THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

SaraK

Staff member since December 30, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Starting my recovery thread today (to make it easier and because there was a perfect song in anticipation of getting this done)! Surgery at 9am tomorrow (yes, on a Saturday). My second time at this rodeo but still have butterflies.

The final personal preps are in motion or scheduled. Laundry is almost done but, more importantly, 90 minute massage this afternoon and long bubble bath tonight!

@MammaT and @hikejunkie I'll start the process for our trio as we become Left then Right Double Hippies (or do you prefer Hipsters?).

Last edited by a moderator:
@SaraK sending positive healing thoughts your way for your surgery tomorrow. I’m looking forward to reading about your recovery. Keep us posted. :flwrysmile:

What a great idea! A massage and bubble bath.
Well the big day is almost here. All the prep is done and you're ready to go.
I think you'll do great. You know the drill, that helps I'd think...
We'll be here to cheer you on afterward, that you can count on.
Best wishes for a quiet peaceful night. I hope you get some sleep.
See you soon on the "better" side :loveshwr:

Well SarahK-if you notice my age, I was part of the original hippie generation! I am ok with either. Relax tonight and check in with us tomorrow. Be keeping you in thoughts.

Thinking of you.....hope you're doing okay.
Give us a :thumb: when you're feeling up to it.
@SaraK

I do sense a theme, but you're also taking me back to a disco in Mazatlan, Mexico on a girls trip in my very early 20's with that song. Whew, time traveling...... Great memories though :martini: hahaha!

Yahoo....so happy for you @SaraK
You are on the bright side/right side now. It is so sweet to have surgery behind you!
I hope once those legs wake up your pain is well managed. Get lots of rest, use lots of ice.
You know the drill all too well.
Best wishes for a comfortable first night post op.
Hugs to you :egypdance:

Last edited:
Yum - turkey croissant and fruit. Have most of the feeling back in legs. Can do ankle pumps, ankle rolls, heel slides and a little bit of side to side movement.

Safely ensconced in my recliner at home. Took a Norco 10 and 500 mg Tylenol, have ice, pillows under legs to elevate more than normal recliner. Feeling pretty good (feel better and better mobility now than I did at this stage last time. And, yes, I know that means I have to make sure I don't over do it while the meds they pumped in during the surgery are potentially masking pain!

Last edited by a moderator:
@danabanana I guess when you're doing drive through surgery, you get drive through food (but at least upscale fast food). When I checked in this morning, I was given a menu of sandwiches and salads to choose from for my lunch. It included a side and dessert and, while I thought long and hard about the cheesecake brownie, I got fruit for both my side and dessert. I'll probably make up with it later with a vanilla and fudge Drumstick ice cream cone!

That's amazing!!!! I'm in awe of how different your surgery is not only technique wise but just the entire experience. Cheesecake!? I got pudding one day and one cookie another day. Hospital food here is worse than a homeless shelter. It's deplorable. Glad your home and settled in. Sounds like a decent cocktail. I'm definitely curious how the post op pain for Superpath compares to my old barbaric total hip arthroplasty.

Some of the biggest differences is that they don't dislocate the hip, the incision is shorter (and more conducive to disposable stitches and glue) and they don't cut any muscles (they may cut the piriformis tendon if it's too tight and in the way). PT at surgery center that works with tons of my OS patients said to ignore most of what you hear about recovery from other procedures because this is so different (although part of micro posterior family so there are some similar approaches). Not everything you hear about SuperPath is typical, but my only restrictions a nothing strenuous for first 2 weeks and no driving until off the narcotic. i asked specifically about weight machines at gym and OS said OK if i feel up to it but just keep weights low (30 pounds or less) until 1 month checkup.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom