Bilateral TKR Recovering from BTKR

Bucky1111

Country
United States United States
Hi
I am in my 5th week of recovery bilateral tkr and this is absolutely the hardest thing I’ve ever done. It can be depressing and extremely painful. I’m not sure if I’m doing the right exercises because my knees are totally swollen right now and I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I walked around got maybe half hour today and now both of my knees are majorly swollen. I am elevating, icing, and taking meds and still I am in alarming pain. Is this normal? I isolate myself because all I can think and talk about is my knee pain so now here I am on the forum Looking for good advice and learning from other peoples recovery process

Wow both knees - I am towards the end of week 5 and struggling with only one PKR. After a good start and then a set back I do very little excercise mostly just daily functions. I do the excercises that don't give me pain and take meds to relieve pain. I have had more pain/discomfort over the last two days but I am hoping that this is just due to the next stage of healing. I am sure someone will add a post that will give you more information and support - just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

@Bucky1111 Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. What was the date of your BTKR? We will put the information in your signature for you.

Are you icing and elevating as much as possible? It is the swelling that is causing you pain. Ice will reduce the swelling.

What exercises are you doing? Over the years we have found that new knees respond better to the gentle approach - no forcing.

I'm going to tag my colleague @Roy Gardiner to come and chat with you. He also had BTKR and is back to an active life again.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

this is absolutely the hardest thing I’ve ever done
Can't disagree with that; the thing is, it will be worth it, so hang in there.
I walked around got maybe half hour today and now both of my knees are majorly swollen
This is the essence of the BoneSmart message; if you get pain or swelling after doing something, do less of it.

Wow both knees - I am towards the end of week 5 and struggling with only one PKR. After a good start and then a set back I do very little excercise mostly just daily functions. I do the excercises that don't give me pain and take meds to relieve pain. I have had more pain/discomfort over the last two days but I am hoping that this is just due to the next stage of healing. I am sure someone will add a post that will give you more information and support - just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
Thank u sooo much for responding. I’m up at 4am elevating and icing and crying lowly so my children cant hear me.
i go to physical therapy 3x weekly and all he wants to do is manipulate my knees to get good range of motion and that hurts like heck.
I take pain meds but my dr is kinda making me feel like I have a problem because he said people normally don’t take meds after the third week. I only take them when I’m in pain but then they say to take it before the pain starts. Idk I’m just going to stay positive and keep trying to do my best

i got to physical therapy 3x weekly and all he wants to do is manipulate my knees to get good range of motion and that hurts like heck.
Ask him to explain exactly why pain is necessary. Because the BoneSmart view is that pain is counterproductive and that movement to the point of discomfort only is all that's needed.
I take pain meds but my dr is kinda making me feel like I have a problem because he said people normally don’t take meds after the third week.
Really? I think that is misleading and that many people take painkillers for longer than thatt.

i got to physical therapy 3x weekly and all he wants to do is manipulate my knees to get good range of motion and that hurts like heck.
Ask him to explain exactly why pain is necessary. Because the BoneSmart view is that pain is counterproductive and that movement to the point of discomfort only is all that's needed.
I take pain meds but my dr is kinda making me feel like I have a problem because he said people normally don’t take meds after the third week.
Really? I think that is misleading and that many people take painkillers for longer than thatt.
I’m definitely going to ask my PT why he thinks that forcing my knee back is the best way to go

I guess according to your OS that I must also not be normal - I am just about to move into week 6 and pain med level is same as it was in week one with the odd exception of mission out one of the ibuprofen tablets if I can to try to reduce using nsaids but if I am in pain I will take medication.
I hope you have had a better night. Take care xx

I keep saying this but you bilaterals are really really my hero's . I am not sleeping very well yet again and the three and four am start to nod off is getting to me now.
I tried pillows length ways, then put my head at the bottom of the bed and leg with yet more pillows . I walked, sat on the edge with head on pillow sooo tired I tried left I tried right with pillows between legs. This morning I have been awoken by a phone call at 10.30 am ( I was of course fast asleep) now I find my backs killing me .. I have lower back degeneration so obviously all my nightime gymnastics hasn't helped!
I am so frustrated and feeling very sorry for myself. So to think some people actually have this done on two knees at once... Well wow Wow wow...
RESPECT!

Not only am I in awe of all you bilaterals but I really do wish you well on you recovery and progress.
I guess there is the knowledge for you that once both knees have recovered that's the legs sorted for you and you won't have to think about making the choice of whether to have the other leg done because you will be sorted.
Just think you can buy new shoes and know they will be your " forever shoes" you won't have to replace them again.
When you see just one loaf of bread is left on that supermarket shelf you will have the umph needed to go get it.
You can blow your own trumpet.. you will have been there done that and got the now almost faded scars to prove it!
Well done to is all be it one knee or both we should all get a huge pat on the back for what we have achieved

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

i go to physical therapy 3x weekly and all he wants to do is manipulate my knees to get good range of motion and that hurts like heck.
Not only is this not necessary, it is the wrong rehab approach for your particular knee. You don’t have to allow this.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

@Bucky1111 - I am so sorry you are in so much pain and struggling right now. This surgery is MAJOR and I cannot imagine any doctor saying most people are off pain meds at 3 weeks. That is very misleading - maybe he meant they are off any opioids? Everyone is different and you know how you are managing or not managing your pain not the doctor or any other well meaning friend for that matter. It’s crucial to manage your pain and swelling all through recovery. So you do what you need to do. Ice constantly and take your meds on time - don’t miss a dose so you keep on top of it. I had a setback with an over aggressive PT so no more Physio for me after 3 weeks. I have rehabbed with normal daily activities and some in home basic stretches at the suggestion of my OS. Many of us have had to tell our therapists that it’s too much and we won’t do as we are told :loll:they don’t always know best - shock horror it’s true!
read all the guidelines you’ve been given and feel free to complain and vent on here. There are plenty of us to listen and share our own experiences- this is a very hard surgery to recover from but recover you will. Sending healing thoughts to you.

Bucky, don’t despair. I had bilateral, and at five weeks felt about the same as you. Remember that your body is healing two major surgeries, so don’t compare yourself to others.
Half an hour on my feet would wipe me out for the rest of the day too at five weeks. Unless necessary, just don’t do it, ten minutes walking at a time is enough. Keep your knees moving and bending frequently, but not to the point of pain. It just isn’t necessary. Neither are the painful exercises.
I had my first decent night’s sleep at around 10 weeks, but not reliably until a few weeks later. Then you will start to feel better, and the swelling will start to improve a lot. Then you’ll be able to be more active.
From five months onwards, your strength will really start to return as activity will become less painful.
I’m at nearly nine months now, more or less as strong as I ever was, stood around for four hours a few days ago, and still swelled up a bit. But it wasn’t painful, just a bit tight. Even now, I still take an occasional painkiller if necessary.
You’ll get there eventually. All the best.

I keep saying this but you bilaterals are really really my hero's . I am not sleeping very well yet again and the three and four am start to nod off is getting to me now.
I tried pillows length ways, then put my head at the bottom of the bed and leg with yet more pillows . I walked, sat on the edge with head on pillow sooo tired I tried left I tried right with pillows between legs. This morning I have been awoken by a phone call at 10.30 am ( I was of course fast asleep) now I find my backs killing me .. I have lower back degeneration so obviously all my nightime gymnastics hasn't helped!
I am so frustrated and feeling very sorry for myself. So to think some people actually have this done on two knees at once... Well wow Wow wow...
RESPECT!
Omg!!! Everything u just said I go thru daily!! I am actually rearranging pillows as I text!
Right now it feels like some one it ringing and twisting my knee caps. There is sooo much pressure. I don’t know what’s going on

Please give us your surgery date and we’ll make a signature for you. This shows in every post snd helps us advise you appropriately. :flwrysmile:

There is sooo much pressure. I don’t know what’s going on
This pressure is swelling. Make sure you are elevating a good part of the day. Ice, or some cold source, will help with pain and to alleviate swelling. We recommend 45-60 minutes at a time, just be sure to have cloth between the cold source and your skin.

@Bucky1111 Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. What was the date of your BTKR? We will put the information in your signature for you.

Are you icing and elevating as much as possible? It is the swelling that is causing you pain. Ice will reduce the swelling.

What exercises are you doing? Over the years we have found that new knees respond better to the gentle approach - no forcing.

I'm going to tag my colleague @Roy Gardiner to come and chat with you. He also had BTKR and is back to an active life again.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
Hi! Thanks for having me! I’m not sure if I’m navigating this site correctly.
I had BTKR on October 20, 2021. It’s feels like I’ve been in labor for 5 weeks!
I had PT earlier and he pushes my knees to force a range of motion. I feel awful right niw

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member