THR Reflex on the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you ARE helping others by relating your experiences! I agree that severe, unrelenting physical pain trumps everything else, or at least, that is what I have observed in myself. We have to get beyond that to be able to deal with other issues. It sounds like you have an excellent handle on what you need to do to get healthy in all ways. It just takes awhile. At 5 weeks I still wasn't doing much besides self-care, getting things out of the fridge to eat, and moving from my bed to the kitchen, to the living room and back. During that week I weaned off of narcotic pain meds, but was by no means very mobile. Hang in there!
 
Anyone else feel really sick after a hip operation?
Felt sick whilst taking the medication but i stopped that a week and a half ago.
Appetite is not good and what I do manage to makes me feel sick.
Wake up feeling sick.
Going to go the doctors I think tomorrow.
 
Following doctors appointment no surprise that I have lost my appetite and feel sick with all the anxiety I have been through over the last few months.
This includes threat to my job in its current role, daughter going to university and the hip operation.
She suggested taking piriton at night to stimulate my appetite and multi vitamin tonic.
I am currently tapering from an antidepressant for the last 22 months at a very slow rate but have held at the same dose for the last 4 months in preparation for the life changes and operation. I'm a member of the surviving antidepressants forum and their advice is that my centralnervoussystem has been through a lot and to stabilise not take anything new or making any changes.
I am doing more physically trying some chair yoga and a walk a day.my mobility is improving daily for which I am grateful. Just need to find something to tempt my appetite.
 
Went out for a short drive today the first time in 6 weeks. Felt so good to have some independence back. Only drove two blocks to go and sit by the river for a while. Water always has a calming effect for me. Going to make it my mission to go out each day now . I'm fed up of hibernating.
Woke to anxiety and feelings of nausea again. Appetite still affected.
I've ordered a tonic and some ginger chews from Holland and Barrett to try to help with the nausea and dry retching and lack of appetite.
I've decided the worrying about it just makes it worse.
I have another physio next week. Going to ask for a stick and hand my crutches in. Really only need something when I first get up or when out for confidence.
When did others hand back their crutches?
 
I remember walking into my 6 week follow-up appointment post LTHR holding my cane but not using it. I didn't need any walking aides 6 weeks after my RTHR. Everyone is different though. Don't worry if you are still using crutches. For many it's a confidence thing.
 
I used crutches for one week and then switched to a cane. I was off all walking aids by four weeks post-THR. As Jaycey said, everyone (and every hip) is different. There's no reason to stop using crutches if you still need them. The important thing is to walk well, with no limp, with whatever aids you are using.
 
I wouldn't try to give them up and have new hip .. My doctor said it was too much and to stay on them as it is very hard going and u will need all the serotonin to can get !


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I feel sick but it's all the meds and
Constipation .. Plus I cannot actually get to the fridge to raid it if I wanted to . I think loss appetite normal .. I love my food but not fussed at the mo .. You have had a major trauma X


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Six weeks post surgery and I feel worse than the day after surgery.
Feel run down , no appetite , nausea and no energy.
I don't know what to do with myself to make myself feel better.
 
I was sick and nauseated while taking narcotics for post op pain. Once I got rid of it, my appetite came back, no constipation, no nausea and vomiting. Are you taking narcotics for pain?
 
@Dust
No I stopped the pain killers three weeks a go.
I am however taking antidepressant Prozac.
Think it's probably related to this.
Just feel rotten. It's not suppose to be like this post hip surgery . Thought I would be jumping around.
 
Hi, @Reflex! How unfortunate you are still feeling so badly. I was looking over my post-op notes recently and saw that I was still very tired much of the time at 6 weeks, so some amount of feeling tired is to be expected. But I definitely felt much better at 6 weeks than I did on Day 2. You say you are nauseated and have no appetite. That alone makes a person feel awful, especially if it continues over time! With nausea it is very difficult, but have you been eating well since the surgery? Without good nutrition, exhaustion is a definite result. Can you see a physician about your nausea and try to track down the source of it and treat it? You need to be eating well in order to recover properly and feel healthy.
 
Well beyond the six week mark post op thought I would be feeling so much better and energetic. I've read on here that others have even gone back to work.
The reality is I'm unwell, rundown, not eating properly, no appetite and feeling nausea.
I've been to the doctors for blood tests this week.
I think I thought that the six week mark would be a magical transformation. So what did I do over did it.
Driving , housework, staying up too late and it's all hit me like a tone of bricks.
Lesson to self slow and steady wins the race.
 
I think I thought that the six week mark would be a magical transformation.
Not so I am afraid. Although some do progress faster, many others don't. Please don't be discouraged. Keep going with the slow and steady approach. And do let us know about the results of your blood tests. Hope things ease for you quickly.
 
Hi everyone
8 weeks today I had my op.
I was fine for the first few weeks made a lot of progress but for the last three weeks I have felt unwell.
I know that this website is for surgery but I want to mention what I am experiencing relating to my central nervous system, tapering antidepressants, stress and surgery . I feel this is all related and if it helps anyone else I will be really pleased.
When searching I have found no posts of similar experiences . Probably because it is unusual.
I truly believed that it was just too much for my body to take all the stress I have been through in the last three months.
I can't sleep, have no appetite, hardly eating, agitated , anxious and fearful.
Despite blood tests and three doctor appointments with Gp they can find nothing wrong.
This is also having an impact on my hip recovery.
I went in the hydro pool at therapy yesterday was really lovely to be in water again. But always said on here if you push yourself in PT you feel it the next day. So resting up today. Unable to sleep but at least I can elevate and ice my leg.
Anyone had experience of surgery and taking antidepressants?
 
@Reflex so sorry you are still feeling unwell post-op. We have had a couple of members who experienced a form of PTSD post-op. This is major surgery and your body is quite traumatised by it all. Everyone reacts differently to this. Could PTSD be causing your feelings? Perhaps discuss this with your GP.

I'm going to tag @Me2 who was very traumatised by her first THR experience. She found a way to cope with this but it certainly did not come overnight.

I hope you can have further discussions with your GP. Please do keep us updated.
 
Hi @Reflex- I am 6 weeks postop so 2 weeks behind you and I take Zoloft. I've been on it for about 3 years now. I won't say that I feel unwell, but gosh the physical toll of this surgery is tough. I'm walking pretty well making slow progress but I just don't feel my normal peppy self yet. I was ecstatic the first 3 weeks postop because my new joint is pain free and I was anticipating all of the
Things that I could do shortly.

Now at 6 weeks I've had a bit of a reality check that it's going to take longer than I expect to get back to even 80%. In my mind I just want to say let's get back to normal now and get on with life but that is not my reality. If I'm honest about that it bothers me. I accept it but it disappoints me that I can't get moving as fast as I want to. Consequently I am not as motivated yet to do things as I normally am. I do my walking every day, but some days I just want to take it easy otherwise. Part of that is fatigue from the surgery. My opinion is that all of this is part of the healing process and will get better as time goes on. I'm trying not to be too hard in myself right now and you should not either. We both had major surgery and there's still healing going on inside.

I've only felt this way for a few weeks so I'm just doing lots of positive self talk, getting fresh air every day, taking my Zoloft every day, and hoping that this too shall pass.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @jaymo
Thanks for your response.
I am so scared and really unwell. Not so much with the hip which seems to be healing well. It's my mental state and physically unwell.
The lack of sleep is the worse. When I was taking the pain medication I had lovely deep sleep. Now I'm lucky if I get two hours sleep. This is not due to pain.
I believe I'm in withdrawal from either the pain killers or the impact the painkillers had on Prozac.
Are you still taking pain killers?
I'm going to try to be more positive today that this is going to pass.
I wish you well in your recovery.please keep in touch.
Reflex
 
I went for my check up with the consultant. He is really pleased with my progress and that I don't have to see him again for ten months, which will bet he yearly check and then at seven years. So that's that then.
I should be more happy but it's my mental state I now have to deal with.
Surgery is positive just wish it hadn't coincided with everything else I had to deal with life.
Good luck everyone wishing you well.
Reflex
 
@Reflex did you talk to your GP about PTSD? I really think you need to talk to someone. It's great your hip is healing but please take care of yourself. Get some help with this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom