Returning to work - what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making some progress! I drove my car for 5 minutes to the ATM machine yesterday. I got out of bed and it did not hurt! And today was my first out patient PT session, which unfortunately left me wiped afterwards. And we barely did anything. My muscles do not seem to be cooperating and my movement is really limited. They said I have to learn to use my core, because my back will get worse and worse if I compensate shifting weight to the good leg and stand and walk like that.

I am dying to get my hair highlighted, and wondering if I can handle sitting in a salon for two hours. I hate these every day tasks become major thinking points. But to keep my sanity I have to get out of the house and try and keep up with myself. Any ladies here been to the salon within first two months of post op?

All for now....
 
Hi Everyone,
I am going into my 10th week of recovery, and my surgeon has cleared me to return to work. I have an office job, I run a recruiting dept for a company. But even though it is an office job, there is walking around a big building, to the rest room, etc. I am hoping to hear experiences from those who have returned to work, for helpful hints to manage through the transition.

Mentally I am going bonkers being home. It is very isolating and BORING, and you all can relate to. As of now, I am ok walking short distances without an aide, but I was partial weight bearing for 6 weeks because I had a fracture that was discovered during surgery. I have started outpatient PT which is going ok. Physically I am finding I swell a lot still, and if I am on my feet for more than 10 minutes I really begin to get pain in leg and back.

The schedule the doctor signed off on is to return first week for two half days, second week for two full days, third week 3 days, then full time at week four. I felt it was important to have a day off for "recovery" and PT every other day for a bit. I anticipate having to ice and lay down each day I get home. I welcome advice and sharing from those who have "Been There Done That"...

Thanks in advance....
 
@Onestepatatime ... you may notice that I've merged your three recovery threads for your hip into a single thread.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. This makes it so much easier to go back and review your history should we need to before giving you advice.

Your return to work schedule sounds very sensible and you should do just fine. I suggest you get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour. Set a timer on your computer if you need to as it's easy to get engrossed in work and forget to move about. Sitting for long periods to time is hard on new joints. Also, whenever possible save up errands around a big building so that you make the fewest possible trips. Try and sit down for a few minutes at each stop if you can. And, even better, ask someone else to do the walking for you. People are usually willing to help you out for a few weeks (after that they think you should be totally healed and normal again :heehee:). Don't plan any (not ONE!) errand or stop on the way to or from work. Go directly home, put your feet up and rest for an hour or so. Have meals ready or pick up takeout at a drive thru (that stop is okay). No housework after you get home either. This is just temporary until you see how sore or fatigued you are.
 
@Onestepatatime don't be surprised if you feel quite exhausted. My first day back at the office post RTHR I suddenly felt ill. Had to leave and go home to rest. Next day I was fine. But you need to factor in the energy you will spend getting up and ready for work, commuting to work, etc. All this is much more tiring than just focussing on recovery.

Your phased return is exactly what we recommend here. Don't feel pushed to get back to full time. Listen to that hip. It will tell you when you have done too much.
 
Thanks Jamie and Jaycey, My fear is the company might not be supportive of my returning part-time. I have a call with my boss tomorrow, but I feel I need to stand firm and cannot push this. It's difficult when I want to get back to my job and on with life. I am nervous about feeling sick or in major pain again, but I will follow both of your advice and no errands on way home, straight to ice, etc ....I know just getting up early and getting dressed and out the door might prove to be a challenge first few times.
 
Just refer to the schedule the doctor gave you and do be firm if you get any push back. I had to do the same. But having it in writing definitely helps.

I doubt you will have major pain at this point. Just the energy drain that comes with the recovery and any increase in activity.
 
Hi Karen, was wondering about your posts talking of a fracture discovered during your THR. My PT told me stories of patients that had their femur fractured during the surgery, as different size devices are inserted for fit, and they're 'installed' with a hammer. (I watched an animated THR video prior to my surgery, and then watched an actual procedure video after my surgery. They really put the muscle and power tools into the operation, and so glad I didn't watch it prior to mine!) He knows of patients that had their femur fractured by the doctor, hitting the top of the femur with the hammer, and shattering the bone. It then has to be wire-wrapped, and does obviously complicate recovery. Just curious if this was the situation in your case, or they just happened to find a fracture? Hope you're healing well and your employer is showing some compassion with your return. I'm 7 weeks post op, and can't wait to work again. Not quite ready yet, as my job as a chef on yachts typically sees 14 hour days on my feet. (probably why I needed a new hip in the first place!) Hopeful for potential jobs once I'm back 100%.
 
Hi, I see your surgery was shortly after mine. You are so lucky you are in Fla recovering! Although I guess I did not miss much being stuck inside here. Yeah, the surgeon explained to me that during the "installation" the bone got fractured and they fixed it with wiring, which I was able to see in the follow up x-ray a couple of weeks ago. The surgeon's office was zero help in giving me guidance on what is a good schedule for return to work. So I took the one from this site and modified it:) I think the company would rather me stay out then return in a phased approach but I will figure it out. Given you are a chef on yachts (how cool!) you should not rush. Except is is crazy boring not working. How are you feeling?
 
Mentally I am going bonkers being home. It is very isolating and BORING, and you all can relate to

I understand this feeling!

It is a wonderful feeling to be on the other side - healing...but your body will be the boss for some time. No matter how fast you want it to go, it will tell you when enough is enough.

I would suggest knowing where your first-aid room is - if possible, arrange to have a break in there at lunch-time, and put your feet up. I am fortunate enough to work from home (full-time) and I am ever-so slowly returning into the office, and 3 months out I am still having a nap at lunch and only returned into the office for 1 day a week (and that day just totally wipes me out!).

Be ready to be exhausted - I am not being negative rather I am being realistic. Have meals planned/made/delivered. Do anything you can to automate and support your lifestyle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom