Right Partial Knee Replacement at 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my final appointment with surgeon today. He is using an oxford unicompartmental knee.

I have to be at the hospital at 6:30am on Monday for registration. Surgery scheduled for 8:30am.

The Dr. talked about the benefits ofstayng overnight over same-day discharge. If I stay overnight I would have physical therapy shortly after surgery, later that night & the next morning before being discharged. I am seriously considering it.

I will start a post-op thread this weekend so I can keep you informed of my progress.
 
I went home same day. After hearing stories of nurses waking folks up and not properly elevating knees and holding psin meds hostage, I'm glad I did outpatient. I had total control over my positioning, sleep and meds. So I'm a fan of avoiding hospital stays if you're in otherwise good health. I went to outpatient PT on day 3. The nurses at the surgery center showed me how to stand, walk w a Walker and sit to go potty (kick out the leg!)
 
Thanks @Jennszoo, I will see how I feel that afternoon before I decide if I will stay overnight.

It is well known that you don't get rest when you are in the hosiptal.
 
My same day versus overnight was decided after surgery. I stayed overnight. I had issues with nausea & vomiting and my nurses were great. They did wake me up a lot for vital signs, checking my IV, meds, etc. I felt a bit safer being there overnight, though.
The next morning I felt great, had PT, ate breakfast & was discharged.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just got home from my last day of work for awhile.

I need to take my mom to her Cardiologist appts tomorrow 2 hours away so we decided to stay overnight and have a little fun before my surgery on Monday. 2 of my cousins are coming this weekend so I will get some visiting in too.
 
I think it's important to stay until your pain is well controlled.
Sometimes that means staying a little longer, until the nerve block has worn off, because when it wears off you do experience additional pain.

You do need to be shown how to get out of bed and back in again, how to walk, using a walking aid, and how to negotiate stairs or steps. You don't need to learn (or do) a lot of exercises at this early stage.
 
I stayed overnight. I think I could have gone home, but I would have been a pain for my wife to deal with. That first day, I needed care, and while my wife could have done it, she has had to put up with enough over the past 2 months. I think, for me, it was the right decision to stay.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom