Revision TKR revision left knee In June

Thanks for your advise / encouragement....I agree with everything you've said and don't go out of my way to "push it" in my recovery. It's just that since it is a revision I almost feel guilty that it feels so good. I do know there will be moments of feeling like I'm not making progress also, so I should just bask in the present and not worry about the future.
Thanks again!!
 
Do not feel guilty! It is what it is. :flwrysmile:
I would think a revision means something didn’t go right the first time, so you’ve “paid your dues”. It’s lovely you’re having a much better time this time.
 
I agree, don't feel guilty. Feel glad! :happydance:

My recovery was really good. Pain wasn't too bad and off painkillers at the end of two weeks. Excellent ROM in both knees. PT went wonderfully (I kept them on a tight rein). My walking program had no setbacks and I just kept getting better and better. As recoveries go, mine was definitely a good one.

Sometimes I felt a little self-conscious about posting all my good news when other people were posting less good recoveries. And you have an even rarer situation: an excellent revision. Just remember people need to hear those stories too! The good ones. :SUNsmile:

And it's okay to be that person who has a good story to tell! Be happy for yourself, because everyone else is happy for you. As for the bad days -- or less good days, as I preferred to think of them -- that's how life works, and not just when it comes to knees!
 
Just remember people need to hear those stories too! The good ones. :SUNsmile:
This is so true! For those of us struggling with issues, me, with the fear of possible revision, me, I need to see that revision can be a much better experience than the original one. :console2:
 
Thanks ... I get a little paranoid (for good reason as it turns out). I had a great recovery for the original TKR ... until about 5 months in when problems arose that led to the revision, so I want to do well. I know there will be days when it just doesn't feel right so I am greatful for the good days now.

Thanks again for your help and support!!
 
Last edited:
Today marks a month since my revision...woohoo!

Things are progressing very well and I could tell almost immediately after surgery that this time there was going to be a different/better outcome than my original TKR.

I am riding a stationary bike, walking without assistance of cane, crutches, or walker, and going up & down stairs better each day. I had a few days of unexpected swelling and increased pain a few weeks ago but that has resolved and my daily pain is so much less than even before surgery.

I am getting a new trike bike called a TRIGO this coming weekend ... it sits up higher off the ground than a recumbent bike and has 1 wheel in the front and 2 wheels in the back. It also comes with an electric motor...looking forward to some rides very soon.

I see my OS next week and hope to get ok to get back in the pool for some well needed laps. I have trip to Colorado with some trails to climb and jeeping up the mountains.... will take it easy, but excited to just get out of my house!!

Take care all ... hoping you have some success in your recovery!
 
I saw my OS last week and everything looks great!

I will be working with my therapist on some work conditioning activities for the next 5 weeks. I am a special ed teacher and do a lot of walking, lifting, pushing, and pulling, so this was to get me ready for when school starts in late August.

I just finished a vacation jeeping the mountains of Colorado and some hiking. The knee did great! My confidence is also getting better. Since the previous TKR was never good, that took a toll on my confidence that I could do the simply things like climbing stairs or walking even around my school.

I am now more optimistic that things will be better this coming school year so doing some work conditioning will also help.

Take care and hope you'll are healing!
 
It makes my [emoji175] so happy to hear how well you are doing after your revision. I’m waiting to hear from from my revision surgeon’s scheduler this week to hopefully have my revision in September/October. I currently have no confidence in my abilities and am severely limited in what I can do. It’s wonderful to hear about how much you are able to do in such a short amount of time since your revision. I thought it would be a year before I could return to an active lifestyle! Thank you so much for sharing your positive outcome and please continue to post to give those of us that are struggling hope for a return to “normal” after revision surgery.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Wow! You’re doing great, and that keeping had to have been exhilarating. Colorado’s mountains are so beautiful. I used to live near Pike’s Peak and the family drove into the mountains every weekend. Gorgeous roads. Of course that was a long time ago. What did you do to help your knee hold up better?
 
I think I was more prepared ... knew what to expect. I also have a great PT who I've worked with for about 10 years who knows when to push me or slow down the process.

I know it's supposed to hurt and how to manage the pain.... ice and elevate/manage with medication as needed. I am also off work as a teacher until late August, so I don't feel the need to rush recovery so I can go back to work. I have a great husband who takes care of house stuff. But to be honest, I knew the moment I stood after surgery, my knee felt stable - not loose and wobbly like it was for over a year before the revision.

My OS works for a university hospital and studies/teaches /researches/ performs knee and hip replacements &'revisions. We tried everything to not have a revision - but ultimately he went in and found the problem and fixed it. Now, I can live my life ... jeep in Colorado (yes, it is amazing to see) ride my bike, swim, and walk with confidence.

Once again ... hope the best for everyone in the forum!

Jo
 
:goodpost:How uplifting to read how well you are doing! It does get better, everyone!
 
I sure hope knowing what to expect helps me with my revision!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
So today was a hiccup day in my recovery ... an infected internal stitch. Very red and swollen hard lump about silver dollar size that was pea size yesterday. Called OS and made the 2 hour one way trip to be seen by him. Took blood, xrays, and pictures. Was told I have an elevated WBC but everything else came out in the normal ranges and xrays were also fine.

So prescribed antibiotics and told to put hot pack on the lump to see if it can bring the infection to the surface and break the skin ... another words 'pop' like a zit. Follow-up in 2 weeks, but if it spreads, I have a high fever, chills, etc ...call and come back. Not to terrible an outcome for now and listened to a great audible book to and from appointment.
 
Last edited:
I’ll be praying [emoji1374] that your infection clears and continue healing @jo4121! Happy to hear you got a good book in on the way!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Praying for a quite stitch infection healing!
 
Stitch problems like yours occur sometimes and are ALWAYS annoying! It does sound like something that will work itself out, but still needs to be watched. I hope it comes to a head quickly and your body gets rid of it without further trouble. And those audible books are a fun way to pass time!
 
Saw my OS today...10 weeks after surgery check-up.

What was originally thought to be an infection (which has not gone away) he believes is actually a pulled hamstring that attaches at the point that is also at the end of the incision. I had mentioned that I thought I had a pulled hamstring to my PT a week before the red spot showed up.

So, off antibiotics and on to 6 weeks of PT for hamstring. If that doesn't seem to do the trick .. cortisone shot possibility in 4 months. Other than that ... things are going well.

My husband and I bought TRIGO bikes - they sit up higher than a recumbent with 1 wheel in front and 2 in the back like a trike. Anyway, we are enjoying riding them and love being able to get out and enjoy what's left of summer before going back to work next week as a teacher. Mine also has an assist electric engine for any hills that come my way ... :)

Good luck all in your recovery!
 
Question ... during your revision or regular TKR, did your OS indicate that s/he had to put in a bigger spacer (even by millimeters) than expected?

This is my case and I have noticed the following - ROM is still at 115. Not terrible unless trying to put on shoes or going up or down stairs.i have done all the exercises to get further ROM, but is just not happening.

So how crucial is it to get to 120 or 125? Is this going to just be an annoyance (one of the many little things after a TKR)?

I can still do most activities in and out of work, but noticed it more when lifting/transferring a special needs student from wheelchair to regular chair. Getting into the needed squat position to get proper lifting technique was a bit difficult and my back didn't like this at all. :(

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.... by the way, I love that football season has finally begun, too!! GO TEAM!
 
One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees

This is what one of our members wrote about the slow development of her ROM. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "

9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.
You will continue to get ROM improvement for years.
 
Thanks for your response. I am not as concerned with getting that final ROM numbers as I am about the spacer, this might the reason and is there anything - other than surgery - to help? If this is my new normal, I need to rethink some of the lifting requirements of working with special needs students. I have great staff, and doing student lifts is part of the job. So if the spacer will be a limiting factor, I need a work around.

Thanks again!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom