PKR Recovery Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to share with any one who is contemplating partial knee replacement to be SURE you want to do it. I had 2 partials on July 15, 2013 and I have had nothing but misery ever since. If only I had known.....:hairpulling:
 
I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems. I don't think they're insurmountable and I don't think they will last for ever.

Are you still having pain? Have you been back to your surgeon and asked if anything can be done about the knee that he said was "too tight"? Ask for help. Ask for another opinion.

I really believe that part of your problem is that you were set up, with wrong advice initially, to expect a quick and painless recovery. That isn't your fault but, unfortunately, it led you to expect a much easier time than you have had. Unfortunately, with any knee replacement, be it partial or full, recovery is neither quick nor painless.

On top of that, you lost your mother and you are still grieving for her, so you've been hit with a double whammy. I wonder if you think some counseling might help you through the grief process?

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
 
Celle, Thanks for you kind reply. No one I live with can understand how it really is. I just wish I knew for sure I will ever be pain free again. The part of my knee that was not replaced is the part that hurts the most.It feels like it was just cut or torn. I think if I would have had a full replacement I would feel better. All I can think about is that part developing arthritis ,like the therapist said it would. I also wish I had at least waited to have surgery till my grief was less. I had NO idea the surgery would be this intense. As for going back to surgeon, I am told by others that it will take a year to get pain free. I am not sure I can take the pain for that long, but I guess I have no choice. Is it as bad when you went from partial to full as it was the first time you had partial? I don't think I can ever face a surgery like this again...rlucillem
 
Hi again,
It shouldn't really take a year to get pain free. It could take a year for your knees to finish healing, but they shouldn't hurt you for all of that time.

There's no absolute given that the other half of your knees will ever develop arthritis - and no guarantee that they won't. It's a possibility, but not inevitable. If you can, do try not to worry about that right now.

When I had to go from partial to full replacement, I was scared. I imagined a recovery like the one I had for the partial, only worse. It wasn't like I imagined! If anything, my recovery was better, because I was better prepared for it. I had found BoneSmart and taken all the advice here to heart. I knew all about elevating and icing the second time around, which I had not known about the first time. I knew about pacing myself, resting plenty and taking my medications by the clock. It made a huge difference and I actually felt as though my recovery was easier.

Don't go rushing into a revision to full replacements just because I told you that! If you can hang in here and give those partials a chance to settle in and for your knees to heal, you might feel better about them in a few months. I do think that going back to your surgeon might reassure you right now, though. He will be able to check that there is nothing wrong with the replacements, or with the other compartments in your knees.

It's really hard to lose your mother and that happened at a particularly bad time for you. You'll always miss her but, if it's any consolation, the acute pain of your loss will decrease as time goes by.

Did you know that most of us have a period during our recovery when we get quite depressed? It comes with the territory and is often part of the recovery process. It's like the after-baby blues, only worse! Couple that with grieving for your mother, and it's no wonder that you feel down! Can you talk to your own doctor about that? Maybe he can suggest some short-term medication that will help you get out of the pit of despair?

I wish you all the best and I really hope that you start to feel better soon. Meanwhile, keep talking to us. We're here to listen!
 
I had a Left TKR and a Right Partial (patella) Replacement on June 25th. i was in the hospital for 3 days and rehab for 12 (no one at home to help and 18 stairs to go up and down). While in the hospital i had the morphine pump, Polar Care ice cuffs, and the cpm that would be switched from one leg the other. there was a ton of pain, bitching at the nurses (they wouldn't listen as to when I wanted to get up, not on their schedule, i won :) ). In rehab i was taking 10mg percocets every 4 hrs along with the same Icing and cpm machine. i would rotate the cpm by myself and adjust it as the knees would allow. i was pretty much out of it most of the time at rehab. just let the ice/cpm do the work while i slept most of the time. At home, in the beginning i was doing the 5mg every 4 hrs, icing, elevating etc. i did have to go up and down the stairs several times a day with the dogs. i did get calluses on my hands from the railings. stairs were not fun. they are still my nemesis (actually, any change in elevation now. i did better a month or so ago then now). in the beginning i would say i had a bunch more pain with the full then the partial. it was and still is behind in the ROM area. But from what i understand from the DR, the full should only have a ROM of 125, last time i was measured we got 127 out of it. the partial is at 137. Almost 5 months post surgery, walking is not an issue. Pain-wise, i would say right now, at therapy, i have more pain with the partial then the full. it is a different pain. maybe full cut more nerves and i can't feel it so much over there. i can stand still (filing) for 20-30 minutes with no pain but feel a little like the Tinman when i first walk after standing still. i went back to work (desk jockey) about 6 weeks post op. out of my 30 sessions/yr of therapy, i have 5 left. (2x/week) i take(when i remember) a 5mg percocet when i leave work before therapy, ice/stem there, then another percocet at bedtime and fall asleep with ice pack(s) on knee(s) depending on how much they hurt. Usually wake up 4 hrs later to take them off. i tried to talk the dr into doing 2 TKR's but i guess since i've never really had any issues with the Right knee, he could justify doing it. I don't look forward in the future(if need be) to have another TKR, but, if having it done will allow me to continue to live the quality of life i want, i'll do it (provided Obamacare doesn't totally F* up the insurance).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom