Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right TKR, six months post op

That's the magic of the forum! We're happy you joined us. :)
Nope, you're not going crazy, Marytee. Only recovering from major surgery. Get through the next few months with a focus on how much better this Summer will be over your last. You'll have two new knees and that unrelenting pain of a deteriorating joint, GONE! I hope you have a lovely day! :SUNsmile:
@Marytee
 
When you asked how I've been here without you
I'd like to say I've been fine and I do
But we both know the truth is hard to come by
And if I told the truth that's not quite true
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone
Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Now the face that I see in my mirror
More and more is a stranger to me
More and more I can see there's a danger
In becoming what I never thought I'd be
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone
Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone
But sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone
 
What's today...a diamond, or a stone?
 
M... You are not alone in how you feel. This is a very tough surgery physically and mentally. Things will get better, it just takes more time than we all comprehended. Several things helped me. Meditation twice a day. It was useful in breaking the loop of negative thoughts... and I had plenty. Still do, but it's better. I adopted a cat. I don't like cats. Now I love cats. Charlie has been my constant companion and lets me know he needs stuff too. Food, pets and conversation. It took a lot of pain and a bum knee to find out something new about myself. You're going to be happy again when this is in the rearview mirror. Hope you're feeling better.
 
Yes, I readily identify with you - it does mean a lot to have Bonesmart friends who understand what you are going through and know how important it is to cheer each other along. I recall so vividly what that meant to me when I encountered Bonesmart, too.

Yes, the other friends are important part of the fabric of your life, but at this moment in time, Bonesmart friends can be ones you need to lean on - a crutch - until you can rejoin your other friends. Keep tabs with them and fill them in a bit, but the oh, Lord, I didn't sleep well last night because of pain type stuff - or I'm so frustrated not getting something I could have used that is up or down stairs... these hiccups your long term friends may not identify with. Sadly there's not much your Bonesmart friends can actually do to get you passed these monumental hurdles that are now in your life, but we do understand them as hurdles and can commiserate and cheer you on with background from our own sidelined episodes. :yay:

Yes - it does get better. Good Lord's putting a lesson of patience before you whether you asked for it or not.

Find a flower's fragrance or a sweet melody that you might easily have run past in earlier times and appreciate the uplift they offer.

Cheers
 
I’m 6 months out from my left knee an 7 weeks out from my right knee. I’m incredibly sad. I was a PE teacher for 42 years and I just retired and was slammed with two tkr’s. My knees are making good progress thru PT and icing and elevating…but concerns are more mental. I feel lost. This is not what I thought retirement would be. The highlight of my week is PT. I feel useless. I feel very alone. I have friends, I have family I have hobbies, I am not alone and there’s no legit reason for me to feel like this. Yes I exercise. Yes I practice self care. Yes I take an antidepressant . Yes my doctors all know how I feel. I’m doing everything right and still feel wrong. I just didn’t see my retirement would be like this. I feel lost.
Something that helps me a lot is finding purposeful activities and work that provides a service to others (not just pastimes to pass the time). I volunteer with a program to complete tax returns for people with low and moderate incomes - for free. (In Canada, filing a tax return is needed to access a range of benefits.) I feel useful and connected! As a former PE teacher, you have such a huge range of skills to offer in community outreach, if that appeals to you. Absolutely feel for you during this transition!
 
You are doing great -yes this group helps me realize it’s ok to take a nap and slow down some. I have wanted my knee to get better faster . Understanding that I have to give it time and some days are better than others . Thanks for sharing your journey -
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Hopefully making progress that's pleasing to you.
Let us know next time you're the forum. Until we hear from you again...all the best!
@Marytee
 
I have almost no pain in my knee. Some stiffness after resting. However, on the INSIDE of my leg but outside of my knee, (not the IT band), it feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife. Almost only when I’m laying down. Can someone please make me feel ok?
 
Hello @Marytee,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Pains like you are having, along with knee stiffness, can come at various times throughout recovery. That’s why we (and probably your surgeon) told you that full recovery can take up to a year or even more. What you’re describing sounds like a tightening within your soft tissue. I couldn’t tell from your description exactly where the sharp pain is located, but I’m guessing it’s in the quad muscles.

If it continues, I suggest you locate a therapist who is trained in pressure point therapy for a diagnosis. You will want to look for someone with Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) after their name, as those are the folks best able to figure out and resolve soft tissue problems. Since the pain you are experiencing is primarily when you are lying down, the likelihood of it being something within the joint itself is quite small. Be sure and take something (Tylenol is fine) for any pain you have like this that bothers you to keep inflammation from building.
 
My knee does not hurt. But the INSIDE of my leg by my knee has a burning pain (mostly when I lay down ). Can anyone help me with this? Again, it’s not the knee itself. It’s the area to the inside of my leg near my knee. Please help me. Is this normal? I did not have it with my left tkr.
 
Is it a new pain or something you have had since surgery? If it is new can you think of anything that triggered it?
Are you still icing?
 
Hello Marytee,
I am sorry you're struggling with pain. We may be able to advise further with a bit more information. EalingGran posted some good questions above for starters. Please share more info if you're able.
Hope to hear from you soon!

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@Marytee
 
This is where the pain is. To the left of the knee. But not on the knee.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Right TKR, six months post op
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 42
Hi Mary,
Without much information to go on aside from a description of the pain, the location and a photo it's difficult to advise. If you've ramped up activity lately, either in general, or in PT, it may be related to that, especially if it's a new pain and you're able to trace it to some type of activity.

My best advice is to ice, rest and use OTC meds as needed. If it increases in intensity, or isn't improving after you rest and ice for a few days, consider contacting your OS's office and let a member of the care team advise. Wishing you comfort and relief.
@Marytee
 
That sounds like pes-anserine-and-mpfl-pain. I had it for a couple of years and the OS sent me to PT for ultrasound on that area. No exercises, just the ultrasound treatment. After about 6 treatments, the pain was gone. You might ask about this.
 
I just came across this post. Marytee you describe my feelings to a T. I had my first TKR on March 20,2024 (R) and my left TKR on L on June 26, 2024. I am also retiring after 23 years as an oncology RN. Why I thought this was a good idea. I do not have a clue.

I am also very sad. My clinical depression has reared its ugly head after being well managed for over 20 years. I miss seeing my work colleagues. None of my friends as well as my husband are not retired.

I never developed any hobbies. I never thought I would get old enough to retired. I am struggling and have severe cabin fever.
 
Back
Top Bottom