Guest viewing is limited

TKR Replacement Knee is Warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please listen to skigirl. These dumb home physical therapists have no sense and will try and push you way too hard! I finished up my 4 weeks of home PT last week and just started my outpatient PT yesterday and my outpatient PT was much more enjoyable! Please go slowly and just do stretches. Do not let them push or pull on you.

It sounds like you are doing GREAT! Keep us posted on how things progress!
 
I agree to all that's been said before me regarding additional burning and swelling during exercise. The swelling can be combatted by regular (almost constant) icing and elevating. However, I only do the exercises/stretches until that burn you speak of. I hold the stretch just before the burn. I'd say it's very tight and a hard stretch but it us NOT to pain!
Be careful, many PTs speak of the magic window to gain ROM but there are lots of people on here who've proved differently.
 
I am glad to report my New full time PT person came yesterday. I got a good one. Told my husband to back off the stretches expect for what she has written out. Also taught him to message my leg and how my leg should be elevated and sleeping positions. Said up to week 4 we are only stretching. No mention of ROM or any magic number. Big relief in that one. Today has been a good day so far. Things must be reattaching as the leg seems to be jumping on its own. :egypdance:
 
Mbone. when we had our final appointment with theOS he told us at that the average length of time for surgery was 50 minutes. After the surgery he told my husband that everything just fell into place. Very little work was needed to "fit" the new knee in place. He said every once in a while a surgery just goes that well.
 
Well I made it to one week and I haven't hurt anyone yet. lol I seem to be having a lot of calf pain. Of course its swollen and after having the leg elevated when I first get up the pain is doubled. Once I'm up and moving the pain dissipates, but it does stop me dead in my tracks. My PT says its normal. Any suggestions on making the transition from sitting/laying down to standing easier. Thanks
 
Glad to hear you are progressing so well with your recovery. Hope thinks continue to improve for you.
 
Well done Pam. Sounds like you're doing great. PT seems good. You're going ahead in leaps and bounds. Keep up the great work. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Pam,
I found it helped me to support my TKR leg with my other leg. I hooked my right foot behind my left ankle and supported it as it came down. I also tended to scootch forward on the edge of the bed to get my foot down quickly as once it was supported on the floor it was easier. It didn't like dangling. I hope you find these suggestions helpful.
The other thing that helps is time and healing.
Happy Easter, you are doing really well,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Had my right knee replaced 3-21-13 and have had no really issues. My in home therapy ended 2 weeks ago and was able to walk down our street without any pain. Now with in the last few days when I walk the same distance my right calf cramps up and is very painful to walk. Any thoughts?
 
Good question. What have you been doing activity wise other than walking?

The soft tissues from the thigh down to the ankle tend to be very cranky for about 6 months. You see, on March 21 most of the soft tissues of your right leg got injured during surgery. That kind of trauma takes quite a bit of time to recover from. But that's not to say there isn't another factor in your new calf pain.

I had so many aches and pains after surgery I've forgotten the details. You have new pain after a smooth recovery. Hopefully someone will chime in who's experienced this.
 
I am still doing the stretching and knee bends that I was doing from the beginning. I also use a pedal exerciser and go to the pool, and of course walk. Still resting, elevating and icing several times a day.
 
Do gentle calf stretches help? Or heat on your calf? Just trying to keep you entertained here until someone who knows what they're talking about responds!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Replacement Knee is Warm As I have no idea what to tell you about why your calf is cramping when walking. So I will tag Josephine who may be able to give you some insight and some possible solutions.
 
Yes, I'll ice my knee and put a heating pad on the back of my calf. The muscles do become unknotted, but still sore. Keep asking questions and I'll keep giving my answers. Thanks for your interest.
 
Since you are only 6 weeks out, I'd say the problem is pretty evident - you're doing far too much!

I have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
2. how often are you icing your knee?
3. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
4. what is your activity level - what do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and PT?
 
Suggest doing simple calf stretches. Like many of us, it may be that your surgery also re-aligned your leg, which can make muscles complain in the short run. Also, I see you're in Florida. Sometimes cramping is nothing more than being dehydrated -- that happens a lot in sports when people fail to drink enough water. Question, though: Is your calf hot? If so, any chance you have a clot? A little far out from surgery for this to happen, but it can. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that you're doing too much just because your calf's cramping -- unless you're speed-walking a mile or walking on the beach/other uneven surface.
 
Hi tanksgram
I had bad pain/tightness in my calf and mentioned it to my PT. he told me to use a tennis ball and put it under my calf then roll it up and down whilst trying to push down. It was bliss.... And within 2 days the tightness went. I still use it.., in fact I also lie in bed and use it in my glutes, lower back and anywhere else that is tight. In the past I have used a golf ball so that would work too. Hope this helps. Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTKR. 9 March 2013
 
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
I take Motrin 2 to 3 times a day, 800 mg each time. At bed time I take 1 Vicodin 5/325
2. how often are you icing your knee?
I'm icing my knee about every 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours
3. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
as often as possible and every time I ice.
4. what is your activity level - what do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and PT?
I do not attend any PT classes in home or out. I had PT in home for the 1st 4 weeks. I have continued to do all of the exercises that they had me doing plus walking for approx. 10 to 12 minutes. (twice a day) I have returned to work but my job is sitting all day long. I set a timer to lap the office every hour and of course ice while I am there. I'm only working 4 to 5 hours a day and will work my way up to the 8 hours. Housework? NO, cleaning? no, Cooking - a little. My OS told me not to push it and it take it slow, which I believe I have done. Oh several days a week I will do a set of exercises in the pool. When I would walk with my PT person, I never had the calf pain that I'm having now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom