Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right total knee replacement 4/29/2022

physiotherapy had added body weight squats,
Squats are really not a good idea so early in your recovery. They put too much stress on a healing knee and will cause increased inflammation, swelling, and pain. I know PTs love them, but they are not in your best interest while your knee is trying to heal from the trauma of the surgery.

You are not even a month post-op yet and squats at this point can set your recovery back.
 
physiotherapy had added body weight squats, mini-lunges on the stairs, and the balance board.
These are pretty bad for a healing, baby knee like yours. If you have increased pain and swelling back off of them for about a month until your knee is healed more.
 
Today is the 6 week birthday for my new knee. I went for my 6th week visit with the surgeon yesterday and everything went well. I'm at 119 degrees flexion. I have been having problems with annoying spasms. The day is fine for me, but often, just as a I drift from conscious to unconscious it will spasm at the hamstring side of my knee. When it does happen it'll happen maybe a half dozen times in a row.

I'm not getting indicators that I'm overdoing it during the day, but I'm dialing back some of my exercise. My doctor and my PT both mentioned a muscle relaxer before bed may help.
 
I agree with cutting back some activity and also trying a muscle relaxer.

@Layla recommends magnesium, which is helpful for so many things.
 
My doctor and my PT both mentioned a muscle relaxer before bed may help.
I’m sorry you’re dealing with this nuisance of a discomfort.
A muscle relaxer may help, but if you‘d like to research a more natural remedy, there is Magnesium. Many members have had success with it.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead. My mom swears by this remedy.

Best of luck to you as you continue your healing journey!
 
I also had those spasms right at the falling asleep time. My doctor recommended using heat on my involved muscles, not my knee, before bed. This seemed to help some.
 
A muscle relaxer may help, but if you‘d like to research a more natural remedy, there is Magnesium. Many members have had success with it.
Layla! Thank you, I will try it. I am not against medications, but am just as happy to avoid them.
 
After three nights of taking hours to fall asleep & only sleeping for four or five, I’m buying Magnesium today.
Marie
 
Week 7 update: Quinine seems to have conquered my night time muscle spams.

I'm at 121 degrees assisted flexion, 116 without. My physiotherapist said that ordinarily she'd advise stopping physiotherapy at this point, but if I'd like, I could continue since I expect to push myself much further than most of her patients.

I'll continue to go for one day of physio every week for a while, plus at home physio, as well as all the exercise I get at the gym.
 
A muscle relaxer may help, but if you‘d like to research a more natural remedy, there is Magnesium. Many members have had success with it.
Layla! Thank you, I will try it. I am not against medications, but am just as happy to avoid them.
My PT recommended doing a few minutes of gentle stretching before bed to avoid cramps and that helped me.
 
14 weeks! My knee more or less feels like ‘my knee’, still a bit tight when it’s been still but I’m near 130 degrees of flexion. I’ve been cleared for everything, and keep in touch with my PT.
 
You're doing great! Keep up the good work! :flwrysmile:
 
My recovery has been great, I can't be happier with my TKR. I am curious about something though. I understand that weight bearing past 130 degrees or so is not recommended because the weight will be born at a point past where the plastic is, so butt to calf squats with weights are a thing of the past.

How about increasing my ability to kneel? I would like to be able to kneel in yoga so that my butt contacts my heels. I'm a long way off from this. Kneeling is mostly not uncomfortable to me, at least on a decent yoga mat.

Is there any actual advice against kneeling and increasing the depth of my kneel other than it's just plain uncomfortable for most people post TKR?
 
Hello and welcome back after several months. It is great you're doing so well! As far as kneeling goes, I would advise you ask your surgeon or a member of his care team since I am sure surgeon's have differing opinions on kneeling, just as they do on many topics. I'd be concerned about the added stress especially if you're finding it uncomfortable, so please get a nod from your surgeon before attempting to increase the depth of your kneel.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd like us to change your thread title to reflect your question, please let us know and we'll be happy to do so.
A great week to you!
@substrate
 
How about increasing my ability to kneel? I would like to be able to kneel in yoga so that my butt contacts my heels. I'm a long way off from this. Kneeling is mostly not uncomfortable to me, at least on a decent yoga mat.
I am 4 months post my pkr and I can kneel for 5- 10 minutes in the 4 point kneeling pose for cat stretch exercises for my bad back. I can kneel back on my bottom in a sort of child's pose but am very gentle with that and don't sit back fully.
I use a thin but supportive padded pilates knee cushion under both knees for balance. My kneeling ability is gradually improving and I think that is partly due to the knee being stronger but also the numb patch reducing and feeling less odd.
I have been told I am OK to kneel by my surgeon and agree with @Layla that it would be good to get clearance from your surgeon. From what I have read kneeling is one of the things people find most difficult post TKR/ PKR but more people can actually kneel if they are given permission/ encouragement.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom