TKR Recovering Great and Then A Loud POP

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are they going to do an MRI with all that metal in the knee?? i have 3 staples and the MRI is a total blur.. told the another OS that I couldn't have one 'cause of the staples, but he still made me go. went back to his office and he said 'too much metal to get a good picture'... DOH!!! he was such an azz...
 
Thanks for writing back it has been a long journey. I have hopes that it will soon be over. Just taking a long time. People like you are bone smart people seem to understand what's going on.

After having my knee replaced for about a year , it became infected. I had two surgeries about a year ago one was a spacer for six weeks and the other one was the new knee replacement. Even now if I walk too much, it swells up , i and I I can't walk the next day.

I'll go back to the doctor Tuesday. I hope it will get better soon,
Has anyone had similar experiences?
 
tori645 I don't know...when I had the xray last week I was told the same thing about the metal. The MRI is not like the one in their office where you put your knee in it...it's an open MRI on a table and I have no idea if that makes a difference. Will let you know next week.
By the way - it does seem like no one listens to what you are saying plus having to tell a jillion drs, nurses, pt's, etc the same thing over and over. Totally frustrating!
 
Four Knee Replacements I was wondering about your name...now I know. That sounds absolutely awful. Do you know what caused the infection? I did hear of a friend of a friend who had to have something like that done but never got any details. Can't imagine having the problems you are having. Maybe if you started a new thread someone would see it who has been in your situation. Good luck to you - I hope things go better from now on.
 
Sorry to bump you thread and sorry for your troubles LonghornNan. It is very upsetting when things go POP!! Trust me, I know.
Actually, I was responding to your wondering if anyone has experienced the troubles that Four Knee Replacements has had. Just check out my thread, Mechanical Loosening, Hedgep. If it can happen it has and still is.
Praying that your MRI shows nothing but the need to rest and not rush through PT. I will soon have surgery that will be the 6th time through my quad. There is NO therapist alive that will rush me through anything.
Blessings
 
I don't know what caused the infection.
my doctor said it probably occurred during the first surgery , don't know . I have a friend who goes to church with a doctor who had an infection also. He said probably the lowest paid person in the operating room failed to clean something that could caused an infection during the next surgery .

don't know
 
Four Knee Replacements, I hope that was a joke on someone's part! They take such extreme care with bone operations in an orthopaedic theatre - even more so than in an ordinary operating theatre. It really isn't dependent on someone remembering to clean something.
 
Definitely not a kind or even accurate remark, for everyone's information! I have only observed in OR, and the only personnel I've seen, in my very limited OR experience, who have risked contamination have been doctors!!!

I understand that joint infections can come from another part of the body.
 
So true, Mayo52. I had a bone infection that was discovered during a revision surgery. It definitely did not come from the OR room. I brought it with me.
 
Regarding infection...the thing I've always been cautious about after my other knee replacement six years ago is any dental work.
 
Sorry to hear about your situation - the PT you are doing sounds absurd so close to surgery. I am 3 weeks out and I still cannot do straight leg lifts.

I would not return to an agressive PT who is causing injury and delaying your recovery :hissy: I have no formal PT or ROM measurement in Sweden
 
I had the MRI today and made a big mistake by not opting for sedation and since I'm not claustrophobic they didn't see a reason to have it. About 30 minutes into the procedure my muscles started to spasm. It ended up taking over an hour and I was in agony by the time it was done. Had I only known beforehand they could do pain control with sedation I certainly would have gone that route. So the 20/25 minute scan took over an hour. I took two percocets before they started and a xanex thinking that should be enough and it didn't even come close. I seem to be making wrong decisions at every turn - I could have stopped it but couldn't stand the thought of starting the scan over another day. My OS has called in a muscle relaxer and that's something I should have asked for days ago as my thigh muscles have been cramping a lot. I should get results on Thursday and am really hoping that nothing shows up that requires more surgery. Hopefully I'll be at a point soon that I'm not such a downer. Just one of those days where nothing seems to go right.
 
Oy. This recovery is not for sissies, and that's on the good days. So sorry this has to be so difficult.
 
Rest ice elevate on Wednesday. That's an order! So so so sorry you're going through this. (Oh, and try to watch a funny movie or something really distracting.) (And chocolate.)
 
I got the results of my MRI today. It shows a "full thickness tear of the quadriceps tendon with 3cm of tendon retraction". Meaning I have to have surgery to repair it. Got a locking cast today which I will also wear after the surgery for 6 weeks. No therapy for 6 weeks and pretty much doing nothing for 6 weeks. Needless to say I'm bummed about it. Mad at myself for listening to a PT instead of my knee. Irritated that the PT underplayed the seriousness of the POP when it happened. My thigh is still spasming and I'm taking a muscle relaxant for that. I know one thing...I'll do the rehab at my pace - not someone else's.
I am so grateful for this group as a sounding board and for the common sense advice.
 
Make sure that the PT sees that report!! Maybe he/she will learn something.

Please take care of yourself - lots of rest, with chocolate and a good book or movie! :flwrysmile:
 
Wow. That is pretty shocking news. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I agree that you should have some words with the therapist about it. But I also believe you should talk with the manager of the rehab clinic. They really owe you LOTS of apologies.....at a minimum!!

I'm going to tag Josephine, because I think she will be interested to hear the diagnosis. We're here for you.....know it may be a bit tough until you get this behind you. Take care of yourself!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom