Guest viewing is limited

THR Right Hip THR May 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey….PROGRESS!!! This is great news, Chris. You’ll be skipping through the tulips in no time!
 
Started my pre op journey last week with a call from the hospital nurse. Saw the dentist for a new retainer, and podiatrist for a left ankle injection today. My ankle already feels better, must be the lidocaine. Tomorrow I see my cardiologist, Thursday pre op with the surgeon, followed by some pre op testing. I will be glad when the weekend arrives. :sleep:
 
Wow, that's a lot!
Hopefully you have a relaxing, peaceful weekend and you're not in too much pain.
Only two weeks to go and you'll be on the mend. :thumb:
@Pumpkin
 
The time will fly now! Those last few days can be a challenge though. I left a few things that I needed to do until the last minute to keep me occupied and head off any pre-op anxiety.

All the best :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Deni444
Just glad to have all the Dr appointments and labs testing behind me.
I have my annual eye appointment on the 19th, it has been postponed twice :sad: , hope the third time is the charm.
 
Quieter week to get ready for my THR, today is Oil Change Tuesday for my car.
Feel like I am in the Slow, Slow phase until it gets Fast, Fast the day before surgery with everything that has to wait until then.
Pre op is interesting in that they want me to drink 12 oz of Gatorade an hour before I leave for surgery. Apparently they have found that having carbs on board helps during surgery and after. OK with me I do not like being dehydrated.
 
I’ve heard that about pre-op carbs….protein too. Some doctors want you to drink an Ensure for the same reason.
 
It's interesting how those clear, high-carb drinks are gaining traction with the surgical teams.

My pre-op team gave me two bottles of an Ensure pre-surgery carbohydrate drink before my 2023 TKR -- one the drink the night before and one for the morning of surgery. I was told that patients who consume pre-surgery complex-carbohydrate endure the physical demands of the procedure much better and that the drinks help control blood sugar levels during and post surgery.


 
I've always had a protein drink between 11:30 and Midnight the day before surgery, and will again. I think my body is going to like the morning fluids.
Deb, Welcome to the 2025 hip club, I'll be checking in on your pre op journey and your post op recovery.
 
Thanks! I will be following your progress, my recovery buddy!
 
Got busy today cleaning my old Breg Ice Machine, even found the remote switch. I had set up from my knee revision in 2014. Plugged it in, it still works!! We will see for how long.
I have lots of cold packs so should be fine it it quits.
Tomorrow is shopping, eye appointment, and laundry day.

For some reason yesterday I was very anxious, my blood pressure shot up, took an additional BP med last night. and have been fine since.
 
@Pumpkin….check whatever pad(s) you have for the ice machine carefully. They tend to disintegrate over time and you may need to get a new pad. I ran into that when using my machine from my knee replacements for my shoulder. In my case, the pad separated from the vinyl portion of the pad in some places. When that happens there is a risk of freezer burn on your skin or even leaking from the pad.
 
Good luck with your appointments today! I hope you're able to make it through without too much pain.
Glad your anxiety improved, hopefully with the activity of today you're distracted enough to feel relaxed even though it will likely be tiring. You'll be happy to be back home later today. :thumb:
@Pumpkin
 
I think we all get a little anxious as we approach surgery, it's only natural. Included alongside my general pre-op exercises, was the recommendation to do some deep breathing. Apparently to get the lungs fit for surgery. I think these may also help calm anxiety a little.
 
It's interesting how those clear, high-carb drinks are gaining traction with the surgical teams.

My pre-op team gave me two bottles of an Ensure pre-surgery carbohydrate drink before my 2023 TKR -- one the drink the night before and one for the morning of surgery. I was told that patients who consume pre-surgery complex-carbohydrate endure the physical demands of the procedure much better and that the drinks help control blood sugar levels during and post surgery.
That’s interesting. After my surgery they kept offering me the Ensure drinks but no explanation as to why and as they appeared to be a sort of milkshake with added vitamins I didn’t have them as I don’t like milk shake. Pre op I wasn’t offered them but was in a lot of pain with the fracture and not able to eat anything. Maybe having them after would have been of benefit. Or maybe the type I was offered after was different.
 
@Pumpkin Good luck with surgery and just to echo what others have said that it is absolutely normal to get nervous pre any surgery. I found breathing out slowly, pausing and then breathing in calmly but not too deeply really helped me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom