Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision - spacer exchange

@sunny-island You need to be the priority. No, your daughter needs to stay home. At 3 weeks from surgery please be firm. These are exceptional times. No one should be traveling at this time.
 
Thank you for your quick reply. I'll be talking with her this afternoon and wasn't sure how to handle this. We only learned today about the funeral she's attending - it made me start to worry. My husband agrees with you 100%.
 
I completely agree that your daughter should stay away from you. Anyone who has been out in the public needs to stay away from someone who has a lower immune system.
 
Hate to be a party pooper, but it is just not worth the risk. After your surgery and a covid vaccine shot, maybe she could come for Easter. I feel your pain, my husband just had a bone marrow transplant for multiple myeloma and has 0 immunity- I sleep in the guest room and wear a mask in our house- I wear gloves and masks to flush his lines every day, but stay totally away In other rooms from him other than doing that. Our daughters family is sad we can’t be together this Christmas also, but hopefully we will all have many more. COVID is a killer, especially for us seniors, Stay Safe.
 
I so appreciate the support here. Your comments are common sense and reasonable. I think I just needed reassurance. She and I spoke last night. She's very understanding. She will not be coming here for Christmas. We will do a Facetime talk today and again on Christmas - this year that will suffice.

Peaches, your comments put this into perspective for me. My husband flushes my IV lines each day, too. But that's where the comparison stops. Your situation is much more difficult than mine. I'm grateful to you for being so honest and frank. God bless you!
 
I would not meet as you are so near to getting a vaccine and are in the at risk age group!
 
@PegGar16. I've been reading about probiotics. There seem to be pros and cons. You said you're a big fan of taking them while on antibiotics. I've been nauseous every day, maybe probiotics will help but I'm hesitant to add anything new to the mix. Yesterday my Infectious Disease doc prescribed potassium chloride to be taken daily because my bloodwork shows low levels. I wonder if that might help? Today I don't even want to eat - just want to avoid feeling so sick. I drank a little milk to take my pain pill though. Did you experience any intestinal problems?
 
Unfortunately, pain meds can cause nausea. We suggest that you always eat crackers or something like that before taking your meds. What would be even better would be if you could eat something with lots of protein. There is a med you can get from the doctor called Zofram that helps lessen nausea. Call him/her and ask for a prescription.

I take probiotics every day and went off of them only before and shortly after my replacement. You should ask your doctor about them.
 
Hi again, @sunny-island .
I've changed your thread title to "Revision - spacer exchange", since "Revision, partial" was a bit confusing.
(At first, I thought you'd had a revision of a partial knee replacement. )
I hope you don't mind - and if you'd prefer a different thread title, please post what you'd like and we'll get it changed for you.
Thank you.
 
In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially in your compromised condition
 
Had a big set back. Started having much worse nausea, a horrible headache, and dizziness. My Infectious Disease doctor prescribed Zofran. It seemed to nausea worse or maybe it just didn't work. Regardless, nausea continued. My ID had already put me on Potassium to be taken through January. Nausea continued. He decided to take me off Oxacyillon and put me on Vancomycin, still as an IV. Started Vanco last night. The Oxacy is still in my system to some extent. I still have nausea but it's getting better. Headache is getting better. But I still feel awful. Can eat a little.

During this, when I couldn't sleep lying down in bed, I tried sleeping in the recliner. It was a little better but it was awkward getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night — I fell doing that. Hurt my tailbone, bruised my arm, didn't hurt my knee! Afraid to try the recliner again.

When I actually can eat again, what to eat?
When will nausea finally go away?
Will vancomycin cause similar side effects?
 
I was nauseous on vancomycin, and also had no appetite. Forced myself to eat crackers or bite of scrambled egg.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
 
Having nausea is miserable. I pray you feel better really soon.
 
I didn't have issues with Vanco like the other antibiotics.....go for a chocolate shake :) My cure all.
 
A chocolate shake! Humm, I like that idea but somehow I'm not so sure...

Glad to hear you didn't have trouble with Vanco. Hoping I'll have the same experience. My present side effects could be from the Oxacycilln exiting my system while the Vanco is entering. Or it could be something else.
 
I hope this isn't a stupid question but how did a knee infection occur 6 years after the surgery? I find that unnerving
 
Not a stupid question. No one is sure how this happened. In case you're wondering I've taken the prescribed antibiotic before and after dental visits all along (might have missed one several years ago before it became a routine to me).
 
I haven't updated my progress since 12/31! So, I'm off IV antibiotics and on oral instead. It seems that nausea follows me no matter which antibiotic I'm on. First oral one was Bactrim, now I'm on Minocycline. Nausea still. How in the world will I be able to tolerate this drug for life? Zofran helps a bit. Now my blood pressure is up. My primary care doctor doesn't like it. He wants to see me in three weeks. No idea what he'll do if it's still high.

My dear left knee is coming along really well. I'm at two months post-op. My ROM was 134 a couple days ago. Most of the swelling is gone, scar looks great. Still have some pain, still icing it just about every day for about two hours. There's a sort of clicking I can feel now and then when walking. Is that normal?
 
Back
Top Bottom