TKR Ready for Recovery TKR Left (9 years since right)

Sounds like things are going well! I think no matter what your ROM is, the PT would say they'd like you about 5 points higher - haha!
Truth!
 
First day back today!
Got kicked by a kid in knee...my bad ...didn't get out of the way soon enough

Alot of swelling after 3 hours . Then iced and I'd 2 more hours
Then went home iced and knee just almost back to the amount of swelling before

Hope tommorow goes well
 
Oh no! No sucker for that kid! :wink:
I hope with lots of icing and a good nights sleep, you're feeling better tomorrow.
@Dearjr
 
Eek!!!! Ice and elevate that baby knee!
 
I went to both PT and Ortho today

Finally got on regular bike instead of recumbent
Did well

Went to Ortho who was concerned that my calf is still swollen and hard along with knee and upper thigh
He said to keep moving at PT and use compression stockings thigh high and will reevaluate in a month

Even though the swelling is annoying I can walk up stairs great now one after the other and now added.walking down ...slowly ....one after the other

Anyone here has a hard swollen calf I had a ultrasound and no DVT

Maybe I have lymphedema...anyone has that

Just need some words of encouragement. I'm getting down because of this calf
 
It's good you were cleared of DVT.

If it's lymphedema, you might benefit from a very gentle self-care lymphatic drainage. Our staffer CricketHip has experience and describes the technique.

This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying flat on your back, take deep slow breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.
 
@Dearjr I don't have the swollen calf this time, but I did in 2019. My calf was swollen/knotted so much I couldn't walk flat-footed the first 4 weeks. It got better through weeks 5-6, but took a lot of stretching and heat, plus manual massage by my PT. We did more soft tissue work the first 5 sessions than anything. My calf is okay this time, but my Achilles area is hard as a rock, super tight. I've already started stretching that to get some relief.

However, with both TKRs I had/have the huge swollen quad (right above the knee), with an actual hard bulge on the lateral outside quad. It's actually really hard across the entire quad, but thankfully not as bad as 2019. My surgeon commented on it this morning but knows my history with extreme swelling. If I hold true to the last 14 years, I'll have this bulge for 8-10 months, and it will very (VERY!!) slowly go down. It's the area/compartment where I hold most of my fluid, and I've had numerous PTs tell me this is common for most people. So I'm just saying I think in THAT aspect, you're normal. Even if it's getting old quickly. The PA told me this morning some people have bad swelling for an entire YEAR!!

I was actually telling my husband I could see some definition on the left side of my knee this morning. Then we drove to my post-op appointment (1 hour north), walked the parking lot to get in as it wasn't far, walked to x-ray, back to the waiting room, back to x-ray because they forgot one, back to the waiting room, then to the pick-up area, as there was no way I could get to the car. I didn't recognize the quad and lateral side of my knee all that because I swelled up badly again. The surgeon was ok with my knee motion, and I reminded him it was even better before walking on it all morning. I don't know that he believed me. :bored:

I only say this because to me, swelling is the biggest enemy after knee surgery--especially the major ones! I hope you get some relief soon, as it's hard to be back at work with limited ability to ice/elevate, but still hurt and have trouble moving. You are rocking the stairs and the exercise bike though. I can go up the stairs okay but haven't attempted down....and I'm still scared of my bike. Hang in there, and I'm thinking of you.
 
Last edited:
I will try them even though I'm not sure it's lymphedema. The calf is hard and swollen but the foot below is not that swollen
Yes...try the exercise anyway.
It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

I read a while back...
After a sports injury or surgery, lymph vessels can become overwhelmed with the demand placed on them. When tissues are swollen, deep tissue techniques may actually cause damage to the lymph vessels and surrounding structures. Lymphatic massage is often the treatment of choice, because it helps the body remove proteins and waste products from the affected area and reduce the swelling. This helps reduce pressure on cells and allows them to reproduce faster to heal the body.

Have a great day!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you enjoyed the weekend. Have a great week!
@Dearjr
 
Thanks so much for the wishes
Calf is softer in am and then when I stand and sit at work it gets hard again. Ice during lunch with elevation helps
Visibly I think the thigh is going down
The back of the knee swelling at the top of the calf impedes full flexion . Still icing at least twice a day and started moist heat
I've been waking up around 3 or 4.am for no good reason I could see.and hard to fall back asleep

Getting regular PT and she will start massaging calf this week along with thigh and gentle manipulation
Walking much better and thinking of getting on my treadmill for a 10 minutes slow walk
Able to walk down steps almost completely comfortably
Now i'd like to be able to chase after a 2 1/2 year old grandchild ...lol
I'll put pickle ball on hold for now too!

Hope you all have a great week and keep healthy!
 
That's a good update.

Not sure about the efficacy of moist heat when the swelling is, one month out, still acute inflammation (and I say this as someone who normally abhors cold and thinks moist heat is a wonderful thing).

A bunch of us have experienced ongoing sleep disturbances for a good couple of months or more.

While I slept ok with various sleep aids, either on the guest bed with the Lounge Doctor or just the recliner, it truly felt like I had forgotten how to simply get into bed and go to sleep. It was a transition for sure.
 
I've been waking up around 3 or 4.am for no good reason I could see.and hard to fall back asleep
This happened to me for several months post-op with my most recent knee replacement. I found that getting out of bed and walking back and forth along the hallway for a few minutes helped me settle when I went back to bed. Worth a try?
 
Hi all
Almost week 5!

Still with calf swelling which starts immediately when working. Goes down after icing in evening

Behind knee less swollen I think but not sure

Leg feels heavy at times and tingly
Wearing compression stockings but not sure if working
Ankle starting to be sore too

Went to pool and did exercises which felt good

Didn't sleep with lounge doctor wedge for first time last night and seemed to sleep better. Not sure if swelling will be effected

Overall the knee is just "annoying" with all the sensations and heaviness and numbness and stiffness and sometimes a burning sensation


Have a great Thursday and hope all are getting better
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom