THR RTHR recovery thread - posterior approach

Good morning! Even with surgery pain slipping in, my sleep has been amazing! I am setting my alarm for meds at 12 and 4 Am, and I still wake up refreshed at 7 am. Obviously , I didn’t realize the extent my sleep had been impacted.

Another question, what position is best once you wake up and are out of bed?

I so appreciate this forum!
 
I have a question about blood pressure. i started having high blood pressure several years ago and my bottom number has ranged between 80 and 100 regardless of meds. Since surgery my blood pressure has been around 110/70, even when taken before meds. I’m wondering if my pain influenced my blood pressure?
 
Hi Lucy, I’d advise you talk to your Primary for answers you can count on, or your OS at your first post op. In doing a quick online search I’ve read twice that acute pain ramps up the sympathetic nervous system and raises blood pressure.

It sounds like you’re sleeping well. Thats a good thIng. :sleeep:
I hope you have a lovely weekend. Stay cool in the heat!
@Lucy4
 
Pain, the stress of facing surgery and lack of mobility - all these could impact your BP. The good news is you are on the other side of surgery with the added benefit of lower BP.
 
My PCP commented that I looked 10 years younger after my THR. I replied, “Well, it helps when you’re not in pain all the time.” Let’s hope lower BP is just icing on the cake with your surgery but keep an eye on it with your doc just in case. Blessings for continued good healing and comfort. ❤
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, definitely checking with primary doc when I see him. I’d never change meds based on responses. I was just curious as to others experiences with this as my lower number has been a stubborn thing to change!
 
I figured so. Just speaking from experience. I wish my BP had stayed where it was post op. Sadly, no. Funny thing I had happen was while I was in the hospital for my THR, my blood sugars were pretty much perfect without any diabetic meds. Go figure. :what: That didn’t last either. Big sigh. I guess it just goes to show how much a surgery in one place can affect the whole body. Enjoy your weekend. ❤️
 
@Lucy4. Regarding your question of best position. I guess that depends where you are most comfortable and able to ice and elevate. My favorite location was the recliner because it enabled me to elevate, have pillows around for comfort and ice easily. I also had a table set up next to it for all necessities like my medications, kleenex, phone, book, magazine and of course something to drink since staying hydrated is also important. The staying hydrated also ensured that I would be up and walking to the bathroom regularly so there came my movement as I would take the long way around and back. I also slept in it for over a week because it was the easiest for me and comfortable.
 
Hi @Lucy4 ! My BP dropped dramatically either during or immediately post-op first hip. I was seeing 90's over 60's :shocked: It was high summer, pretty warm in the room where I did all my recovering, and I still wore a sweater. My cardiologist took me off the BP med, and when I was put back on it nearly a year (I think?) after, it was half dose for a year or more. Then back up. None of the cardiac ablation, second hip, nor hernia surgery dropped the BP. Sigh. I say call the doctor, but enjoy it while you have it!:heehee:
 
It’s now been 1 week since surgery. I’m not where I thought I’d be now, but I’m content with where I am. I have finally realized this is a marathon not a sprint, that I really do need to walk every hour and to slowly try less tramadol.

Walking every hour (5-10 min w/walker) has made me way less stiff and my gait better. I ice after and am drinking more water.

I tried to skip a dose of tramadol and realized that was not a brilliant move for me. Today, I took 1/2 a dose of tramadol mid day and that seems to be working as well as a full dose. Probably because I’m walking regularly and icing like a boss.

Until today, sleeping was easy, but I woke up today with stiffness and back pain. Not sure why.... I’m not allowed to side sleep at all until 4 weeks.

Good news, I’m ready to transition to a cane! I’m looking for a fun one on Amazon. ‍♀️ I had thought my goal was to walk unaided. I’ve realized my real goal is to heal so I can live the life I want to, regardless of each stage length.

Maybe, I’m getting a little smarter thanks to this great forum!
 
I’m not where I thought I’d be now, but I’m content with where I am.
At only one week post op - please stop pushing. This recovery can take up to one year or more. Let that hip heal and don't push the goals. Read the recovery guidelines again. Patience my friend!
 
The recovery guidelines and forum admin updates are what helped me let go of my pre-op assumptions. I’m totally happy where I am now. It gives me peace of mind to let go of my preconceived ideas and take each day as it comes.
 
The recovery guidelines and forum admin updates are what helped me let go of my pre-op assumptions. I’m totally happy where I am now. It gives me peace of mind to let go of my preconceived ideas and take each day as it comes.

Music to our ears, Lucy! It really takes the pressure off to just let your body do it’s thing. Give yourself the TLC you deserve, you’ve been through a lot.
All the best to you, :SUNsmile:
 
The ability to live our lives without the constant pain and limitations is the goal and makes all this worth it. It takes time but then suddenly you find you never even think of your hip anymore. Check out the hurrycanes - they do provide extra stability. I have an assortment of canes but this one I trusted the most and therefore used the most. Also, as you transition to the cane, do not hide the walker as you might want to depend on it and have it handy for in the middle of the night bathroom breaks when we tend to be a bit foggy and early in the AM or in the evening for extra support. Again, this is not for forever but for a while to make sure all is well. My mantra was better safe than sorry as I did not want to have any issues that would slow my progress. Sending wishes for a peaceful night.
 
I have a question. I’m about 10 days postop and the last day or so I’ve started having knee pain on my operative side. It’s sharp and then throbbing and then fades only to start again. I’ve been icing the knee regularly but not sure if this is normal. I seem to remember reading about this and it’s part of the healing process

Any suggestions?
 
Hello Lucy.
Yes, sadly it’s normal. Depending upon approach the knee is often manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. I dealt with discomfort in the knee area also with bruising showing up a couple weeks post op! The best suggestion is ice / elevation. If it’s uncomfortable to elevate, just ice. Continue to ice wherever it hurts right along with your hip. It will slowly ease.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening.:)
@Lucy4
 
Hi @Lucy4
Many hippy members complain about post op knee pain.
Yes, :ice: is the recommended therapy and even though I didn't have this particular hiccup, it appears to be a common complaint.
Make sure you stay with your assistive device so you can baby that leg.

Healing hugs coming your way.:console2:
 
Thank you for the reassurance! It seems to happen when I lay down mainly. Ice is my bestest friend . I love using the crutch. It’s a more natural walk for me and I’m in no hurry to move on!

I appreciate the quick response!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom