THR RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis

Now you're in the game! :yes!: Hopefully the gel pack provides much more relief than the peas, plus I heard they get soggy and smelly after a few uses. :sick:
Happy Icing! :ice:
@Psikey
 
Impressed with it so far, especially while it's on as leg goes numb'Ish without burning skin.

Also, effects last for a while after too. Using 3 time/day.

The Gel ones don't turn solid, more like a slush so really comfy to wrap around the painful lump, and has a plush furry surface material that faces skin.
 
Last edited:
I managed to drive 50 mile today (normally only manage 5 or so) without bruised hip looking volcano like.

Wife had a small curvy, neck type memory foam pillow she doesn't use, so I used that to sit on in car and much better, without my head hitting car roof. The slight bucket type seats are a no-no otherwise, pressing right into wound/bruise area.
 
8wk & 1 day and finally getting more sleep nights & less restless leg (maybe the Iron tablets helped).

Three nights in a row now with over 6hrs sleep.

Only problem for me at moment is the large lump which looks to be coming to a point/head and hoping it doesn't burst like a boil would or its a trip to A&E.

Seeing surgeon again sooner next Wednesday to check out lump, but he said (and GP said) if it does burst through I need to go to A&E.

Since the lump got larger couple week ago I get more frequent shooting pains in the knee, and restricted my range of movement. I could put my own sock on weeks 4-5 but not now at week 8 due to the lump.

They did say I have strong/large thigh muscles so maybe that led to extra blood loss leading to the lump. Three in my extended family have had hip replacement (60-80 age range) and none had such a large lump or extended healing time. They were all back to say 85% functionality by week 6.
 
Hi @Psikey - good to hear you've got the medics involved. Be interesting to hear how the 'volcano' develops or if it subsides. Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.
 
Don't think volcano is going to stay dormant until I see Surgeon on Wednesday! Looking meaner/weird each day!

Big hard lump all around stitched area, but now coming to two shiny points.

20230921_114855.jpg



UPDATE

Sent Surgeon updated photo above, and they brought my appointment earlier to Monday and said if it does 'pop' put a sterile bandage on it and should be no need to go to A&E until I visit him on the Monday. That's a relief as it can be a 6hr wait in NHS A&E with current demands!
 
Last edited:
Well, it erupted (weeped) but a clear fluid which I think is a good discharge, not infected.

Covered now at nearly week 9 ready for appointment on Monday.

All this time with no discharge and then this all these weeks later.

[Bonesmart.org] RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis
 
Have a good weekend and let us know what happens at your appointment on Monday. Best wishes.
 
Well, it looks like a have a small amount of purulent (infected) discharge. This much in 24hrs, just put new dressing on.

[Bonesmart.org] RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis


Expect I will need antibiotics come appointment on Monday.

Burning/itchy stopping me sleeping
 
Better exudate today, looks more like Serous now which is healthy healing fluid.

See what they say tomorrow.

[Bonesmart.org] RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis
 
The leakage, not nice so only click if really interested

The clear leakage [Bonesmart.org] RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis
 
So, just seen surgeon and he can't understand why only started happening after 8 weeks.

Says it could just be an infection at stitch level but concerned if at deep, hip level, coming out, but I said no hip issues other than this wound/weepage.

Having bloods done tomorrow, follow up next Monday and sent home with some ABiotics and a load of sterile wipes & self adhesive dressings.
 
I hope this turns out to be a minimal issue for you. I am glad the doctor prescribed antibiotics to help treat it. Try to get rest today.
 
Sorry to hear that this issue hasn't resolved itself yet. At least now it's being monitored by your medical team and appropriate action is being taken. Hopefully it will quickly improve once the antibiotics start to work.
 
So, Surgeon isn't sure what the problem is, but my own reading/investigation makes me think my original idea was correct, and a few cases documented on line with similar.

As far as walking, mobility, range of movement I've been great from around week 2 with little pain in joint area, just a few joint aches & knee pains, and been able to put my own shoes & socks on from about week 5 and at week 9 now can cut my toenails again.

The problem has been this large lump then followed by the the infected skin area with it then popping and drainage.

This was large lump that formed which I thought was a Seroma, not Hematoma, about size of half a grapefruit.

[Bonesmart.org] RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis


This is a diagram of a Seroma post operation

1695983248483.jpeg


That never really went down, I mentioned about drainage of the lump but Surgeon said they don't like to go back in after stitching and risk infection and normal, and body will resolve over time, like a bruise.

Pressure and hardness in area was rock solid.

As a reminder, this then developed this angry looking area on the top of this lump

[Bonesmart.org] RTHR at 56 due Avascular Necrosis


Then it popped with mild drainage of a clear/yellow/watery fluid which I'm sure is called Serous Fluid and is a natural, healthy part of healing and basically plasma, proteins, sugars.

I've been having to put on dressings about 3 times per day to capture this drainage and protect the area, and had some fluid leak out between bandage changes.

So, no real leakage over night, changed the dressing again this morning and felt up for a fast long walk with wife & dog.

Was all going great on a lovely sunny morning and then felt wet down side of my leg and Boom!!!

Flooded out with this Serous fluid and I'm sure now this is the big lump that has just pumped out the fluid with the movement of the leg. The hard area now seems softer, more mushy, less taught with most of lump gone so hopefully its sorting itself by just self draining.

20230929_101636.jpg


Posting all this as may help others who may have similar now or in the future. Half-way through anti-biotics though I don't think needed as no sign of infection in the fluid, and another follow-up with Surgeon on Monday.
 
Last edited:
@Psikey All a bit unnerving I am sure. Did you let your surgeon know about the larger lump and this drainage. Fingers crossed you are right about it being Seroma.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom