THR Right hip replacement Feb 28th

Are you icing after you walk? Are you icing when it hurts? I iced for months, if it feels good do it. it's really hard for us to understand just how traumatized are muscles are and what exactly they did to us in the surgery.
 
Thanks. Yes, maybe I just need to take the ibuprofen and tylenol at night and not worry about it. Yes, ice is my friend!
 
It’s strange. I had my THR a month before you, but I still seem to get days of sheer exhaustion.
I thoroughly cleaned my house yesterday, probably for the first time since the op.
I was really pleased with myself.
Today I slept until nearly lunch time and rationed myself to small jobs, like cleaning the brass on two double beds.
Much more energised now, but it just proves that eight weeks is still early days!
 
Pain around knee that I had before hip replacement seems to be getting worse. I asked Surgeon about it at pre-op appt and he said something about maybe it was the way I was walking because of hip. I guess I assumed that it would be addressed with the hip replacement. Now I am scared that it might be a separate issue. It sometimes keeps me awake at night with that knee pain. Anyone else with this problem? I have my 6 week follow up appointment tomorrow .
 
It’s strange. I had my THR a month before you, but I still seem to get days of sheer exhaustion.
I thoroughly cleaned my house yesterday, probably for the first time since the op.
I was really pleased with myself.
Today I slept until nearly lunch time and rationed myself to small jobs, like cleaning the brass on two double beds.
Much more energised now, but it just proves that eight weeks is still early days!
Congratulations on a clean house! I have the opposite problem. I have all the energy in the world but am afraid to do much because of the pain (which always hits me several hours later). Sounds like you are listening to your body and making adjustments your activity level.
 
You are less than 2 months post op. You will have traveling aches and pains for quite some time yet. At least that's the way it's been for myself and for many others on this forum.
It's too soon to be worried about that knee, it is recovering just as you are. If it's on the same side as your new hip, then it was manhandled a bit and needs time to heal, also.
If it's on the opposite side? Then it's working harder than usual with your gait changes that come with your recovery. Soon things will smooth out and then you will get a good idea of where the knee is.
I found that icing anywhere that I had pain was beneficial.. maybe try icing that knee?
Also, have you considered buying a good, supportive walking shoe to use? If you are using older shoes from before the surgery then they most likely have an uneven wear pattern from your pre op limp.

Then there's making sure that you are practising your walk. You should try to walk with a steady "heel toe" stride, I'll post a link here for yo uto look at. Hang in there! One day you will wake up and realize you just feel better all around.
***
As for your gait, if you're limping, here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1674960108085.png
 
Thanks Cricket, I appreciate your input. Since I had the knee issue BEFORE the surgery, it doesn't seem like it would have been caused by it. During my preop appt, my surgeon said that it was probably something to do with the way I was walking (it is the knee on same side as the surgery). It has gotten worse which is what really concerns me, but I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. I will try to concentrate on proper gait in the meantime.
As for shoes, I still can't get anything on my feet except slip on shoes.....can't reach that foot yet.!!! Is that normal? I had the other hip replaced 3 years ago and I cannot remember how long it took before I could get on sneakers!
 
Ahh, reaching to tie our shoes is such a rush when it happens!! I don't recall with mine either, but thinking it was at least 3 months? I opted to have my sneakers laced loosely so I could slip into them when needed.
I do realize that your knee was painful before your surgery but am saying that the outside forces are still there as they were pre op, so I am hoping and praying that is what is giving you grief. Especially when you factor in the surgery itself and the manhandling that occurred to dislocate your hip.
But it's good to get it checked out, if only for peace of mind.
The healing is happening, maybe not as quickly as you wish, but it's happening. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi, @Rosalita , I think at some point a majority of us have expressed concerns about knee pain that gets worse or comes on after surgery. In most cases, it seems to come and go and is very much a natural part of recovery, sometimes for over a year. No two recoveries are the same, though, even for those of us with new knee pain.

Based on my experience, I wish I'd been more sceptical and cautious with PT. As in I wish I'd regained my strength and flexibility by walking and shunned PT. My knee agony only began when an aggressive young PT ignored my pained protests and injured me badly.

Be gentle with that knee!! Good luck.
 
Yesterday at my 6 week post op appointment, the PA listened to my knee concerns and decided to do xrays of my knee. Sure, it has some arthritis, but nothing outrageous for my age. The PA said it is still POSSIBLE that it could be part of hip recovery but she thinks it is more likely related to my BACK as I have had two surgeries on it in the past. I am so praying that it is not that. Anyway, she suggested PT for "gait training" (which I never heard of before). I am all in with whatever I can do to avoid seeing another back doctor. I have been carefully walking using the recommended foot pattern you sent me, Cricket. Oh, the link you sent on this doesn't seem to be working. I've been going by the little drawing you sent.
 
Your new gait could indeed be causing discomfort in many areas. It's great if you can get gait training. They will basically retrain you to walk heel/toe as the drawing shows.

Do let us know how it goes!
 
You and I seem to share spine/knee issues that really kicked up postop. I tried hydrocortisone to the knee and a guided imagery SI injection. Then a low-dose 10-day pack of prednisone. Unfortunately, I experienced little to no improvement. Tylenol and Ibuprofen may as well be M&Ms.

You know what does help me? Walking with activity poles to maintain better alignment while focusing on moving heel-toe. Alternating between gentle activity and RICE. Some days, I alternate between ice and heat.

I also try to distract myself, which is not easy because my pain is exhausting. But the Canadian geese are heading home, and their honks and flight draw me outside of my home and ruminations. Just imagining myself flying helps.

I start with a "spine man" on Apr 19, so I'll be really interested in following your progress. Good luck!
 
Cricket. Oh, the link you sent on this doesn't seem to be working
Which link is that, Rosalita....possibly I can help since, CricketHip. isn't on the forum at the moment.
 
Just saw a physical therapist who said my knee pain might be related to the fact that my pelvis is twisted. He made some adjustments but unfortunately no change as of now. I don't know what to do now but I do have another appointment with the PT on Wed. Beginning to suspect nerve pain from lower back. I hope you got some help from the "spine man".
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Rosalita!
How did your appointment with the PT go on Wednesday?
Best wishes for a pain free, peaceful weekend!
@Rosalita
 
Thanks Layla. The current diagnosis of my knee pain from PT seems to be "patella tendonitis". it feels never ending. Supposed to be walking to rehab from hip replacement but resting for patella tendonitis......can't do both . Knee pain is definitely worse than hip at this point.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom