Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww cute photo of you and Evie. :)

It's great to hear how well your recovery is going.

Take care

Ann
 
Gosh you are a real inspiration to all of us still on the Preop side!
Your cats are gorgeous so so cute. So keep up the good work and I wish you all the very best with your recovery
 
Great achievement and very inspiring for those on the que for surgery and for those like me who are very anxious!

İ think not only your strong muscles helped you with the recovery but also your mindset, so positive!

Wish all the best in your journey to full recovery!
 
Today was one week and one day since surgery. The nurse came today and removed the bandages on both incision sites. Generally speaking, the left side shows more trauma than the right in terms of a longer incision, a less attractive incision, and more bruising. There had been a little drainage into the bandage on the left, but not much. It was thus a little harder for her to remove the left side bandage, whereas the right side came right off. The right side incision, as compared with the left, is fine craftsmanship. Because of back issues since my 20s, the left leg muscles have experienced some atrophy. The osteoarthritis was more severe on the left side, and range of motion was more limited than the right. Further, we decided to do the left hip first, so that the more degenerated one would get done if the surgeon needed to stop at one, should complications arise. That was unnecessary, but it surely seems to me that there were more surgical challenges on the left than the right. Besides the less attractive incision and bruising, there was more swelling on the left, and movement a bit more challenging after surgery. So here are my theories: (1) The left leg/hip was worse than the right, hence more of a challenge to the replace the hip; or (2) The surgeon got the practice he needed on my left side during those early morning hours, and thus he sailed through the right. :-)

Swelling has reduced substantially. By weight, I am about eight pounds lighter today than yesterday. I would surely correlate the constant trips to urinate with the weight of about a gallon of fluid that I've lost. It was much easier to walk today. The PT said to ditch the walker and use the crutches or cane. I am able to walk unassisted, but of course, will not do so without crutches/cane until the PT clears me.

What I am about to say next is primarily for the benefit of men facing bilateral THRs, and for the amusement of any women reading this. When I was in the hospital and made my first trip to the bathroom to attempt a bowel movement, an experienced nurse said "bring the urinal" (the one with the handle that is used bedside). I asked her why, and she said "you'll see." When I sat down, my legs were so swollen that I could not negotiate my penis into the toilet. So I had to use the urinal out in front of me, lest I make a mess. I am grateful to the nurse for the tip. In fact, today is the first day that swelling has decreased sufficiently such that the urinal is not necessary. To the women readers, please enjoy a giggle. I have a dear female friend who had a THR about 18 months ago, and we have been comparing notes. On this topic, the imagined visuals were, according to Jane, "the best laugh I've had in years." Glad to be the source of amusement. :-) Truly, a good laugh over this is great medicine.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Replacement accomplished!
It is definitely a "giggle"!
 
gershom
I'm impressed with your pace of recovery and positive mindset.
By the way, you are a source of amusement with the urinal story! and we need the amusement!
thanks for sharing
selin
 
Today my physical therapist was applying resistance to the basic leg exercises, in sets of ten. About half way through the sixth set, he stopped. He was breathing heavy. I asked what was wrong. He said, "You are wearing me out." :-) I like this guy!
 
I posted pics of the incisions in "Hippies scars - post your badges of honour here." I recommend you visit that section. My scars are stunning. :)

Something I'd like to add, which I pass on the the community of exercise "enthusiasts," is an important factor in how I came to require bilateral THR. To be sure, I understand that there are many factors and I cannot attribute the degeneration of my hips to just one. But note please that I possess addictive tendencies, in particular around exercise. When I was in my 20s I began running for exercise and discovered that I loved it. I got involved in road racing and eventually marathon running. During a period of four years (1977 - 1981) I was part of running cohort in the US Navy, where our miles were logged and we received certificates periodically for achievement. At the conclusion of the four years I was awarded a certificate for having run 10,000 miles for that period. That's an average of almost 7 miles per day for four years.

I continued the practice for the next four years, at least. After experiencing back trouble and stress fractures in my feet, I switched focus to triathlons, figuring that I would run less while mixing things up with swimming and biking. Fast-forward to ~2004 when I began experiencing severe hip and leg pain. Since my 20s I had opted for holistic treatment for the back: Acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, physical therapy, diet. The pain was managed this way, and I continued to exercise. But the pain in 2004 came on with a vengeance, and my OS diagnosed issues with the back at L4, L5 and S1. In 2008 I gave in to surgery and underwent a partial laminectomy (aka laminotomy) at L4 and L5 (not fusion). This relieved some of the leg and hip pain, but it continued.

In 2010 the severe pain returned, and now I was being pitched over as my hip flexors seemed to lock up. There were random pains everywhere in my legs, including knees, quads, shins, insteps, and more. The OS and I agreed on a conservative but aggressive program of physical therapy for about 18 weeks. Through this period I had a personal trainer as well who specialized in exercises with back problems. Strengthening my core and generally balancing muscles surely helped me holistically, but every session resulted in even more pain to the hips and legs. I learned to "roll out the pain" with a long cylindrical device, but found myself doing so sometimes three hours a day just to make things tolerable. And then there were the NSAIDs. The worst part was that I was getting little sleep.

I returned to the OS. We updated the MRI and strategy, and planned surgery for early 2011. That is when my massage therapist spoke up and voiced her concern that the back surgery being proposed did not correlate with my most serious symptoms. So I consulted a neurosurgeon, who diagnosed that my hips were bone-on-bone, that I had bone spurs, torn labrum, cysts on the acetabula surfaces, and that the femur heads appeared more egg-shaped than round (all in the pathologist's report). So I consulted with a new OS, and here I am. At 10 days following bilateral THR, I have none of the leg pain or hip pain from the past, nor do I have any back pain.

Time will tell how the extant damage to my back will manifest, but it seems that the majority of the pain I had experienced since 2004, at least, emanated from the hips, and had gone undiagnosed, has vanished. There is an important lesson here, and it is not one of criticizing my first OS. In my professional work I evaluate aspects of human behavior as it relates to computer interfaces, in the context of knowledge acquisition. There are several cognitive errors that we make routinely, like "capture" errors and "loss of activation" errors. In laymen's terms, these are related to not being able to see the forest for the trees. Have you ever driven to the store on a weekend in the general direction of work, but found yourself in work's parking lot instead of the store? Such errors are this sort of thing. There was so much focus on my back for so long, that neither the OS, my GP, or I could see past it. It took the nudging of my massage therapist and the neurosurgeon, who were not prejudiced by that long history with my back, to point me in the right direction.

So the big lessons are these: Have BALANCE in your exercise program. Listen to your body. Consult with others. And do something about addictive tendencies if they are identified in your behavior. And never underestimate the value of a second opinion.
 
İ liked your conclusion
Balance is the key word and it applies to lots of things
Selin
 
Monday, 11 February 2013, and 12 days since surgery. "I feel like dancin', dancin', dancin' the night away! I feel like dancin', dancin', dancin' the night away!" Nighttime sleep is getting better, leg swelling is gone (just a little around the hips...err faux-hips); I've lost 15 pounds of fluid since surgery and am now only about 8 pounds over my pre-surgery weight. I've adopted yet a second song (after "Dancin") - " 'Round 'round git-around, I git aroundddd...." The single crutch that my PT has asked me to use as a precaution is more or less window dressing at this point. To be sure, I am observing all of the rules (no leg-crossing, no pivoting, etc.) and my dear wife reminds me to walk slowly and deliberately, and to use my arms to stand up...all of that. I do NOT want to introduce any risk, but I must say that the contrast to mobility right after surgery is remarkable.

I am wondering if anyone has come up with a good name for artificial hips. My wife, for example, had ulcerative colitis and ultimately had her entire colon (large intestines) removed. Through the wonders of medical science, they fashioned a waste holding sack out of ileum (small intestine) called a "J-pouch" and attached it to the usual plumbing. So she does not require an ostomy bag and functions as anyone else. We refer to her improvised device as her "semi-colon." So I'm wondering if there is similar clever expression we hippies can use. :-)

On the topic of cats and recovery, Mr. Harley has been so dedicated to my recovery by participating, encouragingly, in PT, we decided to make a video in his honor. Enjoy!

 
What I am about to say next is primarily for the benefit of men facing bilateral THRs, and for the amusement of any women reading this. When I was in the hospital and made my first trip to the bathroom to attempt a bowel movement, an experienced nurse said "bring the urinal" (the one with the handle that is used bedside). I asked her why, and she said "you'll see." When I sat down, my legs were so swollen that I could not negotiate my penis into the toilet. So I had to use the urinal out in front of me, lest I make a mess. I am grateful to the nurse for the tip. In fact, today is the first day that swelling has decreased sufficiently such that the urinal is not necessary. To the women readers, please enjoy a giggle. I have a dear female friend who had a THR about 18 months ago, and we have been comparing notes. On this topic, the imagined visuals were, according to Jane, "the best laugh I've had in years." Glad to be the source of amusement. :) Truly, a good laugh over this is great medicine.

That was the reason i sent the first commode back for the wider model (while still in the hospital)! I found with the narrow one things were just too tight sitting there. Once i got home, i found a toilet seat riser (without handles) much more usable than the commode for the same reason, need space for the swollen parts to fit!

oh, and legs weren't the only things that were swollen :umm:
 
Re: "oh, and legs weren't the only things that were swollen"

Forgive me if this share is TMI (too much information), but when I was in the bathroom making that fateful discovery, my wife had accompanied me and screamed, "What happened to your scrotum?!??!"
 
Sometimes our wives don't hold back. I remember when we were at my pre-op with my OS. He finished up telling us about the procedure and what to expect and asked if there were any questions. My wife says, "How long do we have to wait before we can get back at it". I just about climbed under my chair.....
 
[Bonesmart.org] Replacement accomplished!
Not really!!! :loll: The truth of situations is often very funny, and this is certainly one of those times. Us ladies have no edge on these things. I love the "semi colon". It's good to have a sense of humor about these things. And Mr. Harley looks as if he'd be a wonderful masseuse---loved the video.

Your recovery is coming along so well. You're obviously a fast healer, but you've also pretty much followed the mantra. That's a really winning combo.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Replacement accomplished!
 
The visiting nurse came today to take my vitals and Coumadin count. I answered the door and let her in. After exchanging small talk, she asked me to direct her to the bilateral hip patient....
 
Gershom,

Your recovery is very impressive; I have a hard time imagining having both hips done at once. Not to mention your more interesting stories. I can't help but point out you have a dilute calico kitty like mine. They're a little uncommon, as they need a recessive gene so the black and red becomes buff and grey. As you can see, my kitty is one. She's a very outgoing little thing, and loves to curl up on my left shoulder.

May you continue to have a successful recovery. And keep the stories coming. ;)
 
Today marks two weeks since bilateral THRs. The physical therapist has moved on to applying more resistance to each exercise, and has added exercises. I am now doing Sidelying Leg Raises, Quad stretches, and Hamstring stretches. I am also concentrating on slowly starting any walking, to be sure that I do not shuffle or limp through the first few steps.

I have started sleeping on my sides, and comfortably. I have a body-sized pillow, the lower half of which is positioned between my knees. Sleep is now pure heaven...on my sides, as I prefer, and no hip pain with the body pressure on those areas.

My weight is now within 5 pounds of my pre-surgery weight, down from about 20 pounds over. Bruising has nearly vanished completely, and my "badges" have begun to transition from ghastly toward sexy. :) I feel wonderful, and am especially happy that the osteoarthritis pain is gone.

I feel so fortunate and grateful that recovery has been steady and positive. More to come...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom