THR Right Hip Recovery Report

Well I've been away for awhile, the holidays and all. However a complication occurred the day before New Years Eve. My husband had been pleasantly helpful while I was in recovery. Then all of a sudden he got very weak and on his second day he collapsed next to our bed and couldn't get up. I was three weeks out from my RTHR so I called 911 for an ambulance. I couldn't help him get up, try as I might. The hospital diagnosed him with pneumonia, said he was hypoxic and he spent a week in the hospital. Happily he came home yesterday.

After the scare and excitement that went along with getting him to the hospital then admitted I became almost nonfunctional on day two. Since he only wanted to sleep and his nurse convinced me to spend a day at home at rest that's exactly what I did. Now that he's home we are both resting a lot!

I am four weeks out from my surgery so I'm a bit more functional than he is. It's likely though that I've had a set back because I'm having some pain that is new. I'm considering calling my surgeon for a Tramadol refill. Would that be advisable. Or would rest, resuming icing and Tylenol be better? I've re-read some posts and the advice regarding recovery so I'm not panicking over this set back. I'm so happy that you are all here! ♡

@Lola's Mom, absolutely call your surgeon's office if you want a refill. There is no rule here--other than you are in pain and need it reduced. Remember, pain treatment is part and parcel of good recovery ... People don't move while in pain. They get demoralized while in pain. They don't walk ... and that slows the recovery ... Everybody and every body is different ... One way doctors balance how much narcotics to prescribe is to give people a certain amount and then let people ask for more if they need it.

A quick call to your surgeon's nurse and describing your pain ... will likely get a positive response ... I remember on the day after surgery, while the checkout nurse was explaining what I should do and all ... I interrupted her to say I need some more meds. She thanked me and went and got them, Oxy in my case. I'm almost four months in and I am still quite friendly with my Tylenol.

My view: if you're thinking about the pain or even asking if you're in too much pain, you are in too much pain!

What a frightening experience for both you and your husband. I'm sorry you had to endure that.
I'm sure the scare and resulting concern for your husband was exhausting. It's good he's back home and you're both resting comfortably now. Definitely check in with your OS and see what he advises. You need to address the pain. Ice often. Josephine, the forum Nurse, recommends icing for 40-60 mins each session, target at least 4x times per day. That should help with the pain also. You are right, you don't need to panic, you'll be fine, just give it time. Wishing you both comfort :console2:
@Lola's Mom

Thank you Going4fun and Layla. I am going to call my OS in the morning.

Oh my stars @Lola's Mom
Not a good time for other crises when we are in the midst of recovery..:unsure:
I agree you should call OS and as Layla said..
That Ice is a great anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.
I'm sure you are extra sore if you were trying to tug and help him.
Those muscles are just still super sore do I hope you find it eases soon.
We had a member, Cassidy, whose husband had a medical emergency very shortly after her surgery and he ended up in hospital also.
Tell him it isn't his turn yet.:)
No more excitement for you two!:no-fin:

Happy One Month Anniversary, Lola's Mom!
Wishing you a peaceful week and all the best in the New Year.
Stay in touch, we're here for you.
@Lola's Mom

I called my OS this morning, had to leave a message.

I'm surprised at how much ice helps. I have that little ice bag with me constantly, even in bed at night. Now that I can lay on my side it's a bit of ordeal to get the pillow between my knees and the ice bag perched up on my hip. Arranging the comforter against the ice bag helps keep it in place. The worse thing though is getting everything arranged then having to go to the bathroom. Ugh! :oyvey:

Thanks for the responses and words of encouragement :flwrysmile::loveshwr:

Happy one month Hipversary!:beer:

The worse thing though is getting everything arranged then having to go to the bathroom. Ugh! :oyvey:
ALWAYS happened that way for me too!:sigh:
But we must also stay hydrated and we good to move about so all working to the good !:)
Hard work sometimes for doing little.
Ah, this recovery business...
Hope Today is a Good Day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member