Guest viewing is limited

Red Cord PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhilltop

senior
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
325
Age
72
Location
US
Gender
Female
Do any of you have experience with Red Cord PT? I'd love to hear from you about your experience.
 
I haven't had a experience but welcome to the site. Take care Keep us informed how you are doing. Tashia
 
Tashia,
You've had quite a run of medical ordeals. - cancer, rknee, rhip, lknee - I hope you can wait before needing a lhip. My mother and sister have battled cancer. Mom is close to a 30 year survivor.
 
Can you explain a little about what this is???
 
I'll start with my brief experience and then I'll make time soon to copy from a brochure I picked up about it.

In addition to my TKR adventures, my husband has had hip replacement adventures that weren't real fun. It didn't seem to help him gain ROM and then it started hurting. They did tests, but couldn't see anything wrong other than there was a slight shadow to the xray suggesting a shaft was loose. They went in and found infection, which postponed the revision surgery for 3 months, and finally when it was done, the PT he went to used theRed Cord therapy and in no time he had motion in his hip he hadn't known for about 5 years. He was ELATED!

That was about as much as I knew when I left the care of the home bound therapist that came to me for PT after my TKR. My surgeon (OS) told me to get out and find a facility with more tools to work with than I had in my home. My OS also gave me 2 weeks to show improvement or he'd need to schedule a manipulation (MUA.) At that point I only had (-5,75) ROM. My knee was STIFF.

The Red Cord PT at that point gave me 2 sessions and as I feared, my knee was not about to budge. She also gave me a muscle electrode stimulus device to use as long as I needed it. It has been an hour drive to get to their office, so I didn't jump right back there. Though my OS got it to (0,130) in the MUA procedure, 3 days later it had swollen and was (-15,90). It pretty much stayed there for the next month.

I've had PT closer to home in the interim, but I'm back to the Red Cord now and plan to be for the next month, maybe longer, while trying to decide if I might still need to consider scar tissue removal surgery. My ROM presently is finally back to, and up to (-5,105.) I'm not doing well with stairs, yet and I'm 7 months post op.

Red Cord utilizes a series of ropes, straps, bungies, belts and overhead pulleys and support beams that allows the trained therapist to really see which muscles are doing the work and which ones are leaning on others to do the work. The therapist then utilizes this information to target muscle exercises that strengthen, stretch and retrain them to do the work they should be doing. I rarely feel overworked in a session, but my muscles tend to tell me they've had a good workout the next day. www.redcord.com has several photos of their bright red Norwegian designed apparatus in use. They are made in New Jersey in the US.
 
How did you find out where they are located near you, I couldn't find that at their site. Looks interesting!
 
I think we were lucky to live where we do and Red Cord happened to be where my husband decided to go to PT before they moved further from us. I can ask next week if my PT knows of a directory. Looks like you are in northern Idaho? I'll be surprised if they are even in every state.
 
Benefits of Neurac (Neuromuscular Activation) taken from their promotional flier

Nuerac is an innovative stabilization exercise and muscle activation, technique, developed in Norway. Experience in 25 countries is a testament to the effectiveness of Neurac. The neurac practioner can identify muscle imbalances and successfully activate deep "stabilizing" muscles to restore core stability and address a wide range of neuromuscular dysfunction. The Neurac technique utilizes, highly specialized Redcord equipment which is unique because it allows trained professionals, to evaluate core and joint instability in patients of all ability levels. Neurac facilitates precisely graded stabilizing exercises that activate and strengthen weak or inactive muscles, restore proper function, and reduce muscle pain and discomfort.

(More to come)
 
Yes, I am in Northern Idaho, but very close to Spokane, Washington, so that is also an option.
 
Not convinced ... but then I'm old school! :snork: I think I'd add it to the box of things starting with the Atkins diet!
 
60Mom, this is primarily for you, though perhaps others will later find it of interest. I haven't had time to finish copying the description from their brochure, but I will.

My Red Cord PT inquired about Redcord in Washington. This is their reply:

We don't yet have any PT's in Washington practicing with Redcord; however Herriott Sports Performance in Seattle (www.hspseattle.com) has Redcord equipment installed and we will soon be running some of our educational courses there. We are coordinating dates for the 2nd half of this year as we speak.

Hayley

Hayley Conboy
Director of Education
Redcord USA
800 Bunn Drive
Princeton, NJ 08540
Cell: (610) 952-7544
Work: (609) 683-1110
E-Mail: hconboy@redcord.us
Redcord Website: broken link removed: https://www.redcord.us
Clinic Website: broken link removed: https://www.neuracpt.com
 
I've used Red Cord for close to a year and have my own ropes set up in my home

Here is a link to a youtube clip about Red Cord. Like all PT, you will see it isn't just about surgery recovery. I have found that Kristina, my Red Cord therapist, could provide me with a lot of detail on muscle awareness and what exercises would address the issues I was facing.



Check it out!
 
I watched the video and I'm really intrigued….and will look for more information. Thanks for sharing!
 
LTR, when you find more information, please post it in this thread. Thanks.
 
In some ways it appears very similar to a Pilates reformer. I started back, cautiously, on the reformer at 4 weeks.. For me, it has been very beneficial.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: pdx
I just found this about Pilates on the Neurac/Red Cord website - guess they are related.
broken link removed: https://neuracpt.com/index-4.html

PILATES is a system of "mind-body" exercise that has evolved from the principles of Joseph Pilates. At the Neurac Institute we practice a contemporary style of Pilates that comes from Body Arts and Science International (BASI). The routines consist of a series of exercises performed on specialized equipment, such as a Pilates Reformer, that utilizes metal springs and the user's own bodyweight as resistance. Pilates can dramatically transform the way someone looks, feels and performs. It builds a stable core - flat abdominals and a strong back - while promoting better body awareness, quality of movement, balance, breathing strategies, and postural control and alignment. At the Neurac Institute we have two Certified Pilates Instructors. We integrate Pilates into our physical therapy treatments, fitness routines and sports conditioning regimens. Additionally, we offer an exclusive exercise program designed specifically for breast cancer survivors who have undergone surgery.
 
Joseph Pilates basically took an old hospital bed with springs and reengineered it. He was working with British soldiers in hospitals during WW1. He recognized the wounded soldiers needed exercise to help them rehabilitate and help prevent muscle atrophy. The reformer works with a padded carriage that you stand/lie/knee/sit on and a series of resistance loaded springs. Almost all the beginner classes have the client laying down. As you get stronger and advance, you do more. I can now do a modified version of the Russian splits. I am thrilled just to use the words I and splits in the same sentence. Anybody, any age can participate because it is so easy to modify the resistance and the body part. There is no stress on joints. There are lots of good videos on YouTube. Lessons can be group or private. Some PT practices incorporate it as part of their protocol. It's worth investigating. Unlike a gym, where almost anyone can complete an online
Class and be called a trainer, Pilates training involves working with clients, education, and a written test.
I have been doing it for almost 4 years. In my particular situation, I was unhappy with PT and because the studio I go to has lots of us "olders", the instructor is certified in knee/hip replacement. I went back to Pilates very early and we worked very slowly. I am 20 weeks or so now and my flexibility, range of motion, and extension are very good.
 
Thanks for the background information. It's great to know it has helped you.

Splits - huh??? Don't think I could do them before or after. Good for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom