TKR Recovery Confusion

As soon as I arrived, I was handed a strap to do heel slide reps and then turn over and do them pulling my leg backwards. I even was put on some kind of a reverse leg press machine to do weighted squats. I was put on a treadmill that was turned off and I had to use my own leg strength to make it move. And that’s just a small sampling with many more! I feel so stupid for having such blind trust!!
This absolutely horrible at a 3 week old knee! That therapist knows nothing of the up-to-date treatment of a joint replacement. He has done your knee more harm than good. Thank God you found us and have learned the Bonesmart way.

I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he was interested in was to see what my knee would do and never measured. He never even asked about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself and obviously trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need formal PT, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
 
I still massage 2x a day -- when I first get up in the morning and before I exercise.
What does that massage entail?

It's pretty simple: 30 long strokes up the sides and front of my thigh, then 30 strokes up the sides and back of my calf. (My PT said to always "go north" with the strokes). At the beginning, I used some lotion and very light pressure because it was uncomfortable, but have been able to increase the pressure over time and don't really need the lotion now that the muscles have loosened up.
 
Tryhard: Just reading your account of your experience made me cringe...I'm so sorry for your experience. It's really difficult to decline certain treatments...remember, you live in that body. Go slowly, I'm glad you are here.
 
Hi again @Tryhard

You really have had quite the journey so far. I agree with Jockette and the word aggressive shouldn't be applied to any of your recovery treatments right now!
I just wanted to say, if you know of a good massage therapist, don't rule out going due to not having the ability to lie prone on the table. Any LMT worth their salt will be able to work on you while ensuring you are comfortable.
Please consider the Lymph drainage techniques i shared with you, that will help move some of the inflammation out of that knee..

Wishing you the best..

I'm so inspired by everyone here! I actually just called a medical massage establishment near me that specializes in lymphatic drainage. I have an appointment next week. I'm determined to loosen up the tissue in my knee. It really is shockingly tight and I'm sure just simply traumatized. Every day that I wake up and don't have to go to PT torture, my leg feels a bit less painful. I'm spending lots of time just massaging in gentle upward motions hoping to push some of the fluid out. I'm a little uneasy about my inability to bend it very far, but I'm reminding myself to be patient. That has not been the mentality up to now.

Quick ?.... does anyone have what feels like a ridge of swelling just above the knee? I'm working to loosen it but it doesn't really go away.
 
does anyone have what feels like a ridge of swelling just above the knee?
I have a hard vertical ridge just at the top of my incision. I imagine it's tissue/tendon that's been sewn/glued and hasn't settled yet. It's not painful for me but feel weird when I touch it.
 
I also have an odd feeling at the top of the incision. Although I am certain it is not the case, it feels as if a two by one by an eighth inch dressing is under the skin. A denser area I can feel with my finger tips. I assume it is something inside that is taking longer to settle. Most noticeable when my leg is straight, not painfull.
 
I also had a hard area above my incision for months. It want away by itself as I healed.
 
There are internal sutures that you may be feeling as a "hard ridge" and they will slowly disappear.

Your knee is hard as a result of the trauma and swelling. That too will improve with time and slow, gentle massage on the area. I'm pleased you were able to find a better therapist and a lymphatic massage specialist. You've been through two major traumas in a short period of time - first the surgery itself and then the aggressive therapist. So it's going to take lots of time and patience on your part to see progress. But it will come. You are in charge now and you're doing all the right things. Hang in there and know that we're always here for you.
 
I am so happy to read this! I think you will enjoy your MLD treatment, for several reasons.
It’s good that you are seeing and feeling some positive change to your inflamed knee, you will recover and hopefully that earlier part of of your post op experience will become a dim memory.
@Tryhard
 
It sounds like you are recovering from those 90 minute boot camp sessions now. I agree with others who said gentle massage (rather than "aggressive") may help loosen things up.
 
My baby 30 min sessions sometimes swell me up like crazy. Im glad that you got some different folks workin on ya. Good luck holler if ya need to talk.

Booger
 
Thanks everyone! Going easy these days. Yesterday the PT put a Tens machine on my knee during icing. It was nice. Does anyone see any value in it? I’m thinking of buying one online (not too bad at $30).
I’m at 8 weeks post-op today and am so excited to wake up in the morning and not be writhing in pain and soreness. Today I went grocery shopping and walked all over the store. Boy am I paying for it in knee swelling but also some aches in my lower back. I’m thinking I was a bit overzealous. I just want to be fully functioning again Sorry to whine! I must remember patience!
 
I had a tens unit for my last knee. It was effective in the later months and saved me from needing pharmaceuticals in my body. I forgot about it but will dig it out shortly!

Yesterday, after I prepped a bunch of apples, my lower back was very sore. During the activity, I noticed that I was protecting my right leg by standing at an angle so that much of my weight was on the left leg. I noticed this stance last week and have been trying to correct it by squaring up to the counter and balancing on both legs when I become aware. This may be unrelated to your back pain but I thought I'd share.
 
I know that this is a very subjective question, but when should the feeling in your knee no longer feel
like pain? When I walk, I feel like something is yanking very hard on my knee. It’s not a sharp pain, but more like a startling yank. It makes me slow way down and wonder whether I should keep walking. I usually will stop and try to massage my knee to try to loosen it a bit. Is that a familiar feeling for you?
 
Hey Tryhard, we are only about 1 week apart in surgery dates. I still feel pain in my knee, leg, calf, ankle whether it be thru the night while ‘trying’ to sleep, sitting watching tv, walking, or just pottering around the house. I know it’s probably part of the healing, but I always have that little niggle in the back of my mind that it could also be something else. What I do know is the pain is no where near what it was weeks ago & I can get thru more activities each day before I have to stop, rest & ice.
 
...but I always have that little niggle in the back of my mind that it could also be something else

Yes, that's exactly my feeling, too, @Scanne. Every little "tweak" sets off my worry gene. Probably less of an issue for folks who are on their 2nd knee. At least, I hope that's the case why I get to #2 next year.
 
Yesterday the PT put a Tens machine on my knee during icing. It was nice. Does anyone see any value in it?

They put the tens machine on me after every PT session while I'm icing. I like it. I think she said it helps break up the pain. I know I always feel better when leaving PT after icing and doing the tens.
 
What I do know is the pain is no where near what it was weeks ago & I can get thru more activities each day before I have to stop, rest & ice.

Yes, my pain is much better than it was. I feel a bit like I’ve reached a standstill with the pain and stiffness though. When I get up in the morning, my knee is SO stiff. It loosens some as I move around but of course not as much as I would like. I’m still living in fear that when I go see the surgeon for my follow up in a week he will tell me that I need a Manipulation. At my last appointment, they were thinking I would need one. As of now, I plan to take his advice if it means greater ROM in the long run. Hopefully I would be right in doing that. My ROM got to 99 at PT last week. Any opinions or advice?
 
Back
Top Bottom