THR Recovery after sudden pain at 5 weeks post-op

Happy New Year to everyone on here! I hope everyone had a great holiday and is doing well.

I went for a walk with my OH on the beach in the sun on New Year's Eve and felt quite euphoric...for the first time it suddenly became clear to me that I now have a working hip! I even went for a little joyful run (or rather, jog!) in the firm sand. I am regaining a lot of confidence and ease of movement (and more natural movement) generally. I'm going for my follow up with my surgeon next Friday (10th Jan) , which is my 12 week anniversary, and hope he'll lift at least some of my restrictions (90 deg rule, putting on socks, having bath, light gardening etc etc).
I do still get stiff and sometimes a bit sore after a longer than usual (or uphill) walk, and often still have some discomfort at night. I can sleep on both sides now, which is such a relief - but I tend to be woken up by aching after a while and have to change position.
Started (tentatively) doing exercises again but building up very gradually. I go up and down stairs close to normally now but I do notice that it still takes a slight extra effort to go up and I still mostly hold the banister.
 
@flamingoprint Happy New Year to you, as well! That is such a great update. It's hard to remember that our bodies continue to heal even through a year or more. When we start to forget about our hip, we know we're doing just fine. You will continue to notice small changes (for the better!) as you go along. I distinctly remember (well into my recovery) getting into bed on my leg and just going down to my hip and then lying flat. My immediate thought was: "Wow, I haven't been able to do that in years!" It's the small victories now but huge celebrations of gratitude well into the future. Blessings for continued good progress and healing.
 
Hi everyone
I had my 3 month check up with hospital today - I thought I was going to see my surgeon but actually saw the head physio on his team. Apparently my surgeon likes patients to see the physio at this stage because they (patients) usually want to ask about activities and restrictions ( very true in my case!) Upshot was very encouraging. The only two restrictions remaining, until 6 months, are crossing legs at the knee and twisting to reach for something on the outside of the operated leg. He said I was fine for swimming (incl breaststroke), putting on socks as I feel comfortable (still difficult on operated side), kneeling, having a bath, gardening and carrying reasonable weights (eg picking up pots from ground) and most exercises. No more 90deg rule hooray!!!
He's going to ring in another month to see how things are going.
 
Wonderful update! You're making great progress, flamingoprint!
You're coming up on three months post op already. Since I'm here...wishing you a Happy Three Month Anniversary a few days early. I hope you have a great year! :)
@flamingoprint
 
I know it's all going well and I shouldn't grumble...but can't help remembering how much easier/quicker it was after the resurfacing on my right hip. Pretty similar procedure in terms of incision and posterior approach (complete with soft tissue cutting etc) but I was pretty well 'back to normal' (whatever that means!) by now. I know I jumped back in the bath after 6 weeks was up and I don't remember all the getting down/up struggles.
I don't know why - was it the op (resurfacing instead of THR) or my age (16 years younger which is a lot!!) Who knows? Probably a combination of both. Not much point in comparing I know - it is as it is - I'm also sure in another few months I won't know the difference. I'm grateful to my right hip and the surgeon who did the resurf though - the implant is still strong and has supported me well through all the troubles with my left.
 
Both procedures take time to recover from. I do believe, age, as you mentioned can come into play in regard to healing as well as overall health and physical condition going into surgery. It takes patience and time and no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. You're doing well! Keep it up and before you know it you'll be back to all that you love. Happy Wednesday!
@flamingoprint
 
Thanks Layla. It is all coming back quite rapidly now. Movements are feeling much more natural and I can finally dry between my toes! Swimming a lot and walking too, no limp. I think obeying the restrictions I was given for so long had conditioned me to move unnaturally and now I'm freed in my head (if that makes sense) I'm starting to move more normally and stretch out all those muscles! Spring is not so far away here and the first snowdrops are out, won't be long till seed planting begins...x
 
Movements are feeling much more natural and I can finally dry between my toes! Swimming a lot and walking too, no limp.
Sounds like you are doing really well. Just remember to keep it slow and steady as you continue to heal.
:flwrysmile:
 
Lovely update! I'm happy for you that you're doing so well.
Aah...Spring, I can't wait! Sounds like you can't wait either and you'll be all the stronger by then too. :flwrysmile:
Take good care!
@flamingoprint
 
Small victories are the best (drying between toes)! Might not mean a lot to someone that never had the surgery but to a recovering hippie any thing you can do now you couldn't do even a couple of weeks ago is a reason to celebrate!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom