TKR Rockgirl4's Recovery---already full of surprises.

Everything in this recovery takes time. :hairpulling:
 
@Jockette and @luvcats I forgot to comment on the boots. They are DEFINITELY not very cushioned. It does feel like my feet and lower legs are taking a pounding, so I try not to wear them for >1-2 hrs. I wore them to church today and HAD to take them on as soon as I got home. I guess, like everything else, it's just going to take time.

Just to jump in on the boot discussion. I pulled out my boots last week since it was chilly and my scar area still won't tolerate tights or skinny pants. Even though my boots are flat and very comfortable, Ms. Knee was NOT thrilled and I was swollen when I got home. So we're easing into boots.:spin:
 
OMG!!! :holysheep:
Your house sounds like a complete nightmare!! I can't imagine how horrible that is to live with. I know both heat and AC are utterly necessary in MO. My inlaws live there. I often wonder what builders and architects are thinking when they design things. The house we are living in has a very odd master bedroom. It is long and skinny and anywhere you put the bed would be awkward. It is the furthest room from the compressor, it has 2 west facing widows that get the full unobstructed afternoon sun, and it is located over the uninsulated garage. So it is always the warmest or coldest room in the house. And that is why our bedroom is a smaller room on the shady side of the house! What were they thinking when they laid it out that way?

I figured I would try getting bed warm first with the electric blanket and see if I can sleep ok with extra blankets on top, knowing I would at least fall asleep warm.
This seems like a good idea to try. If you think back to the days of warming pans and hot bricks in bed, that's what people did in the days before central heating. If you can get good and warm when going to sleep the right arrangements of blankets will hold in the heat over night.

You might consider adding some gel insoles to your boots if there is space.
I gave up wearing proper 'girl shoes' years ago. I think I have one pair of flats for emergencies, like a funeral. My current 'dressy' shoes consist of a pair of TEVA sandals. Not very dressy. Mostly my solution has been to wear longer skirts and no one notices what's on my feet.
 
It's suddenly very cold here and as we added another blanket to our bed last night I thought of you. How are you getting on in your cold house. Did you find a solution for your boots?
 
Hi @luvcats . Thanks for thinking of me. :hi: I haven't found a solution to the boot problem, so I've just been extra choosy when I wear them. If I plan ahead and know Sundays are a likely possibility, I'm careful to avoid them except for maybe an hour or two mid-week. For now, that's just the way it needs to be.

As for the cold, the knee did better without the electric blanket, but it wasn't a solid solution. I'm being more careful about icing and length of time standing in one spot. That seems to be the major culprit with swelling. I'm also breaking out the ice machine again, mostly for the compression wrap. I think that was helping much more than I thought. I also added Celebrex back in for a week to see if there was a drastic improvement----and there WAS!!! I wanted to try before my next checkup on the 21st so I could have an honest conversation with my surgeon about continuing to take it through the worst of the winter months AND the move. My other knee has good and bad days, so the Celebrex is justified....I just wish the TKR knee didn't need any help at all.:nah:I know that's not a failure, but sometimes it feels like it.

As for the house, we're just chugging along until January. We had our electrical walk-thru last Monday, and this past week was electrical installation and wiring for the light fixtures. Siding should go on this week. The best guess date for closing is "late January" because we're having so much of the basement built out. It's like adding another 1/2 of a house.:bored: That's ok----we knew it might be a full year from start to finish, and we DID pick the hardest lot to build on across 3 different subdivisions. :wink:That part is on us, but wow---the view will be to die for.:yahoo:

How are things going with you?!
 
I'm sorry the boots haven't worked out. Maybe next year. I assume you tried a gel insole for the shock absorbing?

I have a hyper inflammation response too, so I know where you're coming from although my knees have been surprisingly cooperative in that way. But I have my own challenges making recovery slow. We just have to know we are extra special and deal with it. lol :skep:

An amazing view is worth waiting for, even though I'm certain right now it seems utterly endless.
When we lived in Colorado we lived on the side of Cheyenne Mountain. From the front rooms we had an amazing view of the mountain standing over us. From the back we looked out over the city and a big unbuildable wild area. It was amazing and something I would stop and appreciate every day.

Life here is good. 27 days until Disney! How could it not be?
 
Just a random Thanksgiving thought for being halfway through my 12-month TKR journey.....it's taken a long time to get to where I am today, and I am very grateful. My other knee has bothered me considerably the last week, which has made me even MORE thankful for my right TKR......then I went and read another thread which made me super angry......I won't get specific, but for all those out there trying and struggling (whether you're 2 days post-op or 9 months post-pop), don't let anyone blame YOU for the length of your recovery!!!! :console2:

We are not to blame for continued pain and swelling. We are not to blame for a knee that won't bend or straighten yet. We are not to blame for struggling to sleep through the night without a pain pill, ice pack, elevation, or 10 pillows.

Lastly, our ATTITUDE did not make this journey longer. :hissy: Some times things just happen, and those things are often completely out of our control. So don't let anyone, especially someone who's post-op journey is a "piece of cake" or "walk in the park" make you feel guilty for not having a miraculous recovery.

Sometimes it really is just dumb luck that dictates recovery...so last but not least, I'm SOOOO thankful I'm better off today than I was 6.5 months ago, and that's all that really matters. :)
 
I haven't found a solution to the boot problem,
Quite often, people find that they have to buy new shoes after surgery, because the tread pattern they had worn previously is not right for the knee after surgery. If nothing else works for your knee, you may have to buy a new pair of boots.
 
@Celle These ARE the new boots, bought at the 4 month post-op mark. :heehee:It's the stiffness of the boot at the ankle, plus the lack of cushion that are the main problems. I'm pretty sure I was asking too much of my leg too soon. I decided to wear them maybe once a week for 1-2 hrs, and see what happens. I bet each month brings subtle improvement. Too bad we usually want everything NOW, not later. :loll:
 
@Celle These ARE the new boots, bought at the 4 month post-op mark. :heehee:
Oh, I'm sorry, but I didn't realise that.

I think wearing the boots for a short while only is a wise decision.

Is there anything you can do to soften the leather at the ankles?
 
@Celle That's a really good idea about doing something to make the leather more flexible. I'm sure there's something that can be done!!! Thanks for the idea. I'd kind of just hid them in the closet over the holiday. :loll:

I think I had all of these grand ideas to go back to normal shoes/boots/etc WAY too soon. Again, a lesson in patience.:snork:
 
I had my real leather walking sneakers “stretched” by a shoe repair shop. White ones were there 3 days, and came out so so. The black ones were there about 7 days because I couldn’t get back sooner, and he left them on the stretching rack the whole time, and they came out much better. About $10 US per pair.
 
9 MONTH UPDATE

It's been a long time since I updated my recovery thread, but these last 3-4 weeks have provided a great deal of insight....

For background, we spent half of January and the first half of February planning to move into our new home. Some of you may remember it took all of last year to engineer the slope and then build, but was well worth it. We moved over the Valentine's weekend. This required more standing, walking, and stair climbing than I expected. My insights are as follows:

1) The good----The TKR knee is STRONG!!! I was shocked how well it held up, even logging 18,000-20,000 steps a day according to my new FitBit. The only day I was forced to sit was after 3 hard days of 20,000+ steps. I was thrilled to know what this knee can handle.

2) Also good--- my other bad knee held up much better than expected. It acted up in late January when we first began heavy packing, and I KNOW I tore a meniscus one evening. I had lots of pain for 3-4 days and took it easy. Thankfully I've had this exact experience 6-7 times in 20+ yrs, so I knew it was just another meniscus tear, and not to panic. My husband was worried, but he knows we're not doing ANYTHING to that knee until I replace it. If this means sooner than later, so be it....but surprisingly it hasn't bothered me much the last 2 weeks. I'm in complete shock and waiting for the bottom to fall out, as it usually did with the other TKR knee.

3) The bad--Kind of!!! The swelling in my TKR knee is impeding my bend big-time. I can only go down stairs normally first thing in the morning, and that's not a guarantee each day. I haven't even tried to ride my stationary bike the last 2 wks, as I'm afraid the forcing of the bend will inflame things further.

4) My brain won't stop wondering if I've lost what bend I had (which I wasn't completely satisfied with). I need to get back to stretching/strengthening my lower back, and I need a certain amount of bend to do that (based on my personal medical history and doing my "usual " stuff to stay flexible and keep my hips aligned). I keep telling myself I just need a couple of days to elevate and ice all day, and the swelling will go down enough to ride my bike again.

5) Lastly---I've learned I can now walk, stand, and go up stairs frequently---MUCH more than I expected even 2 months ago. I'm pretty fast too. :) So do I even NEED the bend----or do I just WANT it because of exercising!!! It's a rhetorical question for myself to answer....but I do miss riding my bike as a warm up and for cardio.

((BIG SIGH!!!!))

Time will tell once we're done cleaning the other house and the new one is finally unpacked. I think a week of R and R will give me more insight into the reality of what this knee will be like in the end. It sure would be nice to see the future, wouldn't it??!!

For anyone who read this, thanks for letting me vent and think out loud.
 
:) Wow what a great post and great encouragement for us following slowly up behind you.
Moving is pretty tough on good non operated knees so your new knee has behaved really well.
I'm sure with time you will be back cycling and your bend will improve in time although you seem to be doing great.:yes!:
 
@Rockgirl4 What a great report! I'm right there with you on moving-we just moved into our new home a few weeks ago. The packing, moving and unpacking were very hard on my leg where the posts are, but the knee itself basically sailed through it all with just some small pains and irritation from the swollen tissues. We had to pretty much move twice as we had a two month gap between the time we sold our old home and the time this house was finished being built, so stayed in a rental for the two months.

We chose a home all on one level as we decided stairs are difficult for me now, and in later years may be impossible. You're a lot younger than me so a two story is a much better idea for you and your knee, especially since you're doing so well.

You're still at only 9 months, which means you still have some healing left to do. Hopefully, the swelling will subside soon and you can go back to riding that bike. I'm glad you can do stairs-I still have to take them like a toddler so it's great that you can pretty much walk them like an adult. It's hard to be patient at 9 months out, but it still takes a little to get through the end stages when you think you should be back to your old self and are rarin' to go.

Enjoy that new house-I know I am loving our new house and am busy turning it into a home, when my leg behaves that is. Good luck!
 
How exciting to be in your new house!!!
It's wonderful how well the new knee has held up and blessing that your old knee has been more or less cooperative.

I'm actually a little relieved to know that even at 9 months your new knee gave you just a bit of sass after a super busy week. I'm just hitting 6 months and my knee swells a bit ever time I increase my exercise. It is very helpful to know that this is normal.

Lovely to hear from you!
 
@luvcats Thanks so much, and I definitely find myself constantly surprised. Today and yesterday involved cleaning a lot of windows, which meant standing in one place a lot. THAT has affected my pain and swelling more today than anything over the last few weeks. Standing in one place has always been more troublesome, so I guess more of the same shouldn't surprise me.:heehee: This has nothing to do with YOUR comment, luvcafts, but I don't think I clearly stated my frustration with the ongoing swelling well enough....:boohoo:Yes, my knee is strong and doesn't pain me much, but the bend is NOT great. Barely past 95 if I had to guess my flexion. It hangs me up getting out of a car, plus descending stairs can ONLY be one at a time unless I've just gotten out of bed in the morning. After getting my son off to school, doing a little laundry and emptying the dishwasher, it's back to to descending one step at a time. So yeah-- I AM worried I'm worse off with bending than last Autumn, but time will tell right??!! I WANT to ride my bike more, and I NEED to get back to my lower back exercises/stretches so I guess that's why I care so much. Thanks for the thoughts, and it's good to hear from you too. :) :friends:
 
I am sorry to hear about the bend. I hope that's just part of your excessive inflammation response and when the moving finishes and you can be on an easier schedule that might all improve. As you say, time will tell. When do you see the doctor next? I'm sure s/he will have some insight.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom