Guest viewing is limited

Reassurance please!

I agree no artificial feeling at all in either hip. Anny’s Description of grit moving around fits what happened with mine. Had ne thinking it might just get better then I had the collapse with left hip and constant pain. Glad I got right hip done before that point. Like jacey said, I didn’t want to go there again.

It is a decision only you can make, we just share our experiences. It is a major surgery but I can honestly say I am glad I have had both of these hips replaced with new so I can keep active.
 
Thank you all for your reassurances. I know I'm going to have this op. I got to the point last night where I could only walk around the house leaning on the furniture. I've even had to look out a walking stick that I'd had bought for me as a joke for my 60th! Not such a joke now though. This morning it's not playing up as much, but I know how suddenly that can change. I think half of my trouble is I can't let go of the fact that I wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't been misdiagnosed way back, so I keep thinking of the what if's, when really I should be thinking of the way forward. I had keyhole surgery on my feet a couple of years ago, as I had OA in my big toe joint and needed a bit of bone shaved off to make life more comfortable - which it did - but I didn't feel half as bitter about that op, because it was my body that had let me down and not a pompous consultant! The end result is obviously the same, but I still keep thinking I shouldn't be having to have the op at all. Not helpful. The other hip is "as good as can be expected for my age" and I keep thinking this dodgy one would be as well, if only ...... Anyway, if only's won't get me walking again. (My mother said she's old enough to not mind being imprisoned for shooting the original consultant - she's obviously angry about it too!!) As they kept singing in Frozen - let it go, let it go!!!...
 
Your age and the fact that you have remained active should be a big plus for a seamless recovery.
Those of us with Hip pain free lives can see how much better life is and want it for you too!
:egypdance:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 - I take great comfort from what you say. It's all well and good having friends, who've never had the op, urging me to have it, but it's so much better hearing the reality from somebody who's actually had it! (I do appreciate that it's not plain sailing the whole way through, but at least if it ends up better it should be worth it.)
 
Not just better....WAY better.
You aren't defective, just the dumb old hip. It's not a failure and it isn't a walk in the park at first.
But as we get older, a year goes by so quickly.
As I come up on eleven months, I am thrilled how much "younger" I've gotten.
You have a great recovery tool in bonesmart.
 
I'm sorry for the pain you're suffering physically and emotionally.
I'm concerned about what may happen in the interim if you don't have
anything scheduled yet. On average, how long will you need to wait from the time
surgery is scheduled until it occurs? That's what worries me...
Prayers for mental clarity on all :prayer:
@Cassidy
 
You are younger @Mojo333! Joking aside, it's the thought of being able to walk on holiday that's pushing me on! And I'm intending to take more of those in the next few years .... I'm seeing the OS next Monday, @Layla, as he wanted to check the MRI and blood test for possible residual infection, but if all goes well I imagine it could be any time soon. I think he added me to the "list" back in January, and although I was initially told several months, a fellow swimmer who went on the list in November could have been admitted a few weeks ago had he not been in Egypt at the time! So going by that .... I'd like to get past 17th March, as it's my parents 63rd Wedding Anniversary and we're meeting up (they live down in Devon, which is approx. 4 hrs drive from me - probably not far in the US, but a bit further in the UK!), but any time after that would be good, before I bottle out!
 
@Cassidy I hope you know how helpful your post has been to me, I’ve shared all of your concerns and get the reassurance I need from all of the wise folks on this site. I’m 11 days from surgery and getting more anxious each day. I’ve made a list titled ‘Why I’m doing this now’ with all of the reasons I should plow ahead. I also have a list of reasons to wait, but in comparison, that list looks a bit like grasping at straws and not really convincing.
By the way, I just had a railing installed and the gentleman who put it in had both hips replaced 10 years ago when he was in his 50’s. He’s doing great.
 
It's a journey for sure. A journey on the way to surgery. Then again in recovery.
From experience...the journey after recovery is WAY easier than the one leading up to
surgery. So you almost have the worst part over!
Warm wishes for comfort and a great weekend to you!
@Cassidy
 
Hello @AJinNH. Glad my ruminations are of help to you! I believe I may think too much though! - and worry. I always say if I wasn't worried about something I'd be worried. I don't know how your symptoms compare with mine, but the fact that my pains have been so spasmodic have made me think that maybe I should wait, but recently it's been getting worse, so I now know what I need to do. I go to a swimming pool for mostly older people, and they were comparing knee and hip scars this morning! All of them swim quite masterfully up and down the pool, so there's hope yet. I see you've got a date for your op, so I'll watch your thread with interest and obviously let everybody know once I've got a date. I'm sure we'll both be fine, and that the over-thinking and trepidation will be worse than the actual doing. In some ways I'd like to get it over and done with as soon as possible, so that I can start on the healing side, and I'm sure you think the same really.
 
@Cassidy @AJinNH You will feel so much better after surgery, well maybe not the first week or two, but it does happen! I think we all had concerns about going through with it, but I know it's the best thing I could have done. By the time I had surgery my hip was bone on bone and I couldn't get around without using a crutch. Life is so much better now. I wish you both well and will look forward to your recovery. Hugs!
 
Thank you for your input @Miggie. My main problem with the surgery is that on some days (today, for example) I hardly notice the pain in my hip, and on those days I wonder why I'd want to have increased pain - which is what I keep reading about - post-surgery. On my painful days, which come in two's and three's without warning, I think I'm doing the right thing. I'm not wishing the more painful days on myself - who would? - but they do at least reassure me that things can only get better. I think @AJinNH is my partner in crime!
 
@Cassidy - you have choices, two of which are do something or do nothing. Many here have forewarned you of how things go with a deteriorating hip joint. Early on I had minimal pain at times and, like everyone else, it got worse over time. You could go years without it getting awful on a daily basis for all you know. Or it could only be weeks.e By the time I had my surgery on 6 March I was using crutches to get around so I wouldn’t weight bear on damaged side. Surgery showed labral tear, bone on bone OA, and bone fragments.

You’ve mentioned post-op pain being a concern. Mine has been sitting at 1-2 and while I’m typing this I’ve got my leg elevated and am icing and I’ve got no pain. None. Only tears I’ve shed post-op have been happy ones to not have the awful hip pain I had pre-op. It’s just awesome.

Good luck with your decision!
 
I've been reading your post-op thread @hikejunkie, and am so pleased that your pain levels haven't been too high. I must admit that I don't take painkillers now, as mine isn't a constant, throbbing pain that would be alleviated by medication, more a sudden electric shock when I turn the wrong way, that turns into a stiff sort of tightness. Sometimes I have to limp for a bit and then sit down, and can feel it in my groin and knee, but I can mostly remedy it by just not walking anywhere. I sort of keep testing it to make sure it still hurts! (when it does I have no doubts, believe me!) I hope you continue to progress well, not just from a selfish point of view, but because I hate to think of all these people in pain - even if it's only for a week or two - sounds long enough to me. Happy healing! :SUNsmile:
 
I saw the OS this morning, who said that my blood test had come back clear as far as infection is concerned, and the MRI scan doesn't show any obvious trace of infection, so I'm good to go. The joint is pretty bad (which it did me good to see, to convince me that I wasn't imagining things and accept the need for the op). He said he does the posterior approach, with spinal anaesthetic, but the waiting list is 4 - 5 months, so I'm going to ring the hospital on Thursday and see if I was added to the list in January, or just today. Either way, at least my mind is made up (or made up for me!), so now it's just a waiting game. I could probably get the op sooner if I didn't want to stick with the OS I saw but, as he's been recommended to me, I think I'll wait for him.
 
Well done - sounds like you are moving forward! Ring the hospital and keep ringing them until you get a date. Sometimes you need to be your own advocate. And you do want to make sure you are indeed on the list. Hope the wait isn't too long!
 
I had the same surgeon I had 6 years ago for my left hip do the right one. For me, it was important to have trust and I just honestly like the guy. If you’re comfortable with who you met with, stick with him.
 
I'm happy to hear it @Cassidy We all know how difficult this decision has been for you.
Hearing from your OS that the joint is pretty bad will help you move forward.
Scheduling the appt will change your focus. Rather than vascilating back and forth, "should I, or shouldn't I"
you'll be able to get in the mindset that you are being pro-active about your health and doing something positive to regain your life without pain and limitations. I'm happy for you. This is good.
Wishing you peace of mind as you move forward.
 
Thanks @Jaycey, @hikejunkie and @Layla - and just to prove a point, my hip has been really sore today! I think it's been given permission to hurt. I must admit that it's quite nice to have the input from a UK viewpoint, as well as the US, as I don't know how much the systems vary in terms of waiting times - the NHS in this country is really suffering at the moment, and waiting times have got longer and longer. I don't think we have things such as joint school either! It's really interesting to see all the differences. And what's our equivalent to Tylenol - I don't think I've heard of that before?!
 
Paracetamol.
Glad you are getting rid of that hip pain and moving forward.
I've never regretted having mine replaced.
:egypdance:
 
Back
Top Bottom