Revision TKR Revision TKR - Total Revision August 5, 2022

I Constantly have pain in both knees after three months of having bilateral knee surgery. I wake up with pain in the morning and have pain all day and evening until I try to fall asleep. Don’t do much on my legs so not to stress them. I have become very frustrated, depressed, and some regrets.

I also have a peculiar pain on the medial side of my knee. The surgeon said it is from the internal knee capsule incision. Has anyone had this kind of pain.

thank you for sharing.

Are you taking tylenol or anything for the pain? I was taking it at 3 months.

I am taking Celebrex daily for pain and inflammation, and occasionally 5 mg Norco.

I still have a lot of pain around my knees, after 3 months. How much longer to being pain free, please share your recovery at 3-4 months Post OP

I still had pain at 3, 4, 5 mo. Started getting better at 6mo. Really turned the "corner" we all seek at 8mo. I'm now at 10 mo and still ice when I overdo and still get stiffness. Better though, it took a long time to get here. At times I didn't think I'd ever get better but I did, you will too. Number two coming soon!

@BTKRmarch11
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.
If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Compete recovery does take a full year and some people take longer than others to become pain-free.

From now on,your pain should decrease gradually.

I am taking Celebrex daily for pain and inflammation, and occasionally 5 mg Norco.
I suggest that you take Tylenol to help with your pain now.
The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets 6-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

It is possible at your stage of recovery to need something a bit stronger now and then for pain than Extra Strength Tylenol. Are you needing this "boost" to sleep at night? After you've done activity or exercise? There are better alternatives than Norco, though. You might ask your surgeon or your GP about Tramadol.

I still can’t walk very far without experiencing pain in my knees. I have some swelling, but not terribly large, puffyness above and below patellar bone. I also have pain at rest which includes a pain on the medial side, which is like a long cut starting at the top and running down on the medial side.
I am diligent with my recovery routine. Four months has been too long, and start experiencing bad depression times throughout the day and night, on and off.
I hope I am not developing a long terms chronic pain in my knees. I had a bilateral on March 11, 2020.
How has been your recovery in months after your surgery?

Is it the knee or all of the soft tissue ( quads, tendons, IT band, fascia) contributing to pain and mobility... I just went to a physical medicine doctor at 5 months out and a sonogram shows that my fascia is stuck all around my knee... hoping that fascial release massage will help, plus I got some saline and lidocaine shots to help the process ... could not tell this was the issue til this far out... keeping fingers crossed..even in one week starting to feel somewhat improved... note I had trkr on feb 13... am an active 65 year old that did not expect these challenges

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Is it the knee or all of the soft tissue ( quads, tendons, IT band, fascia) contributing to pain and mobility... I just went to a physical medicine doctor at 5 months out and a sonogram shows that my fascia is stuck all around my knee... hoping that fascial release massage will help, plus I got some saline and lidocaine shots to help the process ... could not tell this was the issue til this far out... keeping fingers crossed..even in one week starting to feel somewhat improved... note I had trkr on feb 13... am an active 65 year old that did not expect these challenges

Thank you for sharing your experience. What type of doctor is Physical Medicine Doctor?

More importantly, how are you doing after your treatment, was it nerve damage treatment,
Thanks

Physiatrist... they deal with musculoskeletal issues... I just went last week. Dr said it will not be an overnight fix. For me, a sonogram shows that the fascia (covering) of all of the soft tissue is ‘stuck’ to the knee and needs all around my knee... It is not scar tissue as we continually hear sbout with TKR recovery... It needs to be released ... just started the process this week and feel some relief. PT is going to focus on this... as well as a massage therapist I am now trying... Fingers crossed.

Note: Recommended by my surgeon....

I still can’t walk very far without experiencing pain in my knees. I have some swelling, but not terribly large, puffyness above and below patellar bone. I also have pain at rest which includes a pain on the medial side, which is like a long cut starting at the top and running down on the medial side.
It is not unusual to have pain like this at 4 months post op. You are 1/3 healed in this year + recovery.

I am diligent with my recovery routine
You may very well be over doing your recovery routine, which could be maintaining your pain level. Try cutting it back and see if you feel better.

I hope I am not developing a long terms chronic pain in my knees. I had a bilateral on March 11, 2020.
The best way to develop long term chronic pain is to do too much, too soon, and continue that way.

Give your new knee a rest and let it heal more. Patience is huge in this recovery, hard as that is.

Today I am 20 weeks post bilateral knee surgery. I am not satisfied with the results so far. I can’t walk very far without pain, activities like going to grocery store, and shopping are painful halfway through. I have pain inside my knees and around, even sometimes at rest. I have a specific pain on the medial side of my knees, and is aggravated very often and very easily like bending my knees, walking or biking.

I am going a bit depressed while building some anxiety. I am worried that my knee replacements have not been successful.

please share your experience 4-6 months after the surgery, how was your condition, did it improve over time.

thanks.

Many of us felt just like you do now, when we were 3 months. This is a year long recovery, so you are 25% healed. Try not to worry, you will improve.

At less than 5 months I had the same complaints as you are having. You aren't even halfway healed, especially since you had bilateral replacements. When your pain and swelling kick up knock it back down with ice and elevating. That combo is a wonderful pain reducer. Pain and swelling are an indication that you are doing more than your knees are ready for you to be doing. Maybe spacing out your activities more will help you.

That pain on the inside of your knee could be pes-anserine pain. Check this out and see if this describes it. I had a bad case of it at 3 years out. I had ultrasound treatments which helped tremendously.

I wanted to have minimal invasive surgery, and two weeks before my surgery date, I find out that he does not perform minimal invasive surgery.

I’ve been reading about your recovery. I had a PKR a month ago and now I realize there’s no such thing as a minimally invasive knee replacement. I thought I would recover faster with a partial but I seem to be struggling with the same obstacles as members with a TKR.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads