to do 5 days a week) I start at 70 and walk out at 99 so not making much progress. Every morning I feel like I’m back at day one for about the first 2 hours. I was a very active person who never liked sitting or having idle time! Boy has this set me back! It takes little to nothing to make me feel spent! I ice often and take pain meds before I go to PT and before I go to bed! I’m getting probably 3 hours of sleep a night because I have to get up 4-6 times just to live around to get my knee from quit throbbing! My tends feel like they are stretched to their max—-I feel like I have a steel ball as a knee. To look at my knee it looks amazing! The scar has healed up great and there’s hardly no sweeping at all but I feel like there probably is still internal swelling that’s just not visual! As many have said…if I would’ve known how crazy this healing process was going to be—-I doubt I would’ve had this done! And the crazy part is I’m no where near the end!!! Ugh!!!!

@mxmotomom381 I felt very much like you at 11 weeks and always felt the issues were my soft tissues and musles. I was just beginning to improve when this fall happened.
I know how you feel as do many on here. For some of us it's a very long journey and I wasn't prepared for that.
The fracture clinic DR said something interesting to me, He said the younger people seem to have slower knee recoveries than the 80 year olds but he was a hand surgeon. It might be interesting to look at the stats on that.
Take care you're very early in your journery. xx

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry about your fall. It is one of my main nightmares ( the other being infection). I have stopped wearing bifocals and wear a knee sleeve if I don't have leggings on- to protect the knee from grazes/ infection risk if I fall.
Hope your wrist recovery goes well.

I've been back to hospital as struggling to walk on my new knee. Hubby had to dress me and get me on and off the loo. I had another X-ray of my knee and it's only soft tissue injury, thank goodess. I feel like I've been hit by a bus and I'm back to square one. I've also had to rent a commode from the Red Cross as I know I'll struggle tonight again. It feels like it never rains, but it pours. I'll be icing again tonight. x

I am so sorry to read about your fall. I had a fall at less than a year out that broke my foot and ankle on the same leg and my new knee. I certainly understand your all-over pain. Are you able to use your wrist at all, or is it non-movement? You can ice it, too. I found that helped my knee, foot, and ankle all at the same time. Needless to say, I froze and had to step outside to warm up frequently! Good thing it was warm weather!

I pray you heal quickly and get back to where you were before your fall. Your resting will actually help your knee to heal because you are not putting stress on it and those soft tissues will settle down. :prayer: :console2:

Thank goodness it’s only soft tissue, but that’s certainly cold comfort as you struggle with pain and mobility. Hubs sounds like a loving caregiver, just what you need right now. I hope you begin feeling better soon, Annie. :console2:
@Anniemof

Sorry to hear this! I am always worried about falling. We can all relate to feeling like an old woman at our various younger ages. We're not old yet! I guess the good news is you didn't bust up your knee. Are you improving any since this post? Hopefully you're not sobbing anymore. I have been coming on here less and less. It's not that I'm improving, more that things are still the same. I too have knee stiffness, and a sore back/hip. Take a small amount of tramadol. And so it goes.

Let us know what's going on with your dog. Our pets are members of our family, and I know how hard it is when one gets sick. Take care.

@Anniemof , my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you’ve had such a hard time recently. Falling is all of our worst nightmares I think. And your dog…oh that’s awful.
I've managed to break my right wrist and I'm bruised from head to toe on my left side. luckily my replaced knee is fine, in fact I ache so much everywhere else the right knee doesn't feel as bad. I can't drive, have had to order sofa raises as I can't get up without help, as it's too low with one hand, a dodgy left knee and a not fully recovered right knee. I feel like an old woman at 60.
This is such terrible luck. It could happen to any of us and I’m sorry it happened to you. Not being able to use one of your arms must be so difficult! We depend so much on our arms the first several months to safely sit and stand back up, along with many other things. I’m glad you have your lovely husband to help you, but it must be very hard.
today my dog had been diagnosed with an abdominal mass, is really poorly and it's not looking good, she's only 8, dog and cat parents, will know how I'm feeling.
I cried when I read this. I just lost my beautiful boy, Sky Dog, 3 weeks ago to intestinal cancer. My heart is still shattered and so is my husband’s. We haven’t been able to put away his things yet. I do understand how these wonderful creatures are family to many of us and almost like our children. I’m so sorry about your sweet girl’s diagnosis. We haven’t met but I’ll be thinking of you nonetheless. ❤️

The fracture clinic DR said something interesting to me, He said the younger people seem to have slower knee recoveries than the 80 year olds but he was a hand surgeon
Thinking about this.
I wonder if younger people push themselves too much in the early stages and overdo things- thus setting their recoveries back? Older people may be more realistic and have lower expectations.

@Anniemof - The younger people aren't tough like we are. How do they overdo things? You mean they are texting more than usual? Spending more time on Facebook? Ha! Anyway, they can't be going any slower than I am. I am still recovering, seven months later. Lately I've not had good days and am thinking once again that this surgery hasn't helped me.

@JusticeRider I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. They give us such pleasure and joy but when they go it's heart breaking. You and your hubby will be in my thoughts. All my previous dogs have died from old age and I think death from old age is easier to deal with than a cancer diagnosis. xx

Well I'm six months post op RTKR and 6 weeks post R wrist fracture, to say it's been a hard year is an understatement. The wrist is healing, still aches but I can use it more.
The right knee ROM is still 90 degrees ( I was 90 at ten days post op ) I'm much more accepting of this now and realise some of us just take longer to heal and I if I don't improve, well I've got to get on with life. This is not a trial run.
The knee remains very stiff, when I wake up and after sitting or elevating in any one position for too long. I still feel the main problem is down to my tendons, ligaments and quads which I've always felt since early in the post op were a problem.
I'm currently having Myofacial release massage, which I do feel loosens everything up and is beneficial. I still have very weak quads especially the VMO, which I'm working on. I'm doing more walking and gettting out with the dog, ( only one now as lost my girl Patsy to liver cancer) I can't take on another rescue at the moment as the wrist not healed enough and it wouldn't be fair to the dog.
I'm still touching base on bonesmart to see how everyone is doing and how new members are coping. I'm still not at the point were I feel I would do this again, Left knee needs doing and has worsened since the surgery which I believe is common, I don't think I could do it mentally or physically. In fact it's put me off doing any of the other orthopedic surgery. I've had CMC thumb Joint removal with tightrope proceedure to both thumbs and has been a massive improvement to hand arthritis, in fact a walk in the park compared to this.
I'm glad I followed bonesmart advice especially when I've read about people having repeated MUA's and not improving. Their tissues and new kness clearly are not healed and just get more inflamed by these proceedures.
I'll keep following and hopefully slowly letting my knee heal. Good luck everyone with your healing. Anne x

if I don't improve, well I've got to get on with life. This is not a trial run.
Boy, is this true! Great attitude. At only six months post op though, you have lots of time and room for improvement.

I am sorry to read of the loss of your precious, Patsy. It is so difficult to say goodbye to our furry friends.
Hang in there and give it more time to get to where you want to be. Stay in touch and thanks for the update!

when I've read about people having repeated MUA's and not improving. Their tissues and new kness clearly are not healed and just get m
Boy oh boy, you've hsd it rough. I have a ROM of 57 (yikes) and feel like you do...this will never get better. I also turned down9 an MUA MUA much to my surgeon's dismay for the same reason you did. In addition I read

Argh! Hit enter too soon. Anyway I've heard of people being in chronic pain. Nope, not doing that. I have to keep the faith that th

@Tentcamper I was about 4 months post op before my mental health improved and I'm sure you will get there. This op can be incredibly difficult for some of us. I also think for some of us it's a very slow progress and hopefully we'll get there, just a bit slower. I now wonder if my expectations were too high.
I really hope you make some progress soon xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties