PKR Recovery Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rlucillem
We have all had our down days, some more than others because that is what life dealt us. I try to take comfort in knowing my mom is watching over me even if she can't be here. My dad is still with me and we have our challenges, but he would be the first one to say the wrong one went first. Many days I think it is so unfair she was taken so young (70). One thing I have found helpful is to keep a journal of my recovery. I also use my thread on this forum to keep track of all of my little victories. It really helps on the down days to be able to look back and see all of my progress when it seems like none is happening. I actually am amazed when I see how much I can do today 10 weeks out than I could that first week just getting exhausted by trying to stand. That way you can track your own progress and not compare what is happening for others. Its been a hard road for me to watch others do things for me, but I realized if I keep pushing it will take even longer to recover. For many of us we went forward with the surgery because we are active and want to stay that way or get back to that way of life. Try to look for the small rays of sun and before you know it, you will be on the way to recovery. There is no rainbow without the rain and sun together.
Hugs
Stacie
 
Rlucillem.....I understand about the loss of your mom. When my mother died in 1999, I really felt totally lost for quite a while. But I agree with Stacie that she is watching over you every single day. She still lives in your heart and if you need to talk with her, find a quiet place and do it. She'll hear your thoughts.

I am concerned that you are trying to push yourself too much. If you are in pain, you need to be on pain medication. And you should be spending a good amount of time resting, icing and elevating your knees. When you "elevate," merely putting a pillow under your leg is not enough. You need to get your toes above your nose. This and the icing really will help with swelling, which is probably what is causing your pain. Even if you don't see it (the knee compartment is very compact and only minor swelling there can cause some pretty significant pain), the fluid is probably there.

Did you have a chance to read the articles provided from our Library? The information there is really critical for you!!
 
Staci ... I am so sorry you lost your mom at such a young age. I know I was fortunate to have mine as long as I did, but it is still HARD. As for keeping a journal, I hope I never have to think about all I've been through ever again, much less see it in writing. I know everyone is different . Sometimes I think I am losing my mind. I am trying to resign myself to never being normal again. I had too high of hopes that this surgery would take away the pain. I should have known from past experiences, this would not turn out good either. I am tempted to think I was born under a curse or something. I have learned my lesson to NEVER try something like this with hopes of it going like it does for everyone else. I had several people tell me to have the surgery it will be the best thing you have ever done and it is so great and you will feel so much better and bla bla..... and these were people who had it done too. Well so far it has been the biggest mistake I ever made in my entire life. Thanks for your support.
 
Jamie.. thanks for your suggestions. It seems nothing works for me like it does for others. Mo one told me about elevating my legs. I tried it for a while this morning and it didn't help at all. It is like I said in my last quote....I am trying to resign myself to a life of misery from being cut and messed with. The therapist told me that since my knees were operated on , the other side of the knees will develop arthritis and will need replacements too. The people who die young are spared a lot.
 
Hey Folks, Check out this link broken link removed: https://stemmds.com/ Did we get our surgery too soon? This is the method
I was hoping for and asked my surgeon about. He said it won't happen in your life time.
 
Hey Folks, Check out this link broken link removed: https://stemmds.com/ Did we get our surgery too soon? This is the method
I was hoping for and asked my surgeon about. He said it won't happen in your life time.

This is very forward looking, and correct that it may not happen in our lifetime. By the same token, you can always hope for a device that they hold over you and then you are cured, like Dr McCoy uses in Star Trek :) The scalpel and bone saw will probably be around for a while.
 
Mo one told me about elevating my legs. I tried it for a while this morning and it didn't help at all.
I think you need to do this more than once. Keep doing it, along with icing.

The therapist told me that since my knees were operated on , the other side of the knees will develop arthritis and will need replacements too.
Not necessarily. The other side could be perfectly healthy. What does your DR say?
 
Rlucillem, many people are told, quite wrongly I believe, that recovery from a partial will be easy. It won't be easy and it isn't . :sorry: I do wish people wouldn't tell PKR patients that their recovery will be easy - it just sets you up for false hopes and disappointment!
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your recovery will take you just as long as if you had had a full knee replacement. In addition, you've had 2 replacements, so the drain on your energy will be much greater. Having two knees done is much harder in every way than having one done.

I had a partial replacement (said to be minimally invasive), followed 11 years later by a full replacement. As I recall, there was just as much pain, swelling and stiffness with the partial as with the full replacement and it took me about the same length of time to become mobile and self-sufficient. Even though your incision may be smaller, you were still cut, part of your bones was removed and then the replacement parts were hammered into place. No wonder we get pain after that!

As well, you are younger than most of us who have a replacement and, for some reason I can't explain, younger people seem to have more pain. Maybe the nerves that experience pain get less sensitive with age, I don't know, but I've read that younger people do experience more pain. Also, because they are young and fit, they sometimes expect to bounce back quickly from the surgery and get worried when this doesn't happen.

Full recovery from a knee replacement can take a year or even longer. No one can predict how long it will take until you feel a definite improvement but be sure that it really does get better. We've all had to learn that the knee is in charge and we have to learn patience - a very difficult lesson for most of us.

I know that at this stage you feel that you will never be right again. It's hard, but do try not to worry - give it time and you will definitely improve. Most of us have been through the stage of wondering why on earth we ever got those darn knee replacement, but our attitudes changed as time passed. We all felt weepy at times, too - that's normal. Depression and sleeplessness come along for the ride for most of us - but they do pass.

Are you still in pain? If so, you should still be taking medication. I see you mentioned drug withdrawal. I guess your doctors have you off the narcotics by now, but there's nothing wrong with still needing Tylenol or something similar.

Hang in there! :console2: Truly, it will get better.
Best wishes,
Caryl
 
Caryl, Can you tell me why you needed a full replacement only 11 years later? Is it because the other side of the knee went bad? I WORRY constantly that will happen to me. I still have pain and stiffness and it has been over 3 months. If I ever have to have knee replacements again, well I hope I don't live that long. It was a terrible mistake to get it done, the biggest mistake I ever made in my whole life so far. I can't do hardly anything till my left foot swells and I am so miserable. Will I ever be like I was before surgery? If ONLY I had known. Rlucillem..
 
You just go ahead and cry when you need to for as long as you need to. I had many of good crys after surgery some where my husband just didnt get it.. the one while watching a Waltons 're run ... you will get this and lol now you have all of us on your team who can all say we have been there yet we all recover differently. I would try ice a little more ,I thought as you did that is was not helping but I started doing it more each day and it really does help.
I am very sorry for your loss and pray for your strength to heal in both body and spirit.
 
I thought I would chime in here, as I had a single partial 4 weeks ago. Everybody's advice above is dead on, but some things to consider.

1) 40lb weight loss. This struck me, as at 4 weeks with 1 knee I am at 22 lbs of weight loss. I have had a fine appetite, have eaten well (had steak the night I went home from the hospital on day 3) and no illness. A knee replacement (PKR or TKR) takes it out of you hard, 2 of them, doubly so...

2) Business owner. I am at least graced with a business that I can run from anywhere I have a cell phone and an internet connection. I was sitting in bed taking orders and doing tech support the morning after the surgery, and was, for the most part, making sense. I know exactly what you are going through trying to keep up with things, and all I can say is now is the time to start offloading more onto employees. If you don't have employees, start thinking about getting some...

3. Both knees.... Ok, words fail me here. I have been getting around fairly well with one good leg, I am not entirely sure what I would be doing if BOTH were down hard. I got nuthin... However, I would suspect that the fact you don't have a good one to work with, plus trying to keep up with business and farm is not helping to say the least.

Finally. I had an accident that precipitated the replacement, and convalesced and worked on recovery for 11 months before giving into the dark side (replacement). Every day has been improvement since the (admittedly bad point) of surgery, and in the days (months) after the accident I was making progress that could be measured only by a micrometer, if that. The difference between the rate of recovery of the surgery, and the past year's recovery after the accident have been a source of high spirits for me (somethings HAPPENING!!) that I know you don't have.

It will get better.
 
Thanks for the encouragement! Were you told that you will need a full replacement down the road some day? The thought of that scares me to death!
 
Caryl, Can you tell me why you needed a full replacement only 11 years later? Is it because the other side of the knee went bad? I WORRY constantly that will happen to me. I still have pain and stiffness and it has been over 3 months. If I ever have to have knee replacements again, well I hope I don't live that long. It was a terrible mistake to get it done, the biggest mistake I ever made in my whole life so far. I can't do hardly anything till my left foot swells and I am so miserable. Will I ever be like I was before surgery? If ONLY I had known. Rlucillem..

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner - I've only just seen your question.
No, the other side of my knee didn't go wrong.

I had 11 great years out of that PKR and I really used it with no limitations. I travelled the world, did plenty of exercise and hardly gave it a thought. Then, one day as I was walking faster than usual (almost speed-walking) the plastic spacer between the two metal components broke, leaving me unable to walk. I had no previous problems, but what I think happened was that constant wear and tear had worn down the spacer and the sudden stress of speed walking broke it. At surgery, my surgeon found two pieces of the spacer. The third piece is still "at large", hidden in the soft tissues behind my knee - the surgeon could not find it during the operation, even though the x-rays showed him where to look. If I'd had prior warning that the spacer had thinned and the joint was loosening, it's possible that I might have been able to just have the spacer replaced - but I didn't.

What happened to me was very unusual, so don't go thinking that it could happen to you!

I know you're feeling sore and miserable right now but please be assured that it won't be like that for ever! Things truly will get better. You won't just be like you were before surgery - you will be better. But it does take time. Hang in there! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the encouragement! Were you told that you will need a full replacement down the road some day? The thought of that scares me to death!


My Dr said she could not guarantee the normal 90% @ 15 years. I am a big guy (about 270# normally, although vertically challenged) and am very active. I move quick for a guy my weight and as a friend (no really..) once said, I am the most in shape fat guy he knows.

Like Celle, I plan on using my knee without limitations, I occasionally fly aircraft that require a parachute, and while I probably would not like what the landing would do to my knee, it beats digging a hole with the plane and I do not intend on stopping flying. I walk a LOT, and plan on continuing to, and also to start biking more. I sold my Miata (ok, I gave it to my wife and we sold hers) and that is absolutely as far as I intend to go with making allowances. I did get an M6, so it wasn't a total loss. I would feel awfully silly if I babied the knee trying to make it last 20 years and got totaled by someone running a red light.

If it wears out, the next one will be better.
 
If it wears out, the next one will be better.

Oh, and having a revision to a full TKR was nowhere as bad as my imagination expected it to be! I got myself really worked up about it, to such an extent that after I actually had the revision I was thinking "Is that what I was worrying about?"

My "next one" is great - not that the first one was at all bad!
 
Could some one please tell me if I am normal and will ever get rid of this terrible post operative pain?? I had surgery July 15 2013 and I am still having very bothersome misery in my left knee. I had 2 partials. I can't live like this much longer. The surgeon told me he got the left knee too tight. I would NEVER NEVER recommend knee replacements. I have suffered enough pain since to equal 15 years of the pre-op pain. What is wrong? Please help.
 
If your surgeon admits that he got the left knee "too tight," what does he propose be done about it?

Unfortunately sometimes partial TKRs do have pain after surgery. Since only part of the knee joint is replaced, it is possible to get arthritis in the areas that were not. If you are in a lot of pain, you must be persistent with your surgeon or seek another opinion of the problem.

I say this with the assumption that you have not pushed yourself too hard in your recovery......maybe you should tell me a bit about your activity level now in during the past two months.
 
I had partial knee replacement on Oct 17. Doctor gave me a cd about Makoplasty. All the stories on that cd claim miraculous cures in 2-4 weeks. I am on day 17 and still have pain. I gave up the walker on day 3 and pain meds (except at night) on day 7. I have about 110 degrees of bend. I think I am probably a little ahead of the NORMAL recovery period but miles from their miraculous cures. I think I would have handled this better if I was given a clearer picture of the recovery period.
 
My Dr (Mayo Clinic) was very clear with me that it would take me 3 months to get back to the place I was at before the surgery (about 75% recovery after the accident), and longer to get back to 100%. I have been quite thankful that she was very open about the recovery, and have been running a fair amount ahead of the curve for most of the time. As far as pain management goes, all of the advice you see here is spot on. Some of it doesn't work (the ice machine was a complete washout for me), but rest, ice and elevation is the mantra of this year. I found a wedge pillow to be one of the best investments I have made. It will get better.

One thing she was VERY clear about was not to rush recovery to the point you inflamed the non-replaced section of the joint. She said that could set recovery back a significant (read weeks or even months) amount...
 
You're lucky to have an OS who understands recovery and gives you a realistic view regarding it. So between her and BoneSmart, you should have it made : ) !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom