PKR Return to work at week 6?

But when you start adding getting up early, preparing to go to work, commuting to work, a full day of work and then commuting home - that's tons of energy gone on work and not on healing.
At 20 weeks, there are still days (like yesterday) where after all that activity, I fall exhausted into bed before 8 and sleep through the night.
 
Hello ‼️ I kinda fell off the earth for awhile ...sorry about that. Thought all was well . . An update ...did return to work after 10 weeks and didn't have any real problems beyond normal swelling

Then fell on my new partial knee January 2nd. Loud audible pop with pretty intense pain ---lasted a couple of seconds ‼️ Honestly thought I had ripped my adhesions as did my PT:however noticed as time progressed I was not progressing (had finished PT by then). When going from sitting to standing to walking looked & felt like I was about to fall. However if remained standing could not tell. And still no pain. So I opted to mostly stand during my 12.5 hr shifts.

Finally nearly 7 weeks later got X-ray & PCP doc exam yesterday. He's like 95% sure I tore my ACL Having MRI in couple of hours to confirm. My ortho doc says he can repair an ACL only with partial knees. So guess I got lucky in my bad luck?!?

If anyone has had this done I would be grateful to hear from you. How long does recovery to return to work take?

Tennessee Cyn.
 
I returned to work in 3 weeks, as I sit at a desk all day. I brought a zero gravity chair into the office to keep my leg up and that helped some, but as others have stated, it swelled up every day! By 2 - 3 p.m. I was physically exhausted and had to go home and sleep after work. I found that if I worked a few days, then took a day off, I could survive, but it is really draining. I can't imagine being on my feet at all. I am six weeks, this week, and still am having to leave early and take time off every week. Good luck, I know how hard it is to have obligations, and try to heal at the same time. Most people that have not had this surgery, I find have no idea how extreme it is. I have a X-ray laminated card of my new knee in my wallet that I share when someone makes a ridiculous remark, like I figured you would be back by now, and feeling great. Once I show them the card, their jaw drops and they quickly Get it! I don't feel like my sitting in a chair is doing any damage to the new joint, but if I had to stand all day, I would lose it mentally, physically for sure.
 
I remember after my hip replacement someone commenting that you should look at this as in the league with transplant surgery or other major surgeries. While I don't think it affects the systems in our body quite as much as say heart transplant, it gives a new appreciation for how big a surgery it is. Make 'em watch a video of the surgery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
With my left knee partial, I returned to work at five-weeks with few problems. I sit most of the day but it's really hard to find a way to elevate. I was exhausted by the end of the day and left early quite often.

I returned at seven-weeks with my right total knee replacement with pretty much the same results. I've been back at work for six or seven weeks and I'm still worn out some days, but I've been putting in some 12-14 hours days on a project that has a tight deadline. That's more the issue than my knees.

I wish I could have taken 10 weeks off with each knee, but being without my full salary while trying to pay medical bills wasn't a great plan!
 
Best wishes for the ACL repair. I'm not sure how long it takes to recover from that, so I'll ask @Josephine .
 
Hi Old Football Injury, Charmed-Life, Clipless, Joyful61 and Celle,

Yes I agree it's been weird I've been able to work thru 7 weeks of this ...altho pain is simply not there*. Per MRI my ACL "may be intact" as may be all other extensor mechanisms (reason for qualifier is artifact & distorting Halo effect caused by PKR replacement itself). Even when I look like I'm about to fall down its not painful per se, instead it's incredibly awkward.

I'm going back for a month of PT per my PCP (GP doc) then will have 2nd exam by him. If instability still exists w/o improvement will then see my OS.

Celle I did search & found old thread related to ACL repairs after PKR that Josephine had replied to ...I've asked her to merge my PM to her into this thread. I've been away so long I cannot remember how to's of basics like merging, replying to individuals answers & changing thread titles.

I've really no idea what is going to happen ...& if I've a 2nd degree ACL++ tear how near complete the tear is. My PCP is hopeful I've enough fibers left that I can heal. Any input on that is also welcome. ( ++that's what my PCP hopes for after getting MRI read. )

Thank you all‼️
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom