• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Revision TKR 2nd time Lucky

OP
OP
lisabl

lisabl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Week 8 Complete

Week 6 was ODIC all the way, as my daughter was moving out of 1 rented house with all her contents and accuumulated furniture of 2 years in minimally furnished accomodation after Uni finished. With driving 20 miles, supervising cleaning, driving to storage facilities several times, and driving home, knee complained several days, heat caused fingers to swell and Physio just did ultrasound massage for me.

Week 7 rested most of the week, and knee recovered, no physio. End of week 7 daughter moved into new house, but we left most of her stuff in storage, so apart from a drive to drop her at her new place not too much stress on baby knee. Then later in week went swimming 30 lengths of 25yd pool. Next day arms ached so much (doms) but knee was fine (just front crawl using arms).

Week 8 started with nice bath (1st since op) which was lovely and relaxing. Strong arms means no problems lifting myself out of bath. Another Swim but only 20 lengths, and on Sunday I walked 1 mile into village with no aids, trainers on for first time since op, and concentrated on heel /toe correct posture - destination coffee shop (hubby drove me home). No adverse affects after resting and icing at home.

Sleeping 6-7hrs a night having discovered Panadol Nighttime. Occasionally napping but not so much now (maybe every 2-3 days). Little acute pain in knee, just stiffness especially when I first get up in morning. Still icing and elevating 4-5 times a day/night with cryocuff.

Happy healing everyone, I'm still counting my blessings.

OP
OP
lisabl

lisabl

Country
So to update my recovery over the last couple of months. Week 9 and 10 quite similar, with physio starting me on the exercise bike as I could do full rotation of pedals, no formal exercises as she knew I wouldn't do any but just seeing what my baby knee could do. Also swimming a couple of times a week at home and walking to coffee shop alternate days (being picked up for journey home). Just taking paracetamol morning, noon and night now, which keeps on top of pain, and icing 3 times a day and all night. Had to move back downstairs onto recliner as still not comfortable in bed, and too hot. Walking easier and scar healing nicely.

WEEK 11-12 Less and less pain with Paracetamol taken morning and night only. Finding it a lot easier getting in and out or chairs, building quad muscles up. Going upstairs mostly leg over leg now, but still not confident doing the same going downstairs at home (can at gym as rise is not as high). Week 12 back in bed, as preparing for camping trip next week (on high camp bed). Feeling positive as also went for interview to sign back on as a supply teacher (haven't worked since Dec 2017 due to problems with knee), and apart from paperwork all looks good to start back in Oct (delayed return due to cruise in September).

WEEK 13 - Big week as camping week at a Christian festival with my church. Drove for 90 mins to campsite no problem (hubby driving 2nd car to go home in), where promptly given a camp chair and told to sit, whilst hubby put up my tent and filled it with stuff. Walked to main facilities where I got a disabled permit to allow my to keep my car by my tent and drive to main area as needed. Just to give you all a sense of the size of the place, to walk to main arena from my tent was half a mile. I wore my fitbit all week to make sure I did not do more than 7000 steps a day, unsuccessful most days as hit 9000 or 10,0000 steps even with some driving. But with ice bucket, paracetamol and prayer I managed no problem, and strengthened my knee a lot with the normal daily living on a campsite.

WEEK 14 - Rested! Knee increasingly less pain and aching, very occasional zingers although I suspect numb area will not deminish much as this was a revision op, and damaged nerve may never fully recover, but shouldn't cause me too much problem. Knee still clunky a bit when I walk or sit stretching calf and quad with heal slides. Physio measured 125 flex and 5 extension, and happy considering week of camping.

WEEK 15 - Able to walk to coffee shop and back (2 miles) now - with a coffee stop rest of about half hr in the middle, without aids and at about 2-3 mphr pace. As its a bank holiday weekend in uk (public holiday on Monday) me and hubby went to south coast of UK (Brighton) for the day on Friday. He went on a 20 mile hike with friends on the south downs way, and I went shopping and sat on pier. Had a great day out but joined ODIC again(step counter said 12,000 steps by end of day), and rested for most of the weekend icing.

WEEK 16 - Seem to be going from strength to strength. Got on outside bike for first time this week. I live in a village which sits on top of a hill, so flat whilst in village but very steep hills to get out or back again. Able to cycle the 2 mile circular route around village no problem....yay. Hubby now thinking of getting me an electric bike so I can go on longer rides with him. No afternoon naps since camping week, and sleeping better of a night (apart from heat) aswell with the very occasional panadol nightime dose. Painkillers only being used when I remember, but usually only nightime now. The knee is stiff when I first get up in the morning, but no real pain or aches. Tightness still around scar but does not cause too much discomfort unless I have sat for more than half hr in one position, when stiffness can also occur. Evenings I tend to have legs up on recliner, but otherwise quite active.

I am very happy with my recovery this time around, and at a quarter of the way through the year process, it is so much more different than last time. Happy healing everyone. Looking forward to my Italy cruise in a weeks time.

LindaO

senior
Country
United States United States
Wow! You are doing awesome! My revision is coming up in October so I hope I get as good of results as you have!
BTW, my husband was stationed at High Wycome in 2005. He retired in 2007 after 32 years in RAF!
Have fun on your cruise!! :swim:

OP
OP
lisabl

lisabl

Country
@LindaO RAD Dawes Hill is currently being turned into an enormous housing estate. You look like you have had some real troubles with your right knee. So glad second time round has been a lot easier than 1st time.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great to hear from you and that you’re doing so well!

LindaO

senior
Country
@lisabl So many of the military housing estates are being converted. Kind of sad to see it all changing. I will let my husband know. He was at HQ RAF.
I certainly hope my revision will be as good as yours! I just went back and read all of your thread. You have really done awesome!

OP
OP
lisabl

lisabl

Country
WEEK 18-19 This was an ODIC 10 days but I had a great time on my cruise. My first long day was in Pompeii, where I was on my feet from 9am to 4pm with a few brief seated periods (on my walkstool - my best buy last year where a 65cm high stool can be fitted into a daypack as it has telescopic legs). The cobbles were hard work but sturdy and comfortable trainers helped. When I got back to hotel I layed down with leg raised on pillows for a couple of hrs with ice pack, was then able to walk to restaurant in Naples for pizza! Next day was boarding on cruise ship and a sea day to recover with head, shoulder and back massage in spa (surprisingly I was able to lay face down without discomfort on the spa bed for 35 mins). Not much walking in Barcelona as a coach to the centre and a metro train to Sagrada Familia Basillica, next day easy in Toulon france (went on tourist land train tour). Finally serious ODIC in Florence with a 4hr walking tour of the city, then the same in Rome the following day. It took about 2 days when home with ice and elevation for my knee to feel ok and not too tight and uncomfortable. However once recovered things felt surprisingly good and I can only assume it was because I had strengthened my leg muscles with all that walking.

I am now at 5 months (21 weeks) and the knee is feeling less and less like a lump of metal and more like a working joint. I even have mornings were I wake up and forget the knee isn't natural, or sitting in recliner only a slight pull occurs where the numb area is. I can walk up and down stairs foot over foot but still need to hold the handrail at home for balance rather than support. Got a thumbs up from OS when I saw him and had xrays last week. Signed back with teaching agency for 1st time in a yr and half this week, ready to face teenagers again.

Happy healing everyone and remember patience is necessity with this surgery, oh and a positive mindset helps aswell to get through the tough times.

Last edited:

LindaO

senior
Country
Sounds like fun but busy time away! I am sure it was worth to have a little discomfort for the enjoyment of your time away!

sistersinhim

Country
What a great report about your knee behaving on your busy vacation!

OP
OP
lisabl

lisabl

Country
So now at Week 31 (Month 7), all seemed to be progressing well, walking up to 2hrs at a time (Hamberg Christmas Market) and making sure I rested if I made it to ODIC. Then Wham... 3 days ago I got hamstring tendonitis on my non operated leg, and felt like I was back at square one with RICE on bad thigh. The inflammation also triggered other niggles with my RA. Things slowly getting better but it made me think how hard it must be for those who have knee replacements on both knees in quick succession. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@lisabl So sorry you are dealing with tendonitis - not nice! You know the drill - rest, ice and elevation. Hope this eases quickly.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Sorry to hear you have an issue on your other leg. It often seems if it’s not one thing, it’s another! I hope it settles down soon for you.

I’m glad your replacement is doing well, though!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Elphie
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom