THR Recovery stage 2

Also, when someone "tags" you, you will see it in the Alerts at the top of the page. In fact I will "like" your post by clicking on the thumbs up, and you will see an Alert. Then like @zauberflöte said, if you use the "at" sign and start typing a name like I did with hers, the names starting with those letters pop up and you click on the correct one. I will tag You here @april26 and wish you a speedy recovery. Each day gets better and better and before you know, it you will be walking all around pain free and no aids!!
 
Sounds as though your progressing normally. Definitely some frustrations early on!
Wishing you a great week, with a feeling of accomplishment.
Best wishes for continued healing! @april26
 
Stitches out tomorrow so that should feel different again.
 
Sleep or lack of it is my biggest barrier to recovery at the moment. I'm wondering about buying the slumber pillow as I'm in the uk and its next day delivery? Anyone got any thoughts. My worry is breaking hip precautions accidentally. My operation was at the Royal Orthopaedic hospital in Birmingham and I have great faith in their advice and their reputation is top class.
 
I really wouldn't start buying things on the off-chance that they will help. This sleep disturbance won't last much longer.
 
Not familiar with slumber pillow but remember the first month I really never slept well at night at all. I did however nap in my recliner every chance I got, which was alot.
Yay for stitches out.
Onward and upward.
 
Haven’t been on for quite a while. 9 weeks post THR now and feel the need to get back in touch with everyone again. Those first days and weeks seem so far away but I need to remind myself how big an op this was. I’ve plateaued now. Between 4 and 6 weeks...can’t believe the changes. Still knew I’d had a major op but was recovering well. Steady progress. Week 6 check up ok, although only a cursory check of mobility and all done in 10mins.

Week 6 to 7...WOW. New woman syndrome. Whole new range of movement possible, including driving, albeit short local only. Aaaagh.

Weeks 7 to now feel more uncomfortable than week 6, stiff, heavy, twinges that are totally new, aches in back of the knee of my unoperated leg, numbness and generally ‘not right’ like before. It's like a slap in the face for lulling myself into a false sense of recovery. Maybe a warning to slow down. Perhaps just my body reminding me this was big stuff happening to my body.

Only problem is I’ve got back to ‘normality’ and because I put up with the discomfort and pain from arthritis pre THR, I’m finding it hard to stop and get back to convalescing. Any ideas appreciated. I hope all my fellow hippies are making good recoveries.

UK Royal Orthopaedic Birmingham 9th August
 
Hi @april26
Sorry to hear you feel like you're taking steps backward.
Is it a possibility you've been too aggressive, too soon?
I don't find it strange you have different aches, pains and sensations if they're short lived.
It's still early days of recovery. If it's the same spot and lingering pain.. possibly Josephine could shed some light....
Best wishes all calms down and you continue to progress.
A great weekend to you.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I’m finding it hard to stop and get back to convalescing.
Most likely you are trying to do way too much too soon, suggest you get back to convalescing. You may want to go back and read the post op recommendations posted earlier in your thread.
 
Thanks everyone. You’ve confirmed my advice to myself about returning to convalescing. Said to my partner this morning it’s silly to have gone through all this only to spoil it and maybe even cancel out the benefits by rushing things. I’ve spent today so far thinking consciously about all my ‘actions’. I’m going to make a list and post them because I’m sure some are contributing to my regression.
 
@april26 Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying it again another day. Don't be discouraged - recovery doesn't follow a straight line. You'll get there!
 
Said to my partner this morning it’s silly to have gone through all this only to spoil it and maybe even cancel out the benefits by rushing things.
Well you got that right! You're still only 9 weeks out so slow down and take it easy! You're not doing any exercising, are you?
 
Certainly hard when we go to feeling better not to overdo.
But less IS more at third point.
Patience is the hardest thing to practice.
Hope your weekend is relaxing.
 
12 weeks post op and really getting worried about strange feelings in BOTH legs. Not pain but like my legs won’t hold me up properly sometimes. Other times it’s more a feeling of extreme aches...again, not pain though. Sleep on both sides now but sounds silly. My waist hurts in the morning on my operated side so tried going on my back again and wasn’t as bad then.
Anyone else had this?
 
I found that it took several months to get things sorted out. First was recovery from the surgery stuff, then there was the issue of my body adjusting to moving correctly (non surgical side got thrown off from compensating for surgical). Now that my right hip is deciding to go on me, I get new twinges on my LTHR, which is coming from gait changes. Oh, and regarding the aches--I think I read on hear somewhere in the literature that aches are really part of pain. . . . it takes time for all of the soft tissues to heal.
 
April - I feel you. I suffered from soreness in both legs until recently (my surgery was late June, 2017). My soreness has gotten MUCH better and I expect it to get even better at the six month mark. Hope this helps.
 
Other times it’s more a feeling of extreme aches...again, not pain though - tried going on my back again and wasn’t as bad then.
One thing you need to remember is that aching IS pain and so you need to take medications for it. Even a couple of paracetamol would do.
 
Returning to posts. Both my legs are getting worse. Feels like they’re just not right. My non operated leg’s ankle gets a bit swollen even.
 
Hi @april26
I'm truly sorry you feel as though your recovery is in decline.
I noticed Josephine posed questions at an earlier date but it doesn't appear you answered them entirely.
We can only offer you sympathy which may help emotionally but not physically. Josephine our Nurse Director is an orthopedic nurse with many years experience. She'll likely identify your problem which can work toward you getting the help you need to progress. I hesitate to tag her but will do so with the hope you'll respond to her questions in the way she needs you to so you can move forward in recovery. Wishing you comfort.
@Josephine
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom