Guest viewing is limited

TKR Redsing57 Straight knees for 2nd TKA

Good morning! I've read some articles here on magnesium. A pharmacist recommended I take half of a 250 mg tablet. My chiropractor said it wasnt nearly enough. Seemed like that small amount did help some. My quads have been sore and makes it hard to stand up from sitting. Once I'm up each step is easier. Any thoughts on amounts of magnesium or stories on what helps you? There's so much info out there...
 
@REDSING57 I've read your recovery posts with great enthusiasm. Like you and so many others, a MUA was approached with me a few days back by my OS and I freaked out. I'm still not totally recovered emotionally, physically, or mentally from my 2nd post-op visit on December 17th during which my OS raised the notion of the MUA. I just cannot fathom how and why he broached the issue...traumatized, I am..

You've given me encouragement. I've got more research to do and I know the wonderful and dedicated folks here on BoneSmart will help but I am 99% towards declining a MUA if/when it comes up on my January 7th follow-up visit...not gonna do it. I DO feel I'm recovering and improving even if my ROM doesn't show it. Other milestones DO confirm that I am ever-so-slowly showing little improvements.

And as you stated, I too LOVE the PT recumbent bike. My therapist tells me he loves the recumbent bike as a TKR recovery tool. After the first few minutes or so, I also find it soothing, relaxing...almost hypnotic like. And my right TKR and back seem to like it, too! Can't say the same for my destroyed LEFT knee, which is awaiting its replacement. As an aside, I was going to do my left knee in April 2020 but I've decided to wait 'til the fall.

Thanks again for your encouragement. Please keep up the good work and please keep us posted!
 
@tlfiore thx for your encouraging words! I'm smiling ear to ear! Love this forum and all the info and comraidee. I had never heard of MUA when my PT mentioned it, 2 weeks later my OS said I was doing fantastic. Go figure. Glad you're seeing progress doing well. Have a wonderful day
 
I don’t know much about magnesium.

My quads have been sore and makes it hard to stand up from sitting.
This is quite normal for your stage of recovery. Don’t stress over it, they will feel better and get stronger as you continue to heal.
 
5 months post TKA, 8 months post 1st TKA
Good morning! Thought I would post my recovery facts and thoughts. My first knee replacement was mid June 2019 and my 2nd knee replacement was mid September same year. Today I have a follow up with surgeon and am a little nervous. I always feel my efforts aren't enough and I've done something wrong and may get fussed at. Childish I know but there it is. I worried so much at first because I have trouble with extension on both knees but reading articles here on the forum have encouraged me greatly. I can bend very well in both knees, dont know ROM but I'm happy with them. Extension is rough but I still stretch periodically so the knees wont forget they're supposed to straighten fully some day. Pre surgery I could not straighten either knee for years. Bone spurs and arthritis crippled my knees. I ride my recumbent bike 30 minutes a day with some resistance. (The resistance is inside the bike and sometimes in me, haha, its boring!) It is stiff uncomfortable and no fun for the first 30 seconds or so on the bike then I just watch tv and keep cycling. I dont go fast, just keep going and it feels nice. I go upstairs foot over foot slowly and pull myself up a little with the banister. Leaning forward helps. It has gotten a tiny bit easier in the last month. Going downstairs I do a kind of crab walk holding onto the wall and rail and going foot over foot downstairs. If weather is an issue, forget it I'm going down one foot at a time because stiffness increases with air pressure changes outside. Hoisting myself up out of a chair is still no fun but it doesnt hurt as much lately. Those quads over my knees protest after sitting awhile. I have minor clicks and ache in right hip. I can walk for about 30 min before I need to sit down. I mostly focus on daily activities and am intentional to stand while cooking, cleaning, dressing, doing laundry and folding, talking with friends. Before surgeries I could stand about 1 to 2 minutes and could walk maybe 5 minutes before having to sit. I did most standing activities from a tall stool. Even tho I have a ways to go before I feel healed I feel so encouraged by my progress and am able to do so much more than pre surgery. I am so thankful to not worry nearly so much because of the articles here, the comments and experiences found here. Thoughts on this post are welcome.
 
Sounds like you’ve got improvement and a good strategy. I hope you get a good report from your surgeon, but if they make you feel bad, maybe they aren’t clear on your goals?
 
Just got back from appt. with surgeon. Everything went very well and he had some good reminders to walk more consistently maybe alternate days of walking vs recumbent bike. He was pleased with my bending capability and said keep stretching to reach full extension that I'm doing everything right. Next appt for 1 year checkup and xrays. Felt validated and hopeful. Really like him and staff.
 
Today I have a follow up with surgeon and am a little nervous. I always feel my efforts aren't enough and I've done something wrong and may get fussed at.
I totally understand, I felt the same way. I was following the Bonesmart approach to recovery and my surgeon had different ideas that I didn’t agree with.

This recovery is very individual and some of us just take longer than others. I was one of the slowest ones! But I had more improvement in my second year post op, as my whole leg continued to relax and my ROM improved, and, I’ve had even more improvement now in my third year post op.

So, keep the faith that where you are now is not where you will end up.
 
@Jockette thx for that post. Can't figure out how to quote haha! I was thinking in my head what if he fusses, what if he wants to do MUA, what if he....and I kept telling myself I feel better, I'm making great progress, the articles I've read let me know I'm normal in my improvement, if he is an @%# I dont have to see him again. I was afraid of conflict but my gut said he wouldn't do that. He is kind and my knees were so horrible when I first met him I was just trying to lose weight to have the surgery and he was like sure! Let's do this. I realize not everyone has the right dr for their needs but I can't say enough about this forum. To me, the underlying point in this forum is love yourself, listen to your body. We have amazing bodies we were given and a loving gentle approach to healing is one I can apply to every area in my life, not just my knees. Love and hugs!
 
PS @Jockette I'm so happy for your knee and your recovery. Your story is very encouraging. Congratulations in standing your ground. That's so cool how your body just keeps healing 1, 2 and 3 years later the ROM is better. That's not what I heard from PTs. I read an article here on the forum about a surgeon who told the audiencethat patients with TKA would never do well on stairs, would not run, and this member stood up, ran up some stairs with her TKA, showed the crowd what she could do to applause and a thunder faced dr who just got showed up. I laughed! Wish I could have seen that.
 
I can't believe it has almost been a year since my first tkr in June 2019. 2nd tkr in Sept. Thought I'd post how I'm doing lately. I think going up and down stairs is much smoother. When I go walking, our neighborhood is very hilly and I take my cane (I never use it inside). I love going uphill, somehow I feel normal and strong. Going downhill is tough but I focus on heel first, use my cane and take my time. Going on walks I focus on heel first due to extension issues.

My bend in both knees is really good but extension is not 100%. Last appt. with dr he said it was about 10-12° each knee. Every morning with my cup of coffee, I put a folding chair in front of me and put both heels up on the chair to let my knees stretch for as long as I can stand it. Sometimes it is 20 minutes sometimes 45 minutes. I usually read during that time. I also do the recumbent bike for 30 minutes with increased resistance. It usually is uncomfortable at first but soon my legs get in a rhythm and the rotation is soothing and nice. Btw I don't do walking and bike the same days. Somedays I just watch more tv and forget about it. Bike while watching a show makes time pass.

It is still a struggle to stand when I've been sitting a while, quads protest loudly. I'm working on standing up straight. Since knees don't straighten all the way, I tend to slouch to compensate. I sometimes forget that and have minor backaches. If I stand up straight it helps but habits are tough. My spouse was extremely sick this week and I had more responsibility for trash, doggy duty, cleaning, plus taking care of him (a little-my son helped tremendously).

This week I saw how much I am NOT 100%. I still tire easily, my stamina is not great. However there were moments I caught myself still standing, still taking care of things when months ago I could not have done that. I have gained a little bit of weight but working on that too. I've come a long way but still feel like I have a long way to go. I also found YouTube videos with advanced exercises post TKA and I did them more easily than I thought I could. My goal is to do them a few times a week, and see if they help. Comments welcome.
 
Extension was slow coming in for me, too. What helped me most was taking long strides with a heel to toe gait. This helps to stretch out those muscles and tendons in the back of the knee. There are really large and took quite a while to achieve my 0 extension, but I finally did. I found walking with the longer stride hurt less than the extension exercises did.

You've had two major surgeries in less than a year, so it's going to take a while for your stamina to come back. Rest as much as you can. This will give your body more time to recoup.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom