THR RTHR Recovery with young children - tips?

I don't think a cushion will be AS effective as raising the entire chair @HipMom143, but anything that lets you sit a little higher will help.
 
Hello @HipMom143 :wave:
Great news! Everything is falling into place for you. Not too long to wait now.

I’m sorry you have to experience this without the support of a loved one as you prep for surgery and begin recovery. I found the staff at my surgery site to be very personable and attentive and that was in addition to any of “my peeps” that were there offering support. I’m sure given the current situation with Covid they’re extra conscientious of those dealing with discomfort and yearning for a familiar face. You’ll be in good hands.

I didn‘t use an Ice Machine in my recovery, but many have. I’ll leave an article on icing and mention one appliance I’ve heard mentioned frequently...Ossur Cold Rush. Sadly, I don’t have any other suggestions, but I’m sure some will stop by to share the type they used and how it worked for them.

I look forward to following your THR journey. A great Thursday to you! :SUNsmile:
 
No recommendations for an ice machine as I didn’t have one. I had 4or 5 of the gel pacs which we kept in the freezer. I used one constantly all day long the first days or maybe even up to 2 weeks. I took one to bed but did not replace it during the night. I liked the gel as it sort of confirmed to the area where you wanted to use it. By having several, there was always one frozen and ready to use. The gel was what they used in hospital and they gave me the ones they were using for me to take home.
 
@Layla thank you for the article, it was very helpful. Ossur was the name of the ice machine that I found too on a Google search. I’ll ask the OS and physio for their opinions too
@GrannyC thank you for the info. I’m gonna be upstairs in my bedroom and don’t plan to come down for the first week at least I think. We live in a three story house and I can’t imagine doing all those stairs post-op. It’s already a nightmare right now so I make as few trips as possible. So I think the ice machine will be the most convenient for my family who will already be coming up for my meals or to help if I call. The ice machine is also covered by extended health as long as OS gives me a note for it, I see him on Wednesday so I’ll ask him.
Anything else I should be asking OS? I have a list of questions that are mostly about restrictions. I’m feeling nervous as the date of surgery comes closer. Fear of the unknown mostly, scared about the pain and how long it will take to recover. Really nervous about dislocation, especially when sleeping - I’m worried I’ll cross past midline or turn my foot inwards because I’m a side sleeper. Although the nerves are bringing on insomnia so I’m not sleeping much these days. At least it gives me time to read recovery threads on this site.
 
You probably won't be able to side sleep in the first few weeks. But when you can, just put a pillow between your legs. This prevents the top leg from falling forward while you are asleep.

Please don't worry about dislocation. Yes, it does happen. But it is rare. Trust your surgeon and the team. This is a big deal for you. But for the team it's their day job.
 
Visit with OS was very reassuring, he said I might be discharged from hospital the day of surgery barring any issues with blood loss, blood pressure or pain. He also said bending, lifting, leg past midline and driving restrictions were for 6 weeks (not 12) and then to just be aware after that. He showed me my X-ray and MRI of my hip joint and it is bad! The AVN has caused a flat area on the ball of the femur and the darkened “dead” area was quite significant. It was a good visual that I needed to remind me why I’m doing this. He gave me the note for hospital bed and ice machine which I forwarded to extended health for approval. I narrowed down the ice machine to Ossur, Breg and Aircast - and will buy which ever one they cover. Question for icing: do you only ice the incision area? Or other areas of the leg too? Will I need ice packs plus the machine?
I can’t believe the surgery is less than 2 weeks away!
 
@HipMom143 It sounds like you are getting things lined up very well! Ah yes the x-ray visual - yup that does clearly shows you why this surgery is necessary! I remember that well.

Which ever ice machine you choose will come with instructions. Yes it fits over the incision area. No you don't need other ice packs though it might be a good idea to have one or two on hand in case of unforeseen problems -- like a power outage.

Most of the swelling after hip replacement is around the surgical site and it's usually not necessary to ice the lower leg. Elevating the leg will ease any lower leg swelling fairly quickly.
 
Thanks @djklaugh i don’t know what I would do without all of you, I’m so glad I found this forum. I wonder how people get by without all the information that I’ve learned here? I certainly wouldn’t have been prepared without Bonesmart and all the friendly members here. The pamphlets and resources that OS provides are nothing compared to real life experience. I’m so appreciative.
We have had some windstorms recently so getting ice packs in case of power outage is a great idea.
 
@HipMom143 I would highly recommend having a couple of ice gel packs on hand. As Deb suggested - in case of a power cut. But another reason is other areas might experience swelling.

Many new hippies complain of a sore knee. This is usually because the surgical team handles your knee quite aggressively to gain access to the hip joint. Icing will help that area as well.
 
Thanks @Jaycey i thought I had read of icing other areas but couldn’t find any posts on it, that makes sense that the knee would be sore from manipulation during surgery
 
Definitely recommend ice packs along with the ice machine as at least with me, buttox, hip, thigh and knee area have some swelling that need attention! :ice:
 
Time is going fast and slow at the same time if that makes sense. I am still in disbelief that at this time in 5 days I’ll have a new hip!!
I’ve gotten a lot organized in the past few days - I bought the Ossur Cold Rush ice machine, a 4” foam cushion and a raised toilet seat. Red Cross lent me the toilet safety frame, 2 wheeled walker and crutches. I ordered a hip kit and a pillow for between the legs from Amazon, it should be arriving on Tuesday. The hospital bed that I’ll be renting is being delivered on Monday. I have my Covid test tomorrow and then I have to isolate from then until surgery. I’ve done a bunch of meal prep and frozen things to make it easier for everyone while I’m recovering. I’m getting nervous too but being prepared is helping ease my anxiety.
My latest thing to stress about is manoeuvring the stairs - the physio assured me that they would teach me how to go up and down stairs using crutches; but I just can’t get my head around how I could do that safely. I am such a clutz and I just feel like crutches are an accident waiting to happen. I’m most nervous about going downstairs, since I’ll have to step down using the op leg, while also managing the crutch and using the railing. Seems like too many variables to me! I found a video last night on YouTube of using the walker to go up/down stairs and that seemed safer to me. What aids did you all use on the stairs? I’ll also ask physio about it after I’ve had the surgery and see what they suggest.
Also, some good news (sorry for tmi) my period came early and will wrap up before the surgery so I’m very relieved about that!!
 
@HipMom143 One of the "tests" you will take before leaving the hospital is going up and down stairs. It is very safe with crutches. I found it much easier than with a walker - but I didn't leave the hospital on a walker post either THR.
 
Sounds like your doing great preparing! I might add that if your gonna do any cooking or preparing post OP I’d put any necessities up higher so u can easily access them, like pots or pans, dishes that you use allll the time! The only thing I came home with is crutches! For stairs, I found crutches much better then walker, but as far as getting out of recliner or bed to make a quick trip to bathroom or kitchen, that the walker was much better!

For now it’s hurry up and wait, but soon you’ll feel sooo much better my friend! Hang in there

@HipMom143
 
Thanks @Jaycey and @Humbleservant I went over the info from physio again and remembered she had mentioned that I would only be using one crutch plus the railing for the stairs. I was imagining using both crutches like people who are non-weight bearing do but realized I’ll probably be going up/down stairs very similar to how I do now, which is toddler style. Physio did assure me that they would show me how before I got discharged.
Also thanks for the tip about reorganizing things to make them easier to reach post-op. I did this for my toiletries and clothing already. I’ll tackle the kitchen next!
 
@HipMom143 how you doing? Tomorrow’s the day right? Your gonna do great and soon on the way to recovery!!!! I’ll be looking for your post on the other side!!!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom