Revision TKR revision left knee In June

I am not as concerned with getting that final ROM numbers as I am about the spacer, this might the reason
You have lots of time for your ROM to increase, even if the spacer is a factor. Where your knee is at 3 months is not where it will be at a year and longer. My ROM is even better now at 18 months than it was at my one year check up.

Let’s ask @Josephine if the spacer is a factor in final ROM.
 
during your revision or regular TKR, did your OS indicate that s/he had to put in a bigger spacer (even by millimeters) than expected?
Honey, it happens all the time! That's why we have trials in the instrument tray! So the surgeon can play around with them (so to speak!) and make sure he uses the correct one for the knee he is operating on.

[Bonesmart.org] revision left knee In June


I doubt it has anything to do with any problems you are experiencing - which are likely temporary.
 
Thanks all for your responses. This knee is 10x better than original knee - not loose and moving all around. I never had an opportunity to have a good recovery, so just trying to figure things out. I do know patience is part of all of this and giving it time is also necessary.
Thanks again for your thoughts and expertise!
 
Haven’t posted for awhile ... been doing fairly well...but now have a question. What is a revised TKR supposed to feel like? I know ...very broad question. Here is what I am experiencing and wonder how others are doing in this journey. My knee is stiff and sore. Sometime sharp pains and a bit of instability when just walking or going down stairs. I “work” on my recovery...meaning...I do specific exercises for strength and ROM daily. I ride a bike, go to water aerobics, and non-impact activities. My therapist indicated that because I had a revision in less than a year from original replacement that this might just be as good as it gets. So, jut wondering if others have any suggestions or words of wisdom.
Thanks in advance,

Jo4121
 
My therapist indicated that because I had a revision in less than a year from original replacement that this might just be as good as it gets.
At not quite 4 months post op you still have a lot of healing to do, so there’s lots of room for improvement in this year long, on average, recovery. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

My whole leg improved and felt better after the one year mark, and even more so after the 2 year mark.

2 knee replacement surgeries within a year could mean a slower recovery, it’s a lot of trauma to your knee, but given time, your knee will heal. I think therapists need a lot more training in the area of basic healing.
 
You are only a little over 1/3 of the way of a year-long healing. It sounds like you're having a normal recovery. It just takes time, especially a revision. You don't have to work on recovery. Just using your knee will recovery it just fine. If you find yourself stiff and sore, that means you still have swelling and that you are working it too much. Your number one job needs to be healing that knee, not working it. Slow and easy wins the recovery race.
 
I had a revision less than a year after the original was done. It continued to get better as time went along. I have just a little stiffness at the end of the day after working on my feet. I don’t think the closeness of the surgeries made any difference at all.
 
I had my revision 7/17/18 so I'm about 14 mos post op now and with your revision done 6/5/18 you are about 15 mos post op. At my 1 year post op appointment, my OS felt that the revision surgery was a success i.e. no swelling, scar completely healed and xray normal. He said "I feel that it's a pretty darn good revision, however you are not satisfied". I'm not satisfied as I still have stiffness/pain especially at night. He said since I have flexion of over 120°, I can't have stiffness, but perceive it to be stiff. He said pain that I'm perceiving is nerve pain. I know that it may take up to 18 months for nerves to heal so I'm hoping.
 
What is a revised TKR supposed to feel like? I know ...very broad question. Here is what I am experiencing and wonder how others are doing in this journey. My knee is stiff and sore. Sometime sharp pains and a bit of instability when just walking or going down stairs. I “work” on my recovery...meaning...I do specific exercises for strength and ROM daily. I ride a bike, go to water aerobics, and non-impact activities. My therapist indicated that because I had a revision in less than a year from original replacement that this might just be as good as it gets.
A revised knee has every chance of feeling just as good as the original TKR - even better sometimes, if there was something wrong with your primary TKR.

It's not 4 months yet since you had your revision, and complete recovery takes a full year, so there's plenty of time for improvement. What you have now is not what you'll end up with.

Your PT has no business telling you this could be as good as it gets. She's wrong and what she said is discouraging. And it has nothing to do with you having a revision less than a year from the original. Just give your knee time. It knows what it's doing and it will continue to improve.

Even with a primary TKR, few people are without some pain and strange symptoms at less than 4 months post-op.
 
Sorry for any confusion ... but as stated by Calgirl .... I am 15 months after the revision. So, that was why I was wondering about what it should feel like.
 
Oops, we misread the date in your signature. I apologize.

I agree I would expect better at 15 months post op, however, as I said, my whole leg improved and felt better after the one year mark, and even more so after the 2 year mark. Some of us can really take much longer than others and in this recovery.

Maybe a check up with your surgeon would be a good idea, just to check things out.
 
I'm sorry , but I also misread the date of your revision.
Since your revision is now 15 months old, I suggest you stop the PT exercises and just let everyday life be your knee's rehab. It shouldn't still need PT and I'm wondering if the PT could be irritating your knee and keeping some of its tissues inflamed.

Try a month of no Pt and if you find that doesn't help, it may be time to see your surgeon again.
 
Thanks for your thoughts & recommendations. I think giving it more time is a great idea! I have reverse shoulder replacement surgery on October 30 and just trying to prepare for that is enough to deal with for now as well!

Jo4121
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom