Guest viewing is limited

TKR RTKR. 17/2/23

Hello and Happy Saturday Annie :wave:
While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time. You will get back to normal life. I hope you enjoy that massage next week and it brings you lots of relief. Please ket us know how it goes.
Have a nice weekend! @Anniemof
 
Not very many tkr patients are back to normal at 6 weeks. Some may see an improvement, but normal takes a while.
I tried driving a very short distance in my neighborhood with hubs riding shotgun at 6-7 weeks. It was uncomfortable. Each week I tried a little more and eventually I could drive without discomfort and fear. Patience.
And yes, this recovery can be depressing at times. Like, is this ever going to end?????

You're almost at the point where you're going to see some improvements.
Hang in there, it will get better!
 
I'm 11 1/2 weeks post op and need some advice/ help. I have made some progress but it's very slow. My main concern is my ROM which hasn't improved since I was 2 weeks PO. it's still about 90.
I manage to walk abot 9,000 to10,000 steps per day but my gait is not right and I'm very slow. I also find sitting for any period of time difficult, I've cancelled two sets of theatre tickets and suspect I'll not be able to fly at the end of June. I've also been unable to get back to my watercolour class as sitting painting with a nagging knee is not enjoyable. I don't think some of my friends understand this.
I've followed the Bonesmart way for my recovery and agree with this approach. I still atend NHS physio who manage to get my bend to 100 but it's not easy or confortable. I've also had one private physio session and he's going to work on functional activiites and massage and has given me some stretches and easy bending activities. He says Physio should not be painful or set you back days. My Quads are very weak ( they weren't before surgery) and my quad tendon remains very painful, Still on 60mg of Codeine twice daily and the same with Ibuprofen.
I was very active before surgery even though in pain and I understand this is a long recovery. I think I'm just looking for some light a the end of that very long tunnel, I need some hope that ROM can still improve. My surgeon was happy with my ROM at 51/2 weeks but double that time and I'm still at 90. ( which I was at 2 weeks)
Sorry for the long post but I now think this is the worst thing I've ever done. Anyone offer some hope Anne x
 
Hello Annie,
I understand you feel discouraged, but as you know, not everyone recovers at the same rate. You may be one of many that take longer to heal. You are making progress though through your own admission with your daily step count, physio visits, and activities of daily living which I assume you're engaging in. You're not quite three months into a recovery that takes many a full year and some even longer, still noticing progress into their second and. third years post op. I am sorry you're not getting back to all the activity you previously enjoyed, but believe with more time you will. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Continue with the massage and gentle stretches your Physio has you engaging in.

I will leave an account, you may or may not have seen posted on the forum, of another member's ROM which you will read slowly improved over time. Notice what the member's OS documented after an office visit and how this member proved her surgeon wrong. The member wrote:

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “

Wishing you all the best, Annie! Hang in there with the hope of brighter days ahead! :SUNsmile:
 
@Anniemof Hi Annie. I was doing a search for tight quads and ended up on your thread and was wondering how you are doing now. My TKR was a month after yours on 3/15/23 and I’m also struggling w/ ROM and feeling like this surgery was a mistake. At 7 weeks my PT painfully forced my bend to squeak out 112 however I could barely walk for the next week let alone do any of the exercises. I’m still not recovered from that setback and am now only at 95. Yesterday my surgeon says I’ll need a MUA if I don’t start progressing in the next 2 weeks. I’m terrified of this setting me back even further and after reading articles/comments here on Bonesmart it’s highly unlikely that I’ll be agreeing to the MUA at this point. I’m just so discouraged and down in the dumps by all this knee nonsense. I just want my life back! Maybe we can support each other? You haven’t posted in a couple weeks so I hope you are doing better.

:) Christie
 
@Christie b Hi Chrisite, I haven't posted recently but follow and read others posts.
My ROM remains 90 degrees but physio do push me to 100. I've also seen a private physio, who sets some different things.
MUA's are not done as much over here and as the physio push me 100 therefore I wouldn't qualify for one just yet. I also feel a lot of my issues are with my tendons, ligaments and muscles and I thnk an MUA would make that worse. My quads are still weak but I have seen some improvement but my quad tendon remains very sore.
The feeling down has improved somewhat but I still have times when I feel very discouraged and down but not as much, which I guess is an improvemnt. I've had to accept I'm not going to make a trip to Milan with my friends at the end of June, which was hard to do.
My family tell me I'm not saying,"this is the worst thing I've ever done in my life," quite as much as I used to but it still feels like that haha
Like you when pushed at physio, it was the exercise bike last week, which I can't do a rotation on, I end up with my knee more swollen and a set back for days.
It would be nice to support each other through our similar problems. I hope you see some improvements soon, keep in touch. Anne x
 
My ROM remains 90 degrees but physio do push me to 100.
It's really better for your knee if you don't allow your physio to push your knee past what you can do by yourself. This can cause swelling and tenderness in an already inflamed knee. You have the proof that it can bend that far but it isn't ready to yet. It will get there, plus a lot better if you just let it be and improve on its own.
 
@Anniemof Hi Annie. I’m sorry to hear you are still struggling. This is so hard, so much harder than I ever thought it would be. My surgeon told me that the 1st month is rough but that by 3 months I’d be 90% healed, what a joke. I’m trying to stay positive and do everything I can to help my situation - massage, epsom salt baths, cupping, and lots of icing/elevating. I hope brighter days are ahead for us both.
 
@sistersinhim The physio don't bend my leg but they do egg me on to push past what is comfortable for me eg past 90. My private physio works differently which is what I wanted. He also does functional stuff with me eg walking, stairs etc. x
 
I had a RTKR on 17/2/23, my day zero, as I call it. I'm six weeks post op and my knee still feels very tight. My bend is currently about 90, which is no better than 3 weeks ago. My extension is ok and I'm managing things around the home and small walks outside with my sticks. I only attend Physio every two weeks and if I try to push the bending as they say, I pay for it for the next two days. I ice and elevate all the time but my knee remains swollen and tight. My mood however is low and I am beginning to feel this is the worst thing I've ever done. I can't imagine when I'll be able to drive or take my dogs out, ( it's the little things I miss ) I'm interested to know if anyone felt like this at 6 weeks and also had this awful tight non bending knee. Sorry for the whinging I feel it's hard to stay positive at the moment.
I had a TKR 18 months ago and I got to the point during recovery where I thought, what have I done? It did get better and now my knee is fantastic. I’m waiting for my other knee to be replaced. I know now what I’m in for pain wise etc. It will get better. Please keep exercising and moving. Don’t over do it and don’t let anyone make you do too much with that knee. Good luck
 
Well I'm 4 months P\O today and to say this is not what I was expecting, is an understatement. I'm still not glad I did this but hoping that day will come. My ROM is somewhere between 90 and 100 degrees and has always been my problem ( it was the same at 10 days p\o) I'm currently working on my strength building as my tendons are still tight and uncomfortable, I feel like this has really upset them but I'm hoping I'm just a slow healer.
My phsyio was interested in the fact I had a DNA test for fitness years ago. It showed I have genes for osteoarthritis and tendon problems and also I'm predisposed to inflammation. ( all dominat versions on all of the gene which cause the problems) It was the first time she seemd to agree with me that my problems were with my tendons. ( she'd been on recent training about the genetic link to tendon and collagen repair)
I'm just wondering if anyone alse has had tendon problems post TKR? and did they eventually get better.
I was quite fit and did lots of weight training prior to this surgery, so I'm surprised how weak my quads are now and how my tendons have reacted.
Myabe our genes play a hugh role in our healing, which is underestimated by the medical society.
I've have a fair few tendon promlems and two hand surgeries for athritis, so looks like mine are following my genetic script.
 
Hi there Annie,
Interesting about the testing. Please don’t lose sight of the fact that you’re only four months into a recovery that can last a full year for many and some even report noticing improvement into their second and third years post op. I believe given more time and lots of patience the day will come when you appreciate that you chose TKR.
Wishing you a Happy Saturday and a Happy Four Month Anniversary. I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Anniemof
 
@Anniemof , can you say more about the genetic testing? I wonder if I could mine my 23andme results to see if I have that same tendency towards inflammation, because it sure seems like I do. Thanks.
 
I do appreciate I'm still early in my recovery, I just find DNA and gnetics fascinating. The testing was to do with what exercise might be best for you, so certain genes were looked at re joints ect and taking care with warming up before abd after axrcise. For examples it said I would do better at strength exercises rather than say, long distance running. It was on the radio and I find things like that very interesting. So I did it. I've also done the Ancestry one for my family tree. It doesn't change the outcome of my post op recovery but would go along with the not pushing things too much in physio x
 
I believe genetics have a whole lot to do with our ability to heal and areas that are much slower than others. I remember as a child I cried because my feet and legs hurt and my mom said that I had the family's bad joints. This has worked out to be true. My sister has had a shoulder replacement, and my brother a hip and knee replacement. It has also affected my cousins. So, in my family, it seems to be passed on!
 
@Anniemof very interesting about what you have learned about genetics! I, too, believe they play a huge role in not only how our body heals but how it responds to traumatic experiences such as surgery, our management of pain, as well as our emotional reactions just to name a few.

In general it sounds like you’re doing very well at this stage of your recovery. I hope you continue to share your insights and experiences with us.
 
@Anniemof, I am wondering how you're doing. You had your knee surgery on my birthday, OMG! So, your new knee is an Aquarius. So cool! So, there's not much you can do about your genetics. Except, I can now blame Mom for my arthritis. (And she could blame hers.) If you read any of my posts, I had a miserable time with this surgery for quite a while. Wah wah wah! I am better now. But even though I am past six months I still have knee aches, stiffness, and back aches. That's either from being old-er, or from post-op leftovers. It's a long haul, at least it is for me. But what can you do? You gotta ride with the wave.
 
@Jammy. Sorry I didn't see your message. I have one on my grand children staying as his parents have gone to a wedding in France, he's 5 and to say I'm worn out is an undertstatement. He never stops but luckily he's at school now, so i can have a look at the forum.
My knee recovery is very slow. I'm now seeing a physio who specalises in Myofascial release on my knee and leg. She says my soft tissue is very tight, I've always felt my soft tissue was the problem. I'm at the point I'll give anything a go.
I am improving but very very slowly and like you, think I'll need at least a year to recover. Bend still about 90 and quads still weak but improving slowly also. Still on pain medication but less now. knee just tight, stiff ( especially in the morning) and nagging sort pain/ discomfort.
I'd love to try hydrotherapry but can't find a pool near, loads if my dogs needed it haha but not people, I might have to try the normal pool but probably not warm enough.
Sorry to hear you still have issues, when one part is not right it knocks all our biomecanics out of kilter. Oftern makes the other knee worse and causes backache and other problems. Its a hideous op, I feel I've aged ten years haha. Onwards and upwards. xx
 
@Jammy. Sorry I didn't see your message. I have one on my grand children staying as his parents have gone to a wedding in France, he's 5 and to say I'm worn out is an undertstatement. He never stops but luckily he's at school now, so i can have a look at the forum.
My knee recovery is very slow. I'm now seeing a physio who specalises in Myofascial release on my knee and leg. She says my soft tissue is very tight, I've always felt my soft tissue was the problem.
In my experience over 20+ yrs, a good myofascial release therapist can be very effective - I hope it is for you!
 
Well, I'm 5 months today and I had a fall yesterday. I've managed to break my right wrist and I'm bruised from head to toe on my left side. luckily my replaced knee is fine, in fact I ache so much everywhere else the right knee doesn't feel as bad. I can't drive, have had to order sofa raises as I can't get up without help, as it's too low with one hand, a dodgy left knee and a not fully recovered right knee. I feel like an old woman at 60. Back to square one.
Also today my dog had been diagnosed with an abdominal mass, is really poorly and it's not looking good, she's only 8, dog and cat parents, will know how I'm feeling.
Like the Queen , this whole year is turning into my Annus Horribilis.
Sitting sobbing in bed.
Everyone plese take care not to fall, I never thought I would fall and i was lucky so the A/E doctor said, he's seen people who shatter the knee, well the surrounding bones.
Sorry for the nagative post. x
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom