Revision of 3½ year old TKR**

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thought I'd should 'fess' up and let you all know that I am facing a revision in my 2nd TKR which was done in Jan 2015, just 4 years ago.

It all started last summer when I started getting aches and pains just below the joint. Eventually I asked my GP to refer me to my surgeon and was mightily upset when she raged at me about my weight and assured me that even if it was loose, they wouldn't do anything about it because of my weight! Well you know me - I soon shrugged that off. I saw 'himself' in September when he examined my knee and the xrays we'd just had taken, he said it was all okay and I'd 'probably' just got a fat pad impingement, (Hoffa's Syndrome). He said to leave it be for a while and if it got worse, to come back and see him.

So come December and it was worse, I went back to see him. He decided that the next step should be a bone scan. Had that done a couple of days before Christmas and after Christmas, got a letter form him saying there was a flare which indicated that 'something' was going on. But it could be a loosening or might even be an infection. :shocked: Had some blood taken to check for inflammatory markers and am now waiting to be taken in for a joint aspiration but in both knees! If those are clear then I shall be booked in for a revision.

It seems likely that it's just the tibial component that is loosening (bone/cement interface) so that's better than having to have the whole lot pulled out and replaced.

In the meantime, my knee continues to be painful but the curiousity of it is that it's not painful when I'm walking, doing stairs or anything like that. It hurts most when I'm laying on the settee! Go figure that!

I'll keep you all posted.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. We’ll all be here following your journey and supporting you, as you’re always here for us. :console2:

Oh @Josephine - I’ve been reading your helpful posts to others for years.

Sorry to hear this is happening for you, and hoping you get this taken care of and healed quickly! You’re in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry this has happened, Jo.
We'll be here for you, just as you're here for others. :friends:

Sorry that this happened to you :console2:. Hope you can proceed in a timely manner, and have this all behind you.

Here is some pre op reading for you to review.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Oh @Josephine thats very sad but there will be lots of us wishing you well and following your thread

Well Jo, I'm glad to read that you are finally getting some answers. Sorry it's probably not the answers you want to hear. But at least you can move forward and get this fixed. Hope you can get this done quickly!

Hurrah for answers, because they lead to solutions, but sorry you are going through all this. That is interesting about walking not being painful, but lounging on the settee is giving you grief. Crossing my fingers you get everything done soon!

:swoon:Oh no! @Josephine ugh..... not fair! But all of us who you’ve helped and encouraged, we will try and keep you positive through this “blip” on your journey. Sending best thoughts :meow:

Gosh people. I only decided to put that out there in order to assure others what we can all have these issues. But I am truly am totally blown away by your lovely messages of support. What great folk you are!

Sorry to read this, Jo.
You know we'll be here for you, cheering you on all the way.
Wishing you comfort as you await answers.

@Josephine
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you await answers and face a revision. You have helped me so much in the short time I've been on this site. Please know that we are all here pulling for you.

Last edited:
I had a really rough day yesterday. Pretty much unable to get to my feet off the settee and as for going upstairs - forget it! I did nothing all day but lay on the settee and feel miserable! However, I did manage to get up stairs, have a shower and go to bed! Today it was much improved and I managed to do a few things about the house.

I bought a new duvet last week and actually managed to get it into a duvet cover - no mean feat! AND I got it upstairs as well!
th_woohoo.gif

But I shot off an email to my surgeon on a kind of 'help me I'm in agony' tone (no reply yet), tried to ring his secretary to see if she has a date in mind for me (she often does) but then remembered she doesn't work Mondays! I'll try again tomorrow. Also rang my GP for a top-up of Tramadol but the first thing out of his mouth was "are you sure it's not gout"!!!! That man can be a grade A idiot sometimes!

Also rang my GP for a top-up of Tramadol but the first thing out of his mouth was "are you sure it's not gout"!!!!
:doh: I hope you get help soon!

And again, do they know who they’re talking to? Josephine of Bonesmart?

I think we’re all going to have to come over there and back you up!

Jo, I am sorry to hear about problems, which we all dread, of course. I hope things work out and SOON!

So sorry to hear this! I don't get here as often as I'd like but try to pop in a couple of times a week. Praying for you and your dr to get back to you and get you back on the mend soon!

@Josephine I hope this comes sooner than later for you! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Thanks for all you do for us in calming our apprehensions sending hugs and pain free thoughts. :beg:

I hope you can get a surgery date soon, Josephine.
We'll be here for you.

Sooner than later is not going to be an issue! I spoke with his medical secretary today and she said she would 'look into the diary and see where she has space. But that it is fully booked until mid-March-April! So if I have to wait till then for the aspirations, it will likely be another 2-3 months before I get booked in for the revision!
groooansmileyf.gif

Needless to say, emails have already gone off to himself objecting to that possibility so I'll just have to wait and see! Guess that's why they call us 'patients'!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom